Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Good Mood Cookbook

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Oryx wrote: »
    (I would say keeping me sane but you'd argue that one)

I'm just that predictable:)

Nah, seriously, it's impressive (and useful to you) the work you're getting in under the circumstances. I was crippled for a year in 2010 and used the down time to hone my drinking skills and fatten up. What you're doing will stand to you once the cast comes off.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    I'm just that predictable:)

Nah, seriously, it's impressive (and useful to you) the work you're getting in under the circumstances. I was crippled for a year in 2010 and used the down time to hone my drinking skills and fatten up. What you're doing will stand to you once the cast comes off.
    If anything my diet has improved because I have wonderful relatives ready to gloat if I get fat, and my appetite has dwindled along with my activity levels. Though I am fighting off the urge to get very very drunk. :)

More swimming today. I was late heading to the pool and didn't feel like doing much, but once I got in and started counting lengths, I thought to heck with it, lets go for 120 (3k). No sooner had I thought that than another thought occurred: 3.8k is 152 lengths....

So I swam 1k.
    Then I swam another 1k with paddles.
    Then I swam a third 1k bilateral.
    And sure then what harm, I did the 800 to finish off. I was tired for this last bit but the pull is coming on. And i thought what a thing to giggle at in times to come - doing an IM distance swim in a cast. :) And at 1h 35 it was quicker than my swim in Austria!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

^^^ Whoop whoop!!! ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Pmaldini

you should be the poster girl for the cast cover company:D very impressive dedication to training when most would have used the excuse to lounge around and drink a bit more (referring to myself last summer:()

• Advertisement

A lame few days pardon the pun. Half hearted turbo last night. I had issues trying to fix something and it wrecked my head so I started late and wasn't really into it. Roughly 45 mins.

Swam this evening. In the 20m pool my kids train in which I don't really like. Got 1600m done. All slow pull-like-you-mean-it stuff.

I didn't train yesterday, but after 37 days, the cast is gone! I don't know what it says in my records, but the consultant, who I hadn't seen before, seemed to have me sussed. Unprompted, he warned me off running for another six weeks*, but told me I could swim and cycle to my hearts content. When I asked about physio, he told me I knew all that, and just do all the usual exercises.

Today, I am not quite skipping, but I am walking without crutches and happy to be able to see both shins again!

*I doubt I will be able to last six weeks.

First 'normal' training session post break tonight. A sunny evening 2k ow swim. Not a bother with the foot and I can still remember how to kick (though it still slows me down). The biggest thing that struck me was how different my mindset was. I didn't HAVE to do this as part of a plan, I wanted to do it. Missing out has made me appreciate being able to do this stuff. Ive got my yeehaw back in the five weeks I was off. :)

Another milestone today. My first real bike ride! This was a proper test of where I'm at after all that unwanted rest. Didn't plan to do anything difficult, just steady to see how everything feels. Its actually less painful to cycle than to walk. I was a bit hesitant at first, nervous of coming off. I know how simple it is to do something stupid, and how much gravel hurts :) I don't want to go back there anytime soon.

By the end I had settled in and it was all relaxed and easy. I really had a good time, out in the sun, finally! 70k in 3hrs. No idea of any other stats cos right now they don't matter. Day one of the rebuilding project complete. :)

Child insisted on going to the pool. 1500m while they played with pals. Unintentional double. :)

• Advertisement

More cycling. A 50k pleasure cruise with coffee stop. Well, they did say come back gently :)

So, 120k on the bike in 24 hours is gently? ;)

Dory Dory wrote: »
    So, 120k on the bike in 24 hours is gently? ;)

For us it is ;)

Sea swim tonight. Was gonna do this alone (with mother spotting) but a clubmate turned up too. I got the distinct impression he was minding me. :) 1000m in the evening sunshine with calm, warm water. Really nice.

Turbo this morning. 60 mins easy.

Pool swim tonight. Awkward at first, and tough, but did 10 x 100 alternating pb/fc, 500 pb and finger paddles, 5 x 100 alternating again, 500 pb and power paddles, 20 x 25 hard/easy. 150 sd. 3150 total. Felt like proper swimming by the end.

60 mins turbo. Including intervals out of the saddle for strength. I can't force heavy gears yet so this has to do.

Every day also involves stretching of my foot. Flexibility is slowly coming back, but the achilles is a bugger, mostly during 'push off' actions where its compressed. If anyone has a magic charm for loosening it please share! Right now for rehab I do walking on heels and toes, heel lifts, toe lifts, stretches such as standing on a step and dropping my heels, balancing on one foot, gentle squats to whatever max I can reach, and attempting to sit on my feet yoga style.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

You doing physio? The physio giving it a good hard rub would fix that up...

You doing physio? The physio giving it a good hard rub would fix that up...
    I am not getting physio as part of the hospital treatment, so anything I do comes out of my own pocket. :( This week, I was working on it myself, as it was so chronically stiff, I didnt see how a physio would do more than I could myself. But Ill take your advice and get an appointment for next week.

Club ow swim tonight. This was one of the nicest ow swims I've done anywhere. Lovely evening for it. We swam offshore, 1k out to 'the rock' then parallel for a bit, then back in. It was a little cold in parts, but that's just me being a wuss. Others did it without wetsuits. Beautiful clear water and just enough swell to keep it interesting. Can't wait for the next one like this. 2.4k 55 mins.

94.5k bike today. Stuck for time, had to start at six to get this done. Endurance is there but strength is gone. It took a lot of effort to even get this done in the four hours I had. Wanted to do 100 but that may wait. Relatively hilly and the breeze seemed to be always facing me, but reality is I have a lot of work to do.

• Advertisement

Strength and speed will come back, it's just going to take a little bit of time...so try not to fret. ;) Five weeks with your leg in a cast and I think I'm seeing someone who's been refueled, reset and ready to take things up a notch. !!! :cool:

^^^ three r's all sorted. But I need a fourth: running. Foot still not good even walking. It'll be a long time before I do a marathon again.

Oryx wrote: »
    ^^^ three r's all sorted. But I need a fourth: running. Foot still not good even walking. It'll be a long time before I do a marathon again.

Can you define "long time" ? No. Don't answer that. !!!

A long time means I don't know. But even starting back is weeks away I reckon.

66k bike today. Tried to work a little harder, 2hr 40.

Ow swim. 1200m roughly. Tough water to swim in, big rolling waves. Very hard to stay on track or see anyone else. But warm! I love summer.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

So, what race plans have you made so far?

So, what race plans have you made so far?

I'm not spending (wasting) any more money on races this year. Ive seen enough go down the drain. :)

Got the foot worked on today, just to try and work out some of the gunk that's making it stiff. Got loads more ideas from him for stuff to do to rehab it, and how to prep for getting back to running. S'all good. :)

Foot was much more flexible last night, I could feel a difference already. Did a bit of stabilisation work but that was it.

Got out on the bike this morning, and got lost in a maze of backroads near home. I thought I knew the area I live in, but clearly not. I just kept choosing smaller and smaller roads till I had to get out the gps to see what way to get home! 35.2k in 88 minutes.

• Advertisement

Swimming tonight. 2150 including a 400 on 8 mins dead. I'm ok with that. Means ive not gotten much worse. Ive maintained mediocre. :)

Followed it with ten minutes of aqua jogging. I felt very self conscious doing this but suffered the odd glances. Things you gotta do....

Advertisement