Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Good Mood Cookbook

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I find that when I'm doing a steady run, say 15 min w/u 50 min steady 15 min w/d, first 15 min or so of the steady running is slow and harder work than it should be as I'm trying to switch over...after that I'm flying!

Can be very frustrating actually, particularly if you're tired or whatnot...start whizzing round with the thoughts that maybe today it's not going to come together and you should just change it up and that kinda thing :)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I find that when I'm doing a steady run, say 15 min w/u 50 min steady 15 min w/d, first 15 min or so of the steady running is slow and harder work than it should be as I'm trying to switch over...after that I'm flying!

Can be very frustrating actually, particularly if you're tired or whatnot...start whizzing round with the thoughts that maybe today it's not going to come together and you should just change it up and that kinda thing :)
    I try not to worry so much about pace, as there are so many variables that can affect it. Yesterday I just reckoned if it hurt, (and it did) it was probably effective.

Last club swim of the year tonight. I spent most of the hour chasing shark feet, having been forced into their lane to make even numbers. One of the drills involved taking turns pulling another swimmer who is hanging out of your foot. When it was my turn to be dragged I had to giggle because without moving a muscle I was still going faster than I ever do on my own. :)

I spent the session swimming for my life and then dibbing out for a 50 every so often when I felt like puking. Somewhere over 2k. Queen shark reckons 6 weeks 'out of my comfort zone' like this would be the making of me.

Rest day Wednesday. Was in foul humour by evening. Rest does not suit me. Bah humbug.

Turbo Thursday. Overgearing set, second time doing this one, it was easier than last time a few weeks ago. Ran off the bike, 15 mins out and back, and at first thought 'ooh my legs are strong I could run all day, la la la la.....' till I turned, and realised the (very high) wind had been to my back and pushing me along. The return bit was a slog.

Swam this morning. All strength work. Along with longer sets of paddles, it included 8 x25 & 4 x50 band, which is just plain mean. I'm going to rename the coach Cruella. But the proper mean and horrible bit was the final part of the session: 100m fly. I could barely get my wrecked arms clear of the water, flying I most certainly wasn't. It did not go well. 2500m

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Mr Tony Stark

Oryx wrote: »
    I could barely get my wrecked arms clear of the water, flying I most certainly wasn't.

You are always flying.

• Advertisement

^^^cool first post Mr Stark. :)

I ran last night. I seemed to have to go all over the place to make up the hour, the route I thought would do it was way short. As I started late I ended up running past pubs with all the smokers outside the door, as well as dodging late night shoppers. It felt weird, like turning up in fancy dress when the dress code is black tie. Slow enough, what with drills and all. Just over 10k.

And then I ran again this morning. Out before sunrise, without a headtorch because I didn't want the hassle of carrying it once it got light. It was quiet and dark at first, just a faint glow at the horizon, then slowly and subtly the birds started to wake up and the black and white around me changed to colour, with a fantastic orange sunrise. It was so lovely it was almost a shame when the daylight came in fully and everything was normal! This was an easy run with 6x strides, which is why I was feeling the love and waxing lyrical. I doubt the dawn would be so appealing on a tempo run. 16.75k 90mins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

You're getting very lyrical with these early weekend run reports. Keep that up.

I'm guessing you're the sort of gal who very much looks forward to New Year fresh start? I'd say 2015 will be good for you.

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    You're getting very lyrical with these early weekend run reports. Keep that up.

I'm guessing you're the sort of gal who very much looks forward to New Year fresh start? I'd say 2015 will be good for you.
    Just trying to fulfil the good mood aspect of this log. But I am feeling positive. It finally feels like I'm back near where I was. Its been a tough year in lots of ways so I am tentatively looking forward to 2015. (Though not tempting fate by saying anything is a sure thing!)

Well. If todays cycle was a Hollywood movie, at around 40k there would have been some epic music and probably a rousing speech that borrowed heavily from John Donne. We were out before dawn (again) heading for Hook (again). The wind was in our faces, blowing a good gust, and it was raining nicely. A grand soft day, as we put it. First off, my new Boards winter jacket Is. Not. Waterproof. But it did hold onto the water and keep it warm, which is something. We went all the way out to the lighthouse, and wow, the wind was something else. One of those times when you just laugh at the ridiculousness of what you are doing. Head down, grinding, 11kph.... But the coffee was great, worth the trip! Tho I still owe Mr Stark a cuppa...

