Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Good Mood Cookbook

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Club swim. Varied, technical, tough. Started and ended with complicated mix ups of drills, with a pyramid main set. Our lane all had their training heads on tonight and for the most part we stormed through it. If my arms could have cried, they would have. Swimming the day after kb class is killing them.

We missed snippets of the set here and there, because of keeping to time, but did 2200 of the prescribed 2400.

Rest day Wednesday. I always end rest days feeling sluggish and tired. They really don't suit me.

Turbo last night. Though the air temperature was showing as 2 deg, the tarmac outside our turbo shed was like an ice rink. Slippy as heck. The shed seems to have its own microclimate though, once properly into it we were warm, and by the main set we were all so hot we had steam coming off us, even with the door wide open. Nobody found the main set of 2x 10 mins 95rpm @ 85% excessively hard. Well, nobody except me. :)

I had to run off the bike, but couldn't do the first10 mins hard as I was meant to because it was so slippy underfoot. I couldn't risk pushing on particularly as I only had the weak light from the headtorch to see ahead. Did my 20 mins but this was the first night I felt really nervous. The combination of darkness and poor conditions made running seem a very stupid idea. Legs were fine though.

Swim this morning. 5x500 using a mix of pool toys (paddles, pull bouy, band) to tire out my arms. Finished with some 50s band which were hard, moreso because the sharks decided these were fun to watch. Intimidated, much? 3k in a little under 80 mins.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Oryx wrote: »
    I couldn't risk pushing on particularly as I only had the weak light from the headtorch to see ahead. .

up until xmas i was happy out with my headtorch, thought it had plenty of light for the routes i run at night. last few weeks have made me realise i need something stronger so switching out my current silva for one of the more powerful headtorches in their range.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Lol I remember a cycle in Nenagh a few years ago, longing for the return to Nenagh...a road sign said Nenagh 6...about 15 minutes later another road sign appeared...expecting it to say Nenagh 2 or ''Welcome to Nenagh'' it said Nenagh 8

ah but if you'd have taken the right road after the 6km sign you'd have been there in 6km. :D

mossym wrote: »
    up until xmas i was happy out with my headtorch, thought it had plenty of light for the routes i run at night. last few weeks have made me realise i need something stronger so switching out my current silva for one of the more powerful headtorches in their range.

Waiting for a rechargeable led lenser which I'm hoping will be better!

• Advertisement

Well. The aforementioned Led Lenser is nothing short of amazing. Its a h7r.2, rechargeable, and it made life so much easier this morning.

I had done my hour ez quite late last night (10.5k with drills), so 6am came around quickly this morning. I had 3 hours to do so set out early. It was only hovering around zero deg, but the roads were lethally slippy. I think this was the worst its been. Certainly harder to run on than when its that colder, crispy white 'dry' frost.

This was my first run with the new torch which only arrived yesterday. The light is adjustable so it is as bright as you want it, and it gave a wide pool of light that was quite diffuse; I had no trouble seeing well ahead. In fact it was lighting up the road signs at least 200m ahead. I dipped it down when meeting traffic after the first car I met flashed that I was blinding him. :)

But traffic wise this was a quiet one. Only fools and the put upon were out early today. The silence for the first hour was almost unnerving. And then the dawn began to break and the birds started. Noisy feckers! At one point there were a few thousand crows overhead, and the racket! If I lived within earshot of that I think I would be buying a shotgun....

The running was slow and troublesome. Slipping, sliding, traction was hard to find. I tried to run in the rough ground by the verge but that carries its own risks for a tripper-upper like me. But all in all I only had a few real 'whoa!' moments where I properly slid. It was light for the final hour, so I stuck my headphones in for some music.... starting, of course, with Idina Menzel singing 'Let it go' from Frozen. What else? :)

Slid home in 3.05 hrs having covered 30.6k. That's 19 miles for our imperial cousins ;)

Do you ever want to stretch time and make it pass slower? If so I recommend a four hour bike ride in the rain. :) Tho if I'm honest I enjoyed this mornings ride. I did it on my own because no-one could come out to play, but that meant my time was my own. Into the wind all the way to hook, but it was southerly so a little easier on the worst drags. A low av pace on the way out but I only did an 'IM' pace 20 mins towards the end. (I have no idea what my IM pace is and even if I did I couldn't hold it consistently on the roads today. There must be a better way.)

A strict 15 minutes for coffee and back on it. Only did 50kph on my 'loftus sprint' but the wind was less favourable :). Did another 20 minute effort and overall tried to work harder. Miserable dirty weather, made me dream of summer, and short sleeves... and heat! 98k in 4h05. And then a run off the bike. Slow, 4k trails the rest road. 59 mins 9.6k I look enviously at the times being put down by certain people in this forum, but it is what it is. Hopefully the race will be worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

And then a run off the bike. Slow, 4k trails the rest road. 59 mins 9.6k I look enviously at the times being put down by certain people in this forum, but it is what it is. Hopefully the race will be worth it.

