Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Good Mood Cookbook

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Dory Dory wrote: »
    You got them toenails painted red yet??

Not yet. Took flippin ages to even get washed and dressed today, nails had to wait. Crutches need practice too!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Oryx wrote: »
    Not yet. Took flippin ages to even get washed and dressed today, nails had to wait. Crutches need practice too!

Guys dig chicks with bad-@ss wounds who are on crutches - it's that damsel in distress thing. Heck, look at Tunney - he was putty in your hands earlier today after he took one look at your scraped up legs - falling all over himself with compliments of your legs like an adorable school boy. Which leads me to believe, red toenails on top of all that may need to come with a warning label! ;):)

I met my swim coach and another girl I train with occasionally today. Neither recognised me. I don't know if it was the whole invalid vibe or the fact I look rough. :)

Anyway I'm sore, and tired, and yet desperately wanting to do something, ANYTHING, training related. Cmon body, heal!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Wow - sorry to hear that.
    Heal well and you'll be back at it in no time..

It feels wrong not to post on here, so:

So far I've been healing up the cuts and grazes, and getting used to hopping a lot. I am going to have phenomenal balance on my left leg, so thats something. I'm bored out of my tree though. I've already got my cast cover delivered, and am looking around for a shorty wetsuit to borrow. Leg is still too sore and I'm still too grazed to think of swimming yet, but next week I plan to do something, even if it is a just bit of resistance work. I keep getting told to rest but I cannot stay glued to the couch. Its soul destroying. It might aid healing yeah, but Ill be a basket case if I don't get some kind of diversion.

I've spent the week phoning to adjust or cancel all my plans, seeing what can be salvaged from the financial outlay, and contacting people who can advise on the best course of action to help myself heal and come out of this in as good a condition as possible. In other words, I've been as busy as I can be, given I cant make a cup of tea without supervision. I'm feeling pretty upbeat, which I didnt expect, and I hope I can hold onto that.

• Advertisement

Won't be long now and you'll be looking at a few races to sign up for. Part of the healing process, I assure you. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Holy Molly just catching up, recover well and bounce back stronger.

One week down, seven more to go. Nearly there!!!! ;):)

Nearly there? Im still in a temp cast and haven't even been for a proper hospital visit yet :)

Glad to see you're running again. Gives me hope!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

51xYKk93LzL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

• Advertisement

Awwww. An uncanny similarity too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

Awwww. An uncanny similarity too!

probably time to take a trimmer to the legs so ;)

interested wrote: »
    probably time to take a trimmer to the legs so ;)
    I meant that I'm getting more soft and cuddly by the day. :p

I've seen her legs....and I can vouch that they were clean shaven over the weekend. ;)
    Nails not painted though.....

Still not painted. I'll do them soon, when I have something to celebrate.

And have you ANY idea how hard it is to shave your legs while trying to balance on that leg in the shower????

Still not painted. I'll do them soon, when I have something to celebrate.

And have you ANY idea how hard it is to shave your legs while trying to balance on that leg in the shower????

Get a little plastic (or waterproof) stool or chair to sit on in the shower.

Get a little plastic (or waterproof) stool or chair to sit on in the shower.
    Sitting in the shower? Nah, not till Im an OAP, if then!

Got a bone density scan yesterday. My bones are above average, so at least it didn't break because it was brittle. I was hoping to swim, but got talked out of it by my surprisingly sensible clubmate (who is proving a real honest to goodness godsend at the moment - friends are wonderful!) as my cast is now a bit loose and I risk doing myself harm. Strange bit is, I am not at all stressed about it. I think Im actually seeing the bigger picture, this thing needs to heal, that is the priority.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

No bathroom conversions then? :P

http://ablehealthcare.ie/bathroom-conversions/

I am not going to convert my bathroom but funnily enough we built this house to be wheelchair friendly, so no split level floors or other silliness to negotiate.

Last night I did something that will have looked very silly. I did 20 mins one-legged on the turbo. Cycling shorts and a half leg cast is an unusual look. It was awkward but it worked. I reckon I can increase the duration easily enough. I'm told there is a % strength transference from the good limb to the bad, so it is actually worthwhile. I was only half joking about putting a cleat on the cast!

Two weeks of healing done and dusted. Whoop whoop!!! Any pearls of wisdom you'd like to share with us?? :)

• Advertisement

Two weeks of healing done and dusted. Whoop whoop!!! Any pearls of wisdom you'd like to share with us?? :)
    Things I Have Learned While Broken:

Slipper socks make great crutch handle covers.
    Broken bones hurt more than expected.
    Being lazy is easier than expected.
    I have amazing friends.
    Boardsies are amazing friends.
    Little kids think crutches are fascinating and stare at you with open mouths.
    Everyone else asks the same question: 'how did you do that?' (Current answer 'Irish Dancing')
    Planning things beyond the injury helps.
    Hoodies with pockets are essential when you can't carry things.
    I miss getting out early in the morning for a head clearing run more than I miss driving.
    And the hardest thing to admit is that deep down, after five years I needed a break from training. And it took a literal break to make me take one. Timing sucks, but hey. Big lesson.

As they say...sometimes things happen for a reason.
    Enjoy the downtime.....sounds like you're making the best of it....and you'll be fresh as a daisy when your recovery is over! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭MaryB30

Surely there is a crutch race somewhere !!!!!

You are doing great, good to see you in good spirits on Friday swim, even if it was scoring the quality of budgie smugglers.

MaryB30 wrote: »
    Surely there is a crutch race somewhere !!!!!

You are doing great, good to see you in good spirits on Friday swim, even if it was scoring the quality of budgie smugglers.
    That was like a car crash - hard to look away! :D

A new walking cast and a positive prognosis today. Progress! Though as Dory will attest, I currently have 'one ugly motherf*cker of a leg' :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

I like your attitude and positivity. Next year will be a bigger and better year.

I like your attitude and positivity. Next year will be a bigger and better year.

This post comes to you from my turbo as I attempt to work on an efficient pedal technique with one foot in a cast and walking boot. Its tricky!

A new walking cast and a positive prognosis today. Progress! Though as Dory will attest, I currently have 'one ugly motherf*cker of a leg' :)

Yep! Pretty much verbatim!! :D

But what a stunning pink cast you have covering upadorning your one ugly motherf*cker of a leg now! And don't even get me started about your painted tootsies! Swit swoo!!! ;)

One hour easy turbo. Woop! Woop! I won't go into how I fixed my foot to the pedal except to say it involved velcro, a cycling shoe and some inspiration.

• Advertisement

Drumroll please.....

Saturday am
    1300m swim. Fc with pb. Slow because I was taking care not to break the seal on the cast cover. 45mins. It was flipping awesome.

Advertisement