Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Good Mood Cookbook

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Wouldn't be the cold that would worry me there...falling would be!
    Roads ok, not icy?

The cold didnt bother me either, but I was petrified of falling. The roads were frosty but where they were dry it was ok. It was the wet shiny patches you had to mind. We took it easy and had no trouble. I was advised not to make any sharp moves and to keep the wheels in a straight line if it looked dodgy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Respect!

Rest day yesterday, full of stodge and unwarranted carb loading so I needed to shake up my bones. The last day of the year, how to make it count? I decided on a repeat prescription of last Saturday's run, to see in the final daybreak of the year.

It wasn't cold this morning, but a fresh breeze across the beach meant I was snuggled under a hat and snood, insulated from the worst of the windchill. Being bundled up made the start of this run even more surreal, running in dusky grey light with the muffled roar of the sea and the outline of the raven forest becoming more visible with every footstep.

If last Saturday's dawn broke in flamboyant style, like a drag queen stepping on stage, today's was a shy child at a party, creeping in trying not to be noticed. Hazy pinks and greys that were still intense and beautiful. 10903938_10152987153274310_5853128080435808161_o.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9The running was heavy going, a full tide meant running on softer sand to avoid the surf in my new shoes (I'm just so precious). On the return leg, with the wind to my back, I had time to reflect on the whole 'end of 2014' thing. It was a year that turned out very unexpectedly, but I wouldn't change a moment of it. I learned so much. And I managed to do an ironman, in spite of everything. That's something I am very grateful for, it could have turned out differently. All I know about next year is it probably wont be what I expect either, but that's okay.

After the first hour, just like last time, I met up with running companions, so I couldn't get too introspective and up myself. A steady jog through the woods, yakking the head off whoever was beside me. One of the guys should be a poster boy for transformation. Two years ago, overweight and unhealthy, we would nearly send out a search crew to drag him home, today he led the pack, a different man entirely, with runners legs that Usain Bolt would envy.

I ran the 9k around the forest with the Buddies, then peeled off back to the beach again to finish my run. The wind was stronger and needles of rain made it a 'grit your teeth and suffer' slog up the strand. Along the way, I met the four horsemen of the apocalypse. (actually four jockeys out for a gallop on their horses :) ) One of them was a complete loony tune, whooping and hollering all the way up the beach about How He Loved The Rain! and making me smile about it too. The turnaround brought blessed relief from the wind, and it pushed me back the final few kms to the end, with the four horsemen charging past me again yelling that I was lookin good. Another smile. :)

Total time 2hrs 22 mins, total distance 23.5k. With a lovely coffee at the end that I had been already tasting for about five miles. :)

So with that, take a bow, 2014, its been interesting. Thanks for a great year!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Mr Tony Stark

Hey you also mastered a 180 degree turn clockwise on a bike without falling off at hook head!!!!!!!

Happy new year to you Oryx, you are going to blast like a comet through a the intergalactic expanse of 2015 triathlon year. (just keeping up with the arty prose from above)^^^.

You are an inspiration for tri hards and hopefulls. And everyone never forget, when it gets hard you say "what would oryx do" and then it becomes clear.

You go harder.!!!!! LONGER!!!!!!!

Hey you also mastered a 180 degree turn clockwise on a bike without falling off at hook head!!!!!!!

Happy new year to you Oryx, you are going to blast like a comet through a the intergalactic expanse of 2015 triathlon year. (just keeping up with the arty prose from above)^^^.

You are an inspiration for tri hards and hopefulls. And everyone never forget, when it gets hard you say "what would oryx do" and then it becomes clear.

You go harder.!!!!! LONGER!!!!!!!
    God, I did, didn't I? Jaysis by 2016 I should be doing figure eights :)

I think my new motto will be 'Oryx would drink coffee' :) Thanks for the company and bike training Mr Stark, I hope 2015 brings bundles of awesomeness your way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

That very well may be your best post of the entire year! :)

Happy New Year, Oryx. May all your dreams come true in 2015!!

I sent around a text yesterday asking if anyone fancied a new years cycle today. For three hours this morning I was regretting that hugely.

Two girls from the club showed, one of them chose the route. Starting with a tailwind. Mistake #1. It was windy but dry at first, and not cold, but the pace was low to allow for the slowest rider. Less than an hour in, it started to rain. No biggie, used to that. Two hours in I have no idea where we are and the rain is pelting. There was no shortcut home. Big mistake #2. Did I mention never let someone else choose the route? The wind had picked up and was now in our faces. All the way home. The slower girl was suffering badly and couldn't wheelsuck so lots of slow riding and waiting. Not her fault and I was glad to do it, but got chilled to my soaking wet bones. Gusts of wind sent us across the road at one point, definitely not having fun anymore. The rain hurt and just wouldn't quit, and I was concerned for my friend.

Once within a sniff of home I said my goodbyes and did the last uphill 4k at my own pace. I just needed to get done. I have probably cycled in worse conditions, I just cant remember when. It was an exercise in suffering. Horrible stuff. Still, I was laughing manically during the worst bits. What else can you do? 72k? 3hr 50

Took to my bed for most of yesterday, the soaking of the day before brought on an impending headcold and I used it as an excuse to be lazy.

