Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Good Mood Cookbook

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

37.5k bike again this morning. Got more lost than yesterday. Am on a mission to figure out the maze of local backroads.

2k ow swim. I was feeling pretty good about this till the girl I was with told me she'd done 9k since monday :). Anyway. In my little world it was a grand swim. Flat calm out so like swimming in a pool.

Bike this morning. Tried putting in a few steeper hills to see how the legs would fare. They were fine but I dropped my chain twice. :( Bloody sram. Glitchy as fook. 29k

Tried a little trot on the lawn afterwards, literally 100m. A sharp protest from the ankle told me I am not ready to run yet. But I had to see. :)

132k on the bike. I didn't get lost but I did get drenched. Rain wasn't meant to be part of the plan! :)

2.3k ow swim this morning. I was dropping my kids to a water safety camp and the sea was so nice - glassy calm - that I popped in for a dip.

Walked a few km in the surf after the swim - if its good therapy for horses it's good enough for me. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

Oryx wrote: »
    2.3k ow swim this morning. I was dropping my kids to a water safety camp and the sea was so nice - glassy calm - that I popped in for a dip.

Walked a few km in the surf after the swim - if its good therapy for horses it's good enough for me. :)

No green-with-envy emoticon .... as well as clean feet, good for the soul ;)

Sore leg day today. So kept things easy - dropped a planned bike ride. Got physio. Progress is slow. Poured out my many woes to a kind listening ear during the afternoon (thanks C), then poured them all out again into the ocean during an hour long swim. Both therapies helped. 2.5k, 60 mins.

One hour turbo this morning. Timing meant I couldn't get out on the bike. Afterwards I went out and did soft gentle jogging reps up and down the lawn for ten minutes. 1.5k altogether (it adds up!) No pain. What I am doing may not be wise, but I just can't sit back and do nothing. I run. Its what I do. Right or wrong, I have to find out where my limit is and I can only do that by pushing up against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

How big is your lawn?? :eek: :eek:

BTH wrote: »
    How big is your lawn?? :eek: :eek:

30m long. 25 laps. My daughter counted. No cheating :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

One hour turbo this morning. Timing meant I couldn't get out on the bike. Afterwards I went out and did soft gentle jogging reps up and down the lawn for ten minutes. 1.5k altogether (it adds up!) No pain. What I am doing may not be wise, but I just can't sit back and do nothing. I run. Its what I do. Right or wrong, I have to find out where my limit is and I can only do that by pushing up against it.

Please don't. Please stop trying to run. Please. :(

Please don't. Please stop trying to run. Please. :(
    Till when?

Edit: I get the caution. I get the warnings. But what my logical but ill informed little brain cannot comprehend is how a short, gentle jog on soft ground is harsher on my leg than being on my feet all day in work, and coping with life at home with two kids, two dogs, a cat and a donkey*.

*An actual donkey. Im not being cruel about my oh or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Till when?

Edit: I get the caution. I get the warnings. But what my logical but ill informed little brain cannot comprehend is how a short, gentle jog on soft ground is harsher on my leg than being on my feet all day in work, and coping with life at home with two kids, two dogs, a cat and a donkey*.

I went for an illicit one mile jog this morning as well. My thinking is if I don't have any pain I'm probably ok. If I get pain I have to stop

Till when?

You shouldn't be doing half of that either. ;) I get the frustration. To be honest, I would be more concerned about causing other injuries while compensating for your leg where muscles and bone may be weak / still damaged etc

Only you know what you can do...but don't rush back.

If an elite wouldn't do it, why should you? They would wait until they were right. We think we're being wussy and tell ourselves to HTFU but sometimes we just need someone to tell us not to be f*cking stupid.

Don't be stupid. :P Be careful. You have nothing to gain. Be careful. Please. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

I know SFA but I have to agree with RacoonQueen.

Take it handy and concentrate on the other two sports.

Maybe set yourself a goal of cycling 300km a week or something just to keep you focused and busy to take your mind off it?

Even hill walking or hiking might help strengthen your leg without doing as much damage as running.

1k ow swim. Another lovely day in paradise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Please slow down Oryx I beg you. Let things heal, honestly an extra few weeks recovery will do no harm, you are rushing back too quick and will do long term damage. I know you hate hearing this big deep down you know it's right.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭MaryB30

I think you are great. As you know.:):)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

^^^ +++1.

postit_note.jpg

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

Nice Ms Racoon but .... I think for one legged running and proper drive this video is much better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4-P1coGbWk

The budget only stretched to the upgrade of 1 leg at the time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

postit_note.jpg
    And planing for February:)

Planning for lots of things. I now have a coach. Woop woop :)

ultraman1 wrote: »
    And planing for February:)

Whoop whoop alright! :D
    Planning for lots of things. I now have a coach. Woop woop :)

Sounds like you might need an events coordinator too! ;):)

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Whoop whoop alright! :D

Sounds like you might need an events coordinator too! ;):)
    You're hired!!

You're hired!!

Oooo...be careful with that. I like to think outside the box!

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Oooo...be careful with that. I like to think outside the box!

We must discuss tactics then!

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭MaryB30

Does this mean I am being Sub letted Coach?:):)

• Advertisement

MaryB30 wrote: »
    Does this mean I am being Sub letted Coach?:):)
    The benefits shall ripple down like a waterfall. :)

Day one of being told what to do, and it makes a nice change. No faffing, just check the plan, and hit the targets. It's VERY different from my own approach (so the naysayers can calm down) and no, I am not allowed to run. Yet.

Advertisement