Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Good Mood Cookbook

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Just play chauffeur and tour guide for me and we'll call it even. ;)
    Hotel, tour guide (be careful what you wish for), chauffeur, rally driver, anything at all, just make me swim properly!

Just read an article on habit, written in 1887....

The acquisition of a new habit, or the leaving off of an old one, we must take care to launch ourselves with as strong and decided an initiative as possible. Accumulate all the possible circumstances which shall reenforce the right motives; put yourself assiduously in conditions that encourage the new way; make engagements incompatible with the old; take a public pledge, if the case allows; in short, envelop your resolution with every aid you know. This will give your new beginning such a momentum that the temptation to break down will not occur as soon as it otherwise might; and every day during which a breakdown is postponed adds to the chances of its not occurring at all.

Never suffer an exception to occur till the new habit is securely rooted in your life. Each lapse is like the letting fall of a ball of string which one is carefully winding up; a single slip undoes more than a great many turns will wind again. Continuity of training is the great means of making the nervous system act infallibly right … It is surprising how soon a desire will die of inanition if it be never fed.

Seize the Very first possible opportunity to act on every resolution you make, and on every emotional prompting you may experience in the direction of the habits you
    aspire to gain. It is not in the moment of their forming, but in the moment of their producing motor effects, that resolves and aspirations communicate the new ‘set’ to the brain.

:)

Max hr test this morning. As Dory would say: Barf. 30 mins altogether, 20 wu to 85%, then tt effort, ten minutes with the last minute an all out, leave nothing behind blast. I completely and utterly hated it. Maxed out at 181, and spent a full minute after that making involuntary animal noises as I tried to get my breath back. I hope I dont have another of these for a looong time.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Oryx wrote: »
    Maxed out at 181, and spent a full minute after that making involuntary animal noises as I tried to get my breath back.

you wussed out. do it again.

mossym wrote: »
    you wussed out. do it again.

Dont think so, it was 6 beats higher than the last attempt at max. Ill do it again if you do it with me.

• Advertisement

Dont think so, it was 6 beats higher than the last attempt at max. Ill do it again if you do it with me.

was supposed to have one last week as part of a vo2 max test, but it got pushed as i ended up in japan with work, will be doing it in a few weeks instead.

mossym wrote: »
    was supposed to have one last week as part of a vo2 max test, but it got pushed as i ended up in japan with work, will be doing it in a few weeks instead.
    Ive never done one of those, Im not much of a numbers gal and I never saw the benefit. I know one of the colleges used to do it, are there many other places?

Ive never done one of those, Im not much of a numbers gal and I never saw the benefit. I know one of the colleges used to do it, are there many other places?

it's helpful in that it maps your zones a lot closer than the traditional % of max HR. it's a good track of power ouput versus % of max, and one of the best things it does is give a very accurate calories per hr level, so for nutrition planning it shows exactly what your burn rate is.

i get it done in my local tri shop, they have a guy that comes down from dublin with a mobile setup. i think it's worth it, but i have a pm now as of this week so my own testing becomes a lot more exact.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Well, I can try and help you when I am there next...but it's been a long time since I've coached/taught, however I'd be glad to try and help you. :)

You know you're helping me when you come next too, right? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Me too!

• Advertisement

Alright guys... Ill book the pool lane.... you supply the incentives for the coach (food, wine, scintillating conversation - you know the kind of thing)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

You know you're helping me when you come next too, right? :)
    Solobally8 wrote: »
    Me too!
    Alright guys... Ill book the pool lane.... you supply the incentives for the coach (food, wine, scintillating conversation - you know the kind of thing)

Kurt's gonna love this pajama party! ;):)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Kurt's gonna love this pajama party! ;):)

Can I come? God knows I could do with a few swim lessons :D

Can I come? God knows I could do with a few swim lessons :D

Ms. Adventure-Racer herself?? Absolutely!!! We can make an event out of this!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭MaryB30

I have a field.:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

MaryB30 wrote: »
    pool2.jpg

Dory I think this is MaryB inviting themselves along too... what we are supposed to do with the field I dont know.

Edit: Ah, see above. :)

Dory I think this is MaryB inviting themselves along too... what we are supposed to do with the field I dont know.

Edit: Ah, see above. :)

I'm thnking Woodstock?? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Dorystock

A friend is training for the glendalough swim, so tonight I joined her for a training swim in the sea. Up and down a 1k stretch of the bay, there was a strong current tonight, so hard going north, flying along going south. It evened out overall I suppose. 4.05k for me in 1.28 which tbh I'm happy with. Thats an ok pace for a flounder like me.

• Advertisement

More open water tonight. This time a group swim, offshore. Felt slow at first, but the last stretch was battling a good ol current, and I like that so I got into a better rhythm. 2.29k in 49 minutes.

Woo hoo! I got to run today! Left to my own devices I would be running a lot more, but what can you do? Im obeying orders.

This was down as 35 mins easy and ended up being 7k in just over 40 mins. I doubt I'll get in trouble for going 5 mins over. My longest run in 14 weeks. Wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Delighted for ya!

I seem to be making a habit of going over my allotted training times. Today was meant to be 5.5 hrs, but a battle with wind and hills meant it was a bit long. Ended up as 5hr 56, 141k 1600m of elevation. I didnt eat enough in the first two hours and spent the rest of the ride chasing that lack.... couldnt get enough food in. Good lesson tho.

Saw a few craaaazzzy drivers today but the one that took the biscuit was a lady in a small village, who stopped her car at a 45 degree angle in the middle of a t junction, while her pal leaned in the window and they had a right old natter. Everyone just drove around them. Nuts :)

Ran off the bike, just a lil one, ten minutes. It felt okay.... just like old times :)

Two hour bike with a 20 min run off it today. Legs are tired but that's something I wished for a few weeks ago! 42.5k and 3.65k today. Not fast.

Well Done Oryx. That progress is massive. I wish I had your strength to carry on at the level of commitment you are showing. :):) Bravo.

Well Done Oryx. That progress is massive. I wish I had your strength to carry on at the level of commitment you are showing. :):) Bravo.

You just need the right encouragement, ie a kick up the ar5e. :) But thanks. Its nice that you see my crazy as a positive thing.

I am tapering:confused::confused::confused::confused::P

I am tapering:confused::confused::confused::confused::P

Blessed Mary of the Perpetual Taper. :)

• Advertisement

An hour on the crosstrainer today. Probably the longest as I have ever done on the thing. Not my favourite machine:)

Also did the usual s+m and some circuits. I'm now even icing my ankle. So frickin sensible I scare myself. ;)

Advertisement