Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Good Mood Cookbook

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Sounds like a great experience Oryx.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Solobally8 wrote: »
    Sounds like a great experience Oryx.

Am I allowed to ask how you're doing?

Oryx wrote: »
    Am I allowed to ask how you're doing?
    Ha ha of course you can. Mentally I'm doing fine. Physically not so good. I have nerve damage on my shoulder which is causing lots of pain down my arm so I'm not able to do much. It should ease with time though so I'm hoping to be back on the turbo from next week.

Solobally8 wrote: »
    Ha ha of course you can. Mentally I'm doing fine. Physically not so good. I have nerve damage on my shoulder which is causing lots of pain down my arm so I'm not able to do much. It should ease with time though so I'm hoping to be back on the turbo from next week.
    Thats annoying. :( Hope you do get back into it soon.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Ah you should have mentioned you were going, you might have swung my indecision towards going ;)

• Advertisement

Ah you should have mentioned you were going, you might have swung my indecision towards going ;)

I said on another thread, but I didn't decide 100% till 7pm last night.

I said on another thread, but I didn't decide 100% till 7pm last night.

Did it last year myself. Nice event, shame I missed ye!

Did it last year myself. Nice event, shame I missed ye!

Would have been nice to meet up alright. We must communicate more. :)

5 hour bike today. Did a route up to mt leinster, which is a bit of a milestone for me, getting up the climb from kiltealy for the first time since the break. It was a box I wanted to tick. The first two hours my legs felt heavy and tired but picked up a bit of life after that. A cappucino at 3 hrs had me tearing along afterwards. Caffeine is great. :)

This was a solo ride, and great headspace. Coming down the descent off the mountain it was just fabulous. I thought I'm lucky to be able, and free, to take off on the bike in the sun and leave all the worries at home.

122k in 5.05. Not fast (never is) but there was a wee mountain in the middle. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

I did the same distance, in the same time, today. Big difference biking flat vs. biking up hills! Hate climbing myself, but I'd say you are good at it?

• Advertisement

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    I did the same distance, in the same time, today. Big difference biking flat vs. biking up hills! Hate climbing myself, but I'd say you are good at it?
    Well I used to be. Not as strong as before but I never mind climbing, no. Just slog it out. I live on a hill, so every ride finishes with a 6k climb. I think that's helped.

If I had any kind of speed on the flat id be sorted.

Easy week! 1 hr spinning on bike, followed by 15 mins xtraining. In this heat it didn't really seem easy.

Swam this evening, but a tough day was reflected in a less than stellar swim. Still, I punched the numbers and got it done. 1800m of (easy week) build work.

I don't post about it much here, but every day I do strength and mobility work to get my legs back in perfect order. 11 weeks out from the break, it feels like I'm almost there. I have been a good little soldier, and haven't run since my two ill advised attempts a few weeks ago. I hope my penance is nearly over; I'm curious to see what kind of run fitness I have left.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

MaryB30 wrote: »
    Ha, I did 400m in the pool today, forgot my goggles and after 400 I couldn't be bothered.

One should always carry spare everything in their bag. Spare hat spare togs spare goggles.

BTH wrote: »
    One should always carry spare everything in their bag. Spare hat spare togs spare goggles.

Had to get redressed today and out to the car to get googles and flip flops because there was so many pairs in my 'other' bag and none in the one I had in the pool. DON'T LET THIS HAPPEN EITHER. SORT BAGS OFTEN.

Good to hear you're nearly back running Oryx...you'll be surprised how much run fitness you still have I'd say.

There was a lady in the pool tonight merrily swimming up and down with no goggles, just her glasses on. MaryB, you have no excuse! :)

Turbo time this morning. It was an easier session this week, so why did it go so badly, huh? Couldnt hit targets, hr all over the place. Im putting it down to not eating right, or poor sleep, or being too hot, but I dont know. It was just a disaster.

You know as much as I do that sometimes there are just sessions like that. The main thing is you got it done, others might have just given up.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭MaryB30

There was a lady in the pool tonight merrily swimming up and down with no goggles, just her glasses on. MaryB, you have no excuse! :)

I always have an excuse. It might not be relevant but its a damn good excuse.