As lazy doesn't really suit me, I got up and out today for a pool swim. Chose my own set, and it was one I've done in the early part of last year. 1k swim, 1k pb, 1k pb, paddles and band. With a 100m cd. All done in 65 minutes including a toilet break... I'm happy with that. Still smothering with a cold, but a bit less lethargic now.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

Hope the cold is ok for tomorrow's race!! All the best with it Oryx. See you at some stage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

Ferrycarrig 5?

Might see you there myself.

• Advertisement

pointer28 wrote: »
    Ferrycarrig 5?

Might see you there myself.

That's the one. Probably be in wextri colours.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

You might spot a couple of blackguards in Boards t-shirts too...

Dilbert75 wrote: »

I have been known to introduce myself to strange men in boards t-shirts....

Oryx wrote: »
    I have been known to introduce myself to strange men in boards t-shirts....

Well you won't find much stranger than these two buckos...

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

I'll be the one pulling my hair out

Well, I met a few blackguards in boards t-shirts, and even one of their wives today. :) Even though I was a reluctant starter, I did the 5 mile road race today, and I'm glad I did. Lots of people I knew there, it was great to catch up with guys I haven't seen in ages. And the food afterwards! It was like every mammy in the county did some baking for it. Great craic altogether.

Oh yeah... the actual race... I don't run short stuff much, and have never done this distance before. My strategy was to go out hard (well, hard for me) and see how long I lasted. Got passed by two boards shirts almost instantly, and by my clubmate in the first half mile, no surprise there. Ended up in at steady pace alongside a big tall chap, with my short legs taking two strides for every one of his. The first two miles done in under 14 minutes, but I was right at the max of what I felt I could hold. Good to have a guy to pace off tho, he stopped me slacking.

By mile 3 Mrs Dilbert passed me by, but I held on to her tail. Mile 3 - 4 were the toughest for me and my pace dropped, though overall my miles were ticking over at the same rate. By mile 4 I was thinking 'god, this is a short race!' but the final mile was hard. Caught Mrs D again, but I had stitches on both sides of my chest so I was blowing like a wind machine to try and ease them out. Nursing that meant I had no room to pick up the pace in the final stretch but I gave it all I could. 34.35 finish, which I'm very happy with... under 35 which I hadnt felt able for so its nice to do it.

So short compared to what I normally do, but its good to do a test like that. And from the parking, to the grub at the end the whole thing was flawless. Well done lads!

Impressive performance today. Seriously. !!! This bodes very well for a killer 2015 for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

They gave you a few seconds back in the official timing, so even better result :)

After the fun and games of yesterday, it was back to the reality of hard work today. Its the new year, big races are now not so far away, its going to get a little different from now on.

Todays first session was 75 min run to include 4x 2 min and 8 x 30 sec hill reps. These were hard, and it was also tough doing another 35 mins after them. But I liked it. It felt productive.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Mr Tony Stark

You liked it. ???????????????? Oh MAAAAAAN. Why arent you recovering after yesterday. I am taking a week off.

• Advertisement

You liked it. ???????????????? Oh MAAAAAAN. Why arent you recovering after yesterday. I am taking a week off.
    Im not allowed to recover. Till August I think!

Second session of the day was kettlebells. So long since I've done them even my predictive text doesn't recognise the word. :)

I was lucky; as this was the first class of term, he went back over the basic moves, reminding us of perfect form. I needed it. Very rusty! My shoulders really felt it and will probably ache tomorrow.

Tonight we were back to our usual club swim. I must remember a large bowl of pasta is not a good idea before these sessions. :(

Short w/u, then 6x 75s: 25 imo 50 fc, the main set was 5x 200 fc 50 bc legs, but of course I read this wrong and missed the 50s for half of it. When I did do them my feet cramped anyway.

I didnt feel tired tonight but I was slower than usual I think just because my arms were still feeling the kettlebells from last night. 2050 covered in the hour. I just wish I was getting some instructions. My stroke is going to pot.

Must say you look lovely on the local paper.... :p

Must say you look lovely on the local paper.... :p

Thats two weeks in a row. :)

Oryx wrote: »
    Thats two weeks in a row. :)

Oh so modest...

Oh so modest...

Im too old for vanity :)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ORYX!!!

So, as above, another year older and deeper in triathlon related debt.

Rest day Wednesday, and yesterday, along with a snappy little circuit set in the morning, I did a turbo with pals in the evening. Turbo was fine, though I forgot my hrm (it doesnt work half the time anyway) so had to use rpe. It felt hard, hopefully it was, main set 2x 8mins 95 rpm 85%hr. I then had to run 15 mins off the bike. This coincided with an absolute downpour, and was miserable. The weather really is playing ball when it comes to Race prep and conditioning.

Fuelled by lots of cake from last night, this mornings swim had to start bang on time, it was a long one, but I only had the same time as normal to do it in. 3k in total, with 3x(4 x25 band and 600 pb/pad) as the main set. As we have now crossed the threshold into 2015, the sessions are getting longer, and harder. It took 75 mins approx to do this, which was better than expected. I would love to be faster, obviously, but for that Id want to hire an on deck 1-2-1 coach for 6 months to correct my screwy stroke. So, for now brute force and ignorance will have to take the place of skill and grace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

That's a sapping swim set - lashing the paddles on after burning the arms off yourself staying afloat with the bands on - quality work!

Advertisement