Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Good Mood Cookbook

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

Oryx wrote: »
    Also did the usual s+m

Keep that carry on for your sexy forum!

Only kidding, well done on the come back and sensible is good sometimes!

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Ow swim tonight. Meant to be 3k but shortened to 2 due to my swimming pal having to get out and tend to a minor emergency with her kid. I wasn't sorry. I was chilled to the bone. I still haven't warmed up.

Rest day yesterday, and I was looking forward to it. :)

Recharged and renovated today (not) I hit the turbo at 7am. High cadence stuff, which was easier than the last time I tried it. Probably had less resistance set. :) Then straight out for a run with 6x 1 min intervals at 10k pace. This actually felt like running, not just trying to run. I think I'm slowly beginning to regain some fitness, fingers crossed.

...And a swim set this evening. :)

This was a set I also did last week, but i was tired and as I did the warm up I wondered how I would get through it. But I chewed it up bit by bit and all of a sudden it was done. All of a sudden being 80 minutes later :) Main set was 9 x 100 best average, last week I hit 1.54 - 1.59. This week was 1.47 - 1.49. I had the whole 25m pool to myself so there was no-one to high five after that, which is what I felt like doing.

2600m (400 kick. Ugh)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

<virtual high five!!!> :D

• Advertisement

Sea swim tonight. Going easy tonight as we had no kayak supervision and I needed to stay with another swimmer.

I have a real problem with cold. Actually started to shiver during the swim, and couldn't speak properly coming out of the water. Everyone else is standing around after, chatting in pulled down wetsuits, while I had to run and get changed with numb hands and feet. How the hell do I deal with this? 1520m 32 mins.

Yay! A run this morning. I look forward to these. From the plan this was supposed to be 50 mins easy but as usual I went a little over. (I think she expects me to :) ) 11k in 63 mins with a few strides at the end. I was surprised how strong my legs felt - it was a hilly route, and I didn't die on the hills. I am getting random pains and aches as I run, these come and go, I suppose they are to be expected when you're asking your legs to do stuff they haven't done in months.

Bike ride so bad today I don't want to even think about it, much less describe it. One for the dustbin of training records :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Bike ride so bad today I don't want to even think about it, much less describe it. One for the dustbin of training records :(

F*ck it in the bin, and move on.

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    F*ck it in the bin, and move on.
    I will as soon as I can get up off the couch. :)

• Advertisement

More terrible weather today, so I did my planned bike indoors. I couldn't face more wind and rain. I think being laid up and a warm summer has made me soft. :( 90 mins on the turbo followed by a 20 min run off the bike. Better than yesterday but I died on the bike yesterday and I could still feel the after effects of that.

xtrainer this morning, after the usual bout of s&m and circuits. Then more s&m in the form of a bucket of icy water, compliments of my kids. And I dont even like facebook.

Brilliantly done with the ice bucket. And extra props to the kids for filling the bucket FULL of ice!!!! :eek::D

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Brilliantly done with the ice bucket. And extra props to the kids for filling the bucket FULL of ice!!!! :eek::D
    Im more worried about tonights sea swim. :o

No sea swim last night, and probably none tonight either. Weather!

Okay... I think its time. I HAVE AN ANNOUNCEMENT TO MAKE.

Fifteen weeks ago I broke my leg and my IMUK plans were scuppered. I was, however, still within the withdrawal window by 7 days, meaning I could get some money back... or, oooh... did someone say transfer....

Sitting in my bed, leg in a cast, cut to ribbons, of course I took the nuttiest, most implausible course of action. I transferred my entry to Ironman Wales. I'll admit, this was not a sound decision, and was based on a very optimistic view of recovery from a leg break, which has proved frustratingly slow.

I kept the transfer quiet, both here and irl. It has seeped out to one or two by necessity, but I felt I couldn't mention it here. To fail is one thing. To fail with an audience is another. I have had some terrific support here, and this has been shown in both positivity and concern. I thank you all for that. I didn't mention Wales because I suppose I didn't think I could deal with defending what is an utterly crazy thing to do to people who have my best interests at heart.