Heading back, woo hoo, free speed! We managed 48kph back the same stretch we had just crawled along on the way out. The rest of the ride was undulating and not as easy as I thought it would be even with the wind behind us. The rain never let up, but when youre soaked through you cant get any wetter!

87.5k, but slower than last week. 3.53hr. Have to say I loved this. Im not built for speed, so this kind of training that you have to dig in and suffer, kinda suits me. All the way home I had Paul Simons 'still crazy after all these years' stuck in my head. It seemed fitting.

• Advertisement

That was the craic at 48 kph though. Feel the need for speed!!!!!

I ended up too tired to run this morning. Or lazy... either way I didn't do it. Tho my schedule is pick n mix this week because of Christmas so I wasn't too stressed about it. Mid morning i met a friend who put me through a pretty good pullbar/trx workout. Am currently checking my house for an strong mount point for trx straps :)

Had a mad dash to the pool in the afternoon, I checked the timetable and its closed for pretty much the rest of the week. Made it through obnoxious traffic with 50 minutes to spare - to do a 70 minute session. I took out 200 drills and 100 kick and got the rest of the set done. The breaks were short! Hallelujah. 2.3k.

A lot of arm work today, so ill probably have wonderful doms tomorrow. Havent had that in ages :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

;)

Well, its Christmas eve. No, I haven't been a good girl, so I doubt the new Quintana Roo I have my eye on will be coming my way tonight. But I'll keep my fingers crossed in case.

I'm disorganised this week with my lack of a fixed schedule, and only jumped on the turbo at nearly nine last night. I was still doing core work at 11 and THEN wrapping presents. (Training comes first, always!) This morning was a run, an hour with 4x (5mins hard, 2 mins ez). Very doable. I ran my usual 11k route 6 minutes faster than I normally do which means either a) I normally don't try very hard or b) I'm improving.

To keep with my poetic theme of late, the weather was mild and Christmassy - cool and crisp and even. A light breeze replacing yesterday's gale, and a stunning sunrise out over the sea, with rays of light streaming down through the patches of cloud like those biblical scenes where God is about to make an Important Announcement. Because I was back early I let the dogs out and we chased each other around the house to make up the last few minutes. Did you know dogs can look at you in a way that says 'are you mental?' :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

christmas eve ! well done, had notions of treadmill last night but my evil other half made irish coffees to distract me..

Well, its Christmas eve. No, I haven't been a good girl, so I doubt the new Quintana Roo I have my eye on will be coming my way tonight. But I'll keep my fingers crossed in case.

Why has this outstanding issue not been brought up in our weekly tri bike review. You are the dark horse. I want to see that Argon out before I hear talk of Quintana Roo's.

Happy Christmas Anyway.

CD0.1-Camo-2015.png
    A girl can dream, can't she? The argon is my 2015 workhorse, and is going to start earning it's place in the stable. Someday, when I deserve it, I will own a pretty little QR.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

CD0.1-Camo-2015.png
    A girl can dream, can't she? The argon is my 2015 workhorse, and is going to start earning it's place in the stable. Someday, when I deserve it, I will own a pretty little QR.

Wow. She's gorgeous!! I wonder if we can get a discount on two of them?? ;)

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Wow. She's gorgeous!! I wonder if we can get a discount on two of them?? ;)

We should try!

What argon do you have? E112?

• Advertisement

What argon do you have? E112?

Yup. Tis a lovely bus and I actually wont be changing it, even for that ^

Thats what I have my eye on. Have argon road bike and thinking of swinging towards the TT too. Preferably I'd get the E118 but I'd need a significant lotto win for that. :pac:

Thats what I have my eye on. Have argon road bike and thinking of swinging towards the TT too. Preferably I'd get the E118 but I'd need a significant lotto win for that. :pac:

Mine just needs a bit of tweaking fitwise. Which is being dealt with. :) Popular frame tho.

Did my Christmas run. Had too much Christmas dinner. Getting slowly sozzled.

Happy Christmas guys :) Hic!