Swam with a band for the first time last night. Oh my dear jesus christ, why on earth would you choose to use that?!

• Advertisement

Swam with a band for the first time last night. Oh my dear jesus christ, why on earth would you choose to use that?!

Ever use a drag ring? My dog ate mine. Allegedly.

Ever use a drag ring? My dog ate mine. Allegedly.

The band was the most uncomfortable 66m of my life. But apparently I did well to swim two lengths with it without stopping. Did not feel like I was doing well!

What will a drag ring do? Sounds horrendous.

Been thinking of getting one of these http://www.swimkit.ie/products/Finis-Forearm-Fulcrum.html

Maybe I should concentrate on body position though :rolleyes:

I tried fulcrums. I wouldn't bother.

The band was the most uncomfortable 66m of my life. But apparently I did well to swim two lengths with it without stopping. Did not feel like I was doing well!

What will a drag ring do? Sounds horrendous.

Been thinking of getting one of these http://www.swimkit.ie/products/Finis-Forearm-Fulcrum.html

Maybe I should concentrate on body position though :rolleyes:

In my humble opinion your money would be better spent on Agility paddles http://www.swimkit.ie/finis-agility-paddle/ . They will ensure correct entry and catch (they don't work if you don't do it right), and they'll make band work a little easier :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

A pair of large baggy shorts is a cheap way of creating drag :)

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    In my humble opinion your money would be better spent on Agility paddles http://www.swimkit.ie/finis-agility-paddle/ . They will ensure correct entry and catch (they don't work if you don't do it right), and they'll make band work a little easier :)

I think the agility ones were the ones AKW recommended last year. Need to find somewhere that sells them to get the sizing right. Though swimkit have a shop out at the NAC I think?

Tried the fulcrums last night (for two lengths) and like them. Much better than my own paddles (which I never use). Though I did only get the bright idea last night to remove the offending pieces of band that cause pain on my paddles. I have these http://www.wiggle.co.uk/zoggs-matrix-hand-paddles-2014/ and the bottom piece of rubber ends up really uncomfortable after a couple of lengths. Can feel the benefit of them while using them so paddles are something I think I could really benefit from using more regularly.

Swim smooth recommends both though agility and fulcrum as they have different purposes (though swim smooth sell both so...)

I think the agility ones were the ones AKW recommended last year. Need to find somewhere that sells them to get the sizing right. Though swimkit have a shop out at the NAC I think?

Tried the fulcrums last night (for two lengths) and like them. Much better than my own paddles (which I never use).

Swim smooth recommends both though agility and fulcrum as they have different purposes (though swim smooth sell both so...)

Yup, Swimkit are in the NAC, I'm sure I saw agility paddles last time I was out there. You should start off with a size Small (you're not doing enough swimming that you should handle more stress than that on your shoulders). They are good to use with a band, as they speed you up and so counteract any leg sink from the band.

But most importantly, they will correct your entry, catch and pull. I've never used the fulcrum so I probably shouldn't comment on them, but I think the paddles would be sufficient to help your hand entry position and catch. You'll know why, when you use them.

They have them in B2R as well, all sizes.

griffin100 wrote: »
    A pair of large baggy shorts is a cheap way of creating drag :)

A fibreglass cast is pretty effective too.

I had wedding overkill this week, (since when are weddings 2 or 3 day events???) and it played havoc with my training. I missed my club swim, and am crossing my fingers I can get it done tonight. But I got a little jog in yesterday morning, along with doing my strength and mobility stuff outdoors in the middle of a wood, on an island. Makes a nice change. The run was roughly minute on three minutes off and it felt totally fine apart from having no run fitness whatsoever. It was done without the permission of my coach, but as I havent heard from them in ten days, sod it.

• Advertisement

Got my swim done. it was raining but the sea was calm. The swim itself was fine, but occasionally bumping into football sized jellyfish was not. 2k in total, I'm still pulling to the left and swimming off course. :(

Advertisement