So IM Wales is now 18 days away, and as far as racing it goes, it is a complete unknown. I don't know if I will complete the swim, the cold is a huge factor. The bike course is described as one of the most challenging around. Are these poorly trained legs able for that? Will I make the cutoff? I don't know.

And if I reach T2, the biggest decision of all: do I run? Do I even try to do some of it? That is something I can't answer till I am there. I have never faced into a race knowing I probably won't finish it. Its a tough mental place to be. I have prepared as sensibly as I can, under the wings of a cautious coach. I am telling myself repeatedly that nothing is guaranteed. But fingers crossed, I'm going to line up anyway and see what happens.

Wish me luck.

Wish me luck.

:D

You are an absolutely mad woman, but sometimes the heart is stronger than the body, so good on you. Enjoy this adventure in 18 days, for you have the unique opportunity to participate in something so epic, but with the freedom of zero expectations. Rare, to say the least. Mind the body (which I know you will), and let it be your guide. Soak yourself in the event, the people, the course, the backdrop, the music, the energy, the everything. Be a competitor and a cheerleader. Take advantage of the situation and condition you find yourself in, and use it to your every advantage, both physically and emotionally. You don't need luck...you're our UltraIronHoochie, you'll be grand. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

I feckin' knew by all the training that there had to be something in your head.

Take your time, enjoy it and don't be too proud to walk as much of the marathon as necessary, maybe even set out with a walk/run plan in mind.

More importantly, the absolute best of luck to you.

There is no option but a walk/walk plan - if I get that far. My longest run to date is 11k....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Completely bonkers.

Then again, I'm due in Kenmare on Saturday, not having swam for 12 months:D

Go for it...!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Oryx is mad.

Oryx knows she is mad.

If Oryx knows she's mad, then logically she can't be mad.

Therefore she's not mad, so Oryx is not mad.

Oryx knows she is not mad.

Oryx is not mad.

Best of luck, ya nut!:D

• Advertisement

Oryx is most definitely mad. But thats been the case for a long time. Its just the level of crazy has increased on this one.

Pool swim tonight because the sea was dangerously rough. This does not help acclimatisation. :) Just 1800m done as the wind down is beginning.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Shell to Run

Tough and courageous, you have it all and I am sure you will do more than just make it around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Oryx is most definitely mad. But thats been the case for a long time. Its just the level of crazy has increased on this one.

Pool swim tonight because the sea was dangerously rough. This does not help acclimatisation. :) Just 1800m done as the wind down is beginning.

Actually, doing an IM on a recently broken leg is one thing, but the completely nuts part of all of this, is doing an IM in....WALES!:eek:

Izoard wrote: »
    Actually, doing an IM on a recently broken leg is one thing, but the completely nuts part of all of this, is doing an IM in....WALES!:eek:

It was this or majorca and I couldnt afford the extra travel there. I had a ferry crossing already paid for that cos a fiver to transfer. The closer it gets the more real it gets tho.... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

You're fantastic and completely loopy :D

You're fantastic and completely loopy :D

I'm causing my coach to go prematurely grey. :) Most of my instructions now come written in red, block caps, and contain the words DO NOT! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

Sounds like a pretty sensible plan to me - you know your body better than anyone else. Just remember to listen to said body and don't ignore it when it's telling you to ease off. No point in getting a long term injury out of this. Remember, the longer you take to finish, the better value for your entry fee you're getting.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

i thought all triathletes were crazy

now i realise between yourself and dory and your sneaky entries into other races, that the hoochies as mcos calls them are on a different level...

will be rooting for you.

this pretty much says it for me, well not the man bit obviously..:)

^^ Ha! Dont call me gutsy till we see how far I get. :) But yeah, me and Ms DoubleD have a lot in common. Bitches be crazy, man. :D

Turbo this morning 45 mins focus on cadence. Followed by a run off the bike with 2 min intervals 3 min recovery. 25 minutes altogether, well 26 to be exact, 5k.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭MaryB30

Run like the wind Oryx, Run like the wind.

Advertisement