Yesterday I went down to the beach and did a quick dip in and out, in the company of a big group of charity swimmers and assorted nut jobs. The worst bit was the biting wind and rain beforehand. Once you got in it was quite nice. Such a laugh, which is what it was all about. In the afternoon I did a spin on the turbo while watching an utter garbage film. (The getaway) 1hr 45 of harmless aerobic stuff.

Today I decided to get my long run done early, so I was back at the beach before dawn. Blissfully calm, just a hint of frost to keep it fresh. I headed out as the rising sun was just beginning to make the sky glow red, and I ran along the strand till it was a spectacular sunrise.

10887273_10152977498819310_132056310915539927_o.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9
    This was an easy run, and I'm back to the point where I can run while forgetting I'm running. It is a calming, meditative thing, where I get to sort my head out and process all kinds of thoughts. I'm coming to the end of a year that has been challenging and difficult. I've had to let go of things I didn't want to, and accept tough but necessary changes. Mornings like this, running on this endless sandy treadmill, help me to get past and make my peace with all that. Which is why I love being able to run. :)

After an hour, and in imminent danger of disappearing into my own navel, I changed tack, meeting up with another boardsie trihead and continuing for a further 11k of chatty jogging. This is the other fun side of running, yakking away and setting the world right while chewing up miles. Again, very necessary!

The nicest al fresco latte of the year afterwards brought a perfect morning to a perfect close. People ask why I 'kill' myself with all the training. Days like this is why. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Today I decided to get my long run done early, so I was back at the beach before dawn. Blissfully calm, just a hint of frost to keep it fresh. I headed out as the rising sun was just beginning to make the sky glow red, and I ran along the strand till it was a spectacular sunrise.

This was an easy run, and I'm back to the point where I can run while forgetting I'm running. It is a calming, meditative thing, where I get to sort my head out and process all kinds of thoughts. I'm coming to the end of a year that has been challenging and difficult. I've had to let go of things I didn't want to, and accept tough but necessary changes. Mornings like this, running on this endless sandy treadmill, help me to get past and make my peace with all that. Which is why I love being able to run. :)

After an hour, and in imminent danger of disappearing into my own navel, I changed tack, meeting up with another boardsie trihead and continuing for a further 11k of chatty jogging. This is the other fun side of running, yakking away and setting the world right while chewing up miles. Again, very necessary!

The nicest al fresco latte of the year afterwards brought a perfect morning to a perfect close. People ask why I 'kill' myself with all the training. Days like this is why. :)

If non-sports people could grasp a fraction of what you've expressed here, they'd be sports people too. Beautifully described.

I didn't get up to see the sunrise today, family matters took priority, and occupied the whole morning. I did get to the pool in the afternoon though, and did a set of my own making that probably could have been tougher. 2300 of drills and strength work.

Its funny how the more free time I have, the less training I seem to get done. :)

At half eight this morning I looked outside and said 'shiiit'. A white frost covered everything. My floor mop was frozen into its bucket on the doorstep. Even the gravel was slippery. 80k on the bike in this?? So I text my cycling companion expecting a bailout, but no. They were man enough so I had to be too. Layer over layer of winter gear, till all that could be seen of me was a vaguely human lycra outline. And off I went. I think I might have looked like a cartoon going down the road with my hesitant technique, stiff posture and a grimace. I felt like a kitten on roller skates, though in all honesty, it was pretty ok as long as you didn't get excited. Met my hard-as-nails pal and off we went with a united goal: COFFEE!

Out the usual route too hook head cafe, and along the way my companion discovered how well i can swear when my chain comes off. Bloody thing! It was only really cold in the low lying areas near a river, otherwise I didn't mind it, tho I had enough clothes on for both of us. (I did not share)

Once we got onto the hook peninsula something odd happened. The temperature suddenly and noticably rose. 'Practically balmy'. It was like being dropped into another season. Its true... The sea really does warm the land. One issue was that my by then numb fingers began to thaw out. Ohmyfkngod the pain. :(

The coffee was wonderful, I recommend it, and the ride back was easy as the thaw had come. Tho I only hit about 44kph on the sprint this week. No tailwind!

Got home four whole minutes quicker than last week, even allowing for the cautious first half. 87.5k done. I'm glad I wasn't allowed to bail. A great morning out, altogether. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Fantastic, I'm well jealous!

• Advertisement

Wouldn't be the cold that would worry me there...falling would be!
    Roads ok, not icy?

Advertisement