Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Good Mood Cookbook

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I confuse strength and power. :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Hows your bike handling skills on the flat ?:D

First time I tried aero bars was not pretty...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Oryx wrote: »
    I confuse strength and power. :(

I'd bet you do more strength work that most around here. They are similar

Strength is specific. Like you circuits, kettlebells. Targeted exercises involving resistance of some sort. Strength exercise resistance is often a % derivative of your one rep max. The lower your drop the percentage the more reps you can do. Unfortunately
    , resistance training doesn't make you faster.

Power uses your strength but recruits speed. Repeated bursts. Add aerobic endurance and therein lies your functional power. How long you can sustain X. Its hard to do a 1 rep max on the bike. You wouldn't generate much power with a single pedal stroke. You might make a light bulb flicker.

You just won't sustain that light without speed.

In summary. To get faster you must go faster :)

Light and speed... well I tried to get one of them going tonight. High cad turbo set. Done in company to keep it honest. 60 minutes, tough but enjoyable.

Early swim. Strength set, a mix of paddles pb and band in the main part. Nervously using the band hoping I wouldn't drown. Its ok with pb but without that I seriously flounder. But I know it will improve and its nice to have something tricky to try and master. 2.25k in an hour.

• Advertisement

Trail run. This was simple and easy but my first venture into uneven territory in around 7 months. Mostly flat trail but a slightly bumpier section with sand for part of the loop I was doing. The uneven stuff made my it band flare up so I need to roll the bejesus out of that. It was a group run but I saw none of them once I set off, always makes me wonder if I've gone the wrong way (I hadnt).

10.8k in an hour.

2 hour cycle this morning with one of the club guys, who showed me some manners, pace wise (and also got me out at 7am). Himself was poodling along while I'm breathlessly trying to keep up and not let the pressure show. :) This is what I need more of, someone to drag me along and make me work! 51.5k

Apologies, B, for my erratic cycling. But I was half asleep ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭MaryB30

I wouldnt worry. I believe those southeast guys are allergic to hills.:):)

Ran yesterday at the crack of dawn. Missed my strength stuff later in the day because *insert pathetic excuse here*. Got up and did today's set though. I may catch up on the lost session tomorrow, I plan to nip over to my mates kb session if I can, so I do it properly!

Swam this evening. Warm up was practising rolling turns and mass starts which was actually great fun, and a bit of a fist fight! Main set was varied short sprints then drills and dive starts to finish off. The coach was as blunt and effective as usual. I will miss her when shes gone. 1700m approx.

• Advertisement

Yesterday was officially a rest day, but I did catch up on the missing kettlebells and s&m from monday. Core work this morning, which is getting better.

Then I see this on my news feed, I had seen it before, but its worth watching twice. I am both inspired and overawed. This is how good women can be. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Seriously impressive!!! :cool:

Turbo tonight. For months I've been doing high cad stuff, but tonight was overgearing. I thought it would be ok but it hurt. My legs are wrecked now! A good hours work in the cozy wee shed with my fellow sufferers. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Yesterday was officially a rest day, but I did catch up on the missing kettlebells and s&m from monday. Core work this morning, which is getting better.

Then I see this on my news feed, I had seen it before, but its worth watching twice. I am both inspired and overawed. This is how good women can be. ;)

Prob one of the most riveting few mins I've seen on da tube. Wonder woman!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Prob one of the most riveting few mins I've seen on da tube. Wonder woman!

+1 - amazing stuff

Early swim. Strength session #5. After a mixed w/u this was (200 pb, 2x100 p&p, and 100 band)x 3. The first 100 band I thought I would drown. The second I tried to stretch out more and get the arms working harder, but every time I took a breath my legs sank. Third time by golly, I started to get it. Shoulda stayed for a fourth..... 2.5k in just over an hour.

