Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Good Mood Cookbook

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭ToTriOrNot

Oryx wrote: »
    Swam last night, still coached by the uber strict but very good temporary coach. Main set was again, short sprints, and I was told to try and improve the initial part of my catch, which seems to be missing. Yup, that certainly worked, and the whole stroke felt a lot more powerful, but it had the effect of shortening the stroke and increasing stroke count. Sigh. Fix one thing, break two more.....

1950 productive meters, which were inexplicably slow, but maybe the adjustments are to blame.

Why do you believe increasing stroke count is a bad thing?
    I have seen videos from swim smooth where they have people using a tempo trainer, where improvement was seeing when increasing stroke count...genuine question....

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

ToTriOrNot wrote: »
    Why do you believe increasing stroke count is a bad thing?
    I have seen videos from swim smooth where they have people using a tempo trainer, where improvement was seeing when increasing stroke count...genuine question....
    My stroke count per length is inefficiently high, I have been told. A high turnover may be good if the stroke is efficient, mine isnt. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭ToTriOrNot

My stroke count per length is inefficiently high, I have been told. A high turnover may be good if the stroke is efficient, mine isnt. :)

How high is high? I think it's not the case of high stroke count, but more how inefficient the stroke is...isn't it?

For open water swimming, high stroke count is recommended, at least for non wetsuit anyway, as it helps to keep you warm!!! Not a problem for tri where wetsuits are compulsory in most cases!!!

25 spl is too high. :) The sharks in the next lane were doing 16 spl.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Have a look at these. I know you said your stroke is inefficient but high stroke rates aren't all bad

The 3 R’s
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYwfS0LImyk

Swim camp (from 1:49)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13OKlNyvyoc

Dave Scott and Paul Newsome – OW swim technique
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARnV-BQhgB0

• Advertisement

Great videos, thanks. And food for thought. I love that first guy. What a great guy to have as a coach. Lunatic!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Great videos, thanks. And food for thought. I love that first guy. What a great guy to have as a coach. Lunatic!

I'd love to go to one of his training camps. He does them in St Moritz during the Spring/Summer and Cozumel for the Autumn/Winter. I never heard any feedback from the weekend he was in Shannon & Limerick. Be interesting to hear how it went.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Check out @TheRace_ie's Tweet: https://twitter.com/TheRace_ie/status/524471122352676864

Swit swoo hoochie guns!

Im not even on twitter :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Im not even on twitter :)

About time you were!

Baby steps though, I realise you've only just found your way to Facebook.

• Advertisement

About time you were!

Baby steps though, I realise you've only just found your way to Facebook.

I was on facebook years ago. It just rose from the dead out of necessity. Fyi, Facebook never delete your sh1t when you 'close' your account. You log back in, there it all is.

Turbo tonight. Another overgearing set. Tough on the legs, burning quads, but the hardest bit was 5x 90sec hard effort with the final 10 seconds max effort then 90 rec. I was glad I was with others, we kept each other going. A very tough way to end a main set. I can't wait to see what next week brings. 70 mins total.

Swam at some ungodly hour this morning. I didn't meet anyone I knew, but if I had, I would have just grunted. It was one of those mornings. But the joy of having an assigned programme is that you just do what you are supposed to do. Today the main set was a mix of pull, paddles and band, either on their own or a mix of all three. The 8x 25 band were terrible. I ended each length saying 'Foooook'. Hated the thing today, but thats just cos where your mind is, the body follows, and today was a tough and sleepy day. In all fairness, the set flew by, even the hateful band, and ended up 2.5k in just over an hour.

Run this evening. 50 mins easy on the plan, same as last week but with 10 mins of drills thrown in. I interspersed them through the first part of the run rather than mess about in one spot doing hops and shuttle runs. They were funny. I do think one of them was a stitch up. There's me, dressed in hi viz, running in the rain, at night on a busy road, with my arms outstretched in front of me like some weird zombie jogger. Then doing single high leg drills so I look like im trying to irish dance or something. Next time I think I'll find a quiet carpark for this stuff. :)

10k 55mins

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

lol...I do stuff like that on the Chapelizod road...loads of runners about who generally have an idea what I'm doing!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Your work rate and discipline are awesome. Wish I had a fraction of your get-up-and-go.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Your work rate and discipline are awesome. Wish I had a fraction of your get-up-and-go.

Small matter of a 250km race around Donegal in 3 months to entice one out the door! Bambaata entered also and another Boardsie having a good think about it..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Small matter of a 250km race around Donegal in 3 months to entice one out the door! Bambaata entered also and another Boardsie having a good think about it..

Aw, just go on and enter then. You only live once!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Small matter of a 250km race around Donegal in 3 months to entice one out the door!

Ah sure I know - but still.

Feels like I'm doing very little towards that at the moment. Left to my own devices I would be doing more, but right now I'm trusting someone else and doing what they say. Which is tough for a control freak!

Had a 70 min run to do this morning. Decided to meet up with some others who were doing a trail run. I haven't run on trails in a long time. Turns out to have been a really stupid idea. The trail was half washed away, very steep and technical, I'm in road shoes. I descend like a toddler negotiating steps, so out of practice, and on the second climb back up I went over on a rock and did something nasty to my (good) ankle. FFS! Limped up the rest of the hill cussing and swearing, and gave up.

No permanent damage, was ok to jog home on the flat, probably just be a bit tender for a few days. Phew.

Bloody trails. :(

• Advertisement

Ankle is fine and dandy today so I was out early on the bike for another happy clappy longish cycle. Perfect day for it, bright but not cold. Legs are tired from running and circuits yesterday. (though I thought I was cycling well. Turns out I wasn't, slower and shorter than last week.) I think my cycling companion took pity on me. (Hi B!) They need to not do that anymore - they should drag my sorry complaining ass around! If I can talk, I'm not working enough! :) I enjoyed today though, a real I-love-my-bike day.

68.5k in 2hr 50. Ten minute run off bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭MaryB30

ahem, coffee stop, ahem, ahem.

MaryB30 wrote: »
    ahem, coffee stop, ahem, ahem.
    The german said coffee stops were ok. ;)

Ran this morning. 76mins 13.86k supposed to be build but the wind and hills made it tricky to hold a progressive pace. Happy with it tho. It felt better than the same route last week. I'm starting to feel like I can run again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Tick tock, tick tock.... ;)

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Tick tock, tick tock.... ;)

Shush! :)

Swam tonight. Lots of short stuff requiring strength but there are times when I can feel the lats and shoulders kicking in so I think I'm doing something right. My catch is still pretty much missing so I'm working on that. Led my lane the whole time and coach is threatening to put me in with the sharks next week. Not that I would keep up with them, but even trying to will be a good thing. 1950m.

Turbo last night. More overgearing, and these sets are cruel. Hard sprints straight after the heavy work are purgatory. I didnt quite get to puke stage but not far off it. 1hr.

Instead of a spin down I had a ten minute run off the bike, out onto a pitch dark country road following the tiny pool of light from my head torch. It was surreal and fun, all you can see is a little patch of tarmac coming towards you like a strange treadmill. I could probably do with a better head torch!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

It was surreal and fun, all you can see is a little patch of tarmac coming towards you like a strange treadmill. I could probably do with a better head torch!

love running at night, one usual stretch for me is along the shannon edge and it's so cool to run along in the dark with the headtorch

• Advertisement

Swim this morning. More strength work. Starting the main set with 8x 25 band. I was amazed to find these getting easier, with less drowning, more swimming. Followed that with 400s done with paddles, pull, and band in various combinations. 2.5k in just a squeak over an hour.

Advertisement