50 min easy run tonight. Had to take a different route to the ones I know, so it ended up being 56. But that's close enough. Legs were feeling it on every hill, they're not what they used to be! 9.8k

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

50 min easy run tonight. Had to take a different route to the ones I know, so it ended up being 56. But that's close enough. Legs were feeling it on every hill, they're not what they used to be! 9.8k

:eek: Don't let Tunney know this!!! ;)

Another run this morning. 60 mins with 40 build. This got better the longer it went on, it seemed to take time for my legs to loosen out. Weather was a mix of hazy sunshine and torrential rain, I haven't run in rain like that in ages, it was fun. 10.9k... tho my garmin measures this exact route at anything from 10.75 to over 11k depending on its mood!

Also did my regular s&m and a new circuit plan which comes with 100% more evil. My efforts at burpees, squat thrusts and single leg squats were not pretty.

Long (ish) cycle today. With company so no slacking (though a proper cyclist left us for dead so we were slacking really). Perfect weather for it, bright and just a little chilly. Love these sociable rides. 2hrs 45 mins, 70k total with a 10 min run off.

• Advertisement

Easy run today with 6x strides at the end. This felt like heavy going at first but the last 20 minutes I could almost smell the post run coffee and it flew by even with uphill, into the wind strides.

One thing though. I was out while a lot of people were doing school/work runs. And a small percentage of those drivers were utter assholes. They actually keep near the ditch and try to hit you with their mirror, no indicator on so the car behind them does the same. They seem to resent you being out running when they head to work! Spent a lot of time leaping into the gripe out of their way. Toads.

12.7k 70 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

I find the same thing constantly, did 18k last Monday around Rosslare, Killinick, Tagoat and a lot of drivers seem to think that nobody only cars have any right to use the roads.

Also, the school/work run timing, drivers looking over their shoulders shouting at kids rather than watching where they're going.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

One thing though. I was out while a lot of people were doing school/work runs. And a small percentage of those drivers were utter assholes. They actually keep near the ditch and try to hit you with their mirror, no indicator on so the car behind them does the same. They seem to resent you being out running when they head to work! Spent a lot of time leaping into the gripe out of their way. Toads.

12.7k 70 mins.

In these fecker's eyes you are an unauthorized road user - your not driving something that burns petrol or diesel. Anything goes - they can run you over or drive through you - its ok in their eyes!

Podge83 wrote: »
    In these fecker's eyes you are an unauthorized road user - your not driving something that burns petrol or diesel. Anything goes - they can run you over or drive through you - its ok in their eyes!

I think I'll have to get a good head torch and head out before any of them are up!

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

I think I'll have to get a good head torch and head out before any of them are up!

Best time to get out!!. In some ways safer - you can see the lights coming and make a contingency plan via some gateway or other!! - not so good for the ankles though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

They actually keep near the ditch and try to hit you with their mirror, no indicator on so the car behind them does the same.

Something I absolutely hate all but got clipped by the second car when the first didn't indicate out running a few years ago. Feckers a lot of the time don't even slow down. Was hugging the ditch at the time. Take a much more assertive position now. Same as being on the bike you just have to run further out from the ditch. Makes them have to move out to over take properly and gives you a bit of room to escape yourself. They'll also see you earlier.

I've found running in the dark much safer cars are actually very cautious around you. I use a head lamp and rear bike light on a strap on my arm. Live 3k out a country road so no point driving into town to run 1k repeats from one end of the town to the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

Good lights and some degree of caution are good - never assume that the blind feckers are going to see you. It's gotten to the stage now that I drive into town (10 mins) and run on a floodlit 1km track when it's dark. It's a pain but I've had one to many close calls for comfort, including from neighbors who are used to me running at night :rolleyes:.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭MaryB30

Hey Oryx,

You are so thin they cant see you, I feel sorry for them. :p:p:p:p You are like camouflage with the briers.

MaryB30 wrote: »
    Hey Oryx,

You are so thin they cant see you, I feel sorry for them. :p:p:p:p You are like camouflage with the briers.

Just as prickly!

• Advertisement

Swam last night, still coached by the uber strict but very good temporary coach. Main set was again, short sprints, and I was told to try and improve the initial part of my catch, which seems to be missing. Yup, that certainly worked, and the whole stroke felt a lot more powerful, but it had the effect of shortening the stroke and increasing stroke count. Sigh. Fix one thing, break two more.....

1950 productive meters, which were inexplicably slow, but maybe the adjustments are to blame.

Advertisement