Don't sell yourself short...you are way faster than you give yourself credit for. Trust me, you are going to surprise yourself many times this year. :)

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Don't sell yourself short...you are way faster than you give yourself credit for. Trust me, you are going to surprise yourself many times this year. :)
    Im allowing that right now I'm being trained to endure. I think the strategy will be to add some finesse to that over the next few months so that by midsummer I'm where I want to be. I hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

A low av pace on the way out but I only did an 'IM' pace 20 mins towards the end. (I have no idea what my IM pace is and even if I did I couldn't hold it consistently on the roads today. There must be a better way.)

For me, and only when the time comes, it's much more an IM effort than an IM pace you should be looking to hit. An IM effort in the Wicklow Mountains yields a much different average pace to an IM effort on the N11. You'll get a much better idea of what sort effort you can sustain as the weeks and months go by. I'm not sure what Ironman you are doing, but assuming it's summer time, now is far too early to be worrying about paces or efforts. Even when you start to specifically tailor your training for the race, not all your long cycles need to be done at IM effort.

• Advertisement

Thanks Zico. This was given to me to do, and I think pace/effort are loose interchangeable terms right now. I knew it was about holding a harder effort, not too specific, but I still struggle. I never know if I'm hitting where I should be or missing it by a mile. I'm not given hr to work off because from experience last autumn thats worse :) Were still trying to figure that out.

Yes my IM is midsummer but I have a big race (see sig) in six weeks, hence the injection of a bit of pace work now.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

Do you ever want to stretch time and make it pass slower? If so I recommend a four hour bike ride in the rain. :) Tho if I'm honest I enjoyed this mornings ride. I did it on my own because no-one could come out to play, but that meant my time was my own. Into the wind all the way to hook, but it was southerly so a little easier on the worst drags. A low av pace on the way out but I only did an 'IM' pace 20 mins towards the end. (I have no idea what my IM pace is and even if I did I couldn't hold it consistently on the roads today. There must be a better way.)

A strict 15 minutes for coffee and back on it. Only did 50kph on my 'loftus sprint' but the wind was less favourable :). Did another 20 minute effort and overall tried to work harder. Miserable dirty weather, made me dream of summer, and short sleeves... and heat! 98k in 4h05. And then a run off the bike. Slow, 4k trails the rest road. 59 mins 9.6k I look enviously at the times being put down by certain people in this forum, but it is what it is. Hopefully the race will be worth it.

That's a nice mornings work!!

I was tired this morning and my calves were in a hoop. The plan had been a cycle with friend but friend bailed (I'm sensing a theme these days) and I was secretly glad. I took the bike out and did some drills and skills for a half hour, because I need that as much as anything. Then i cleaned the poor baby as she was suffering from all the outings in poor weather. I did a recovery run around the trails after that, but it was uninspired. 9.5k

Kettlebells tonight. Went up to 16kg for a few dls and swings but that didn't last long. Back to 12 for everything else and still found it tough. Pullups to finish, I don't know what it is about these - I'm useless, but I love them. :)

This is an easy week. I am glad. But tonight was not an easy swim. Main set was a pyramid, I led the first 200, completely died, still died on the next 300, so I trailed at the back for the next two sets, 400 and 300, then was back under control to lead the last set of 200. Finished up with drills, and only missed 100 of these before time ran out, so 2300 altogether.

Glad I got this done. I had thought about sitting at the wall for most of it but somehow didn't do that. Rest tomorrow. Yay!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Well deserved!

Rest day yesterday. Well, there was little rest involved, but no training....

I havent got into anything yet today, but this morning, inspired by my friend doing the plank challenge thing, I did 3.5 minutes plank. I wonder can I do 4?

Rest day yesterday. Well, there was little rest involved, but no training....

I havent got into anything yet today, but this morning, inspired by my friend doing the plank challenge thing, I did 3.5 minutes plank. I wonder can I do 4?

4 would be a doddle for you!

4 would be a doddle for you!

Ill let you know!

Turbo last night. Just two of us so quite chatty, but we still got the set done as written. Main set was 3x (5@90rpm 80%, 5@100rpm 95%). It wasn't that tough once you got into it. The time flew. But it was indoors rather than the shed, so a bit sweaty!

Swim this morning. An easy week so a shorter set was planned, but I had asked a shark if she would do some stroke correction with me as I'm not getting any advice in that regard lately, and I can feel that I'm losing the gains I made pre-Christmas. Fair play to Ms Shark, she turned up on deck and did a proper coached session with me, at 6.30am! I felt sorry for the chap swimming in the lane with me, most of my swim consisted of trying to stay on his feet as long as I could. Must have driven him cracked. But I do know him, and I apologised so it wasn't completely rude. I didn't do the set I had been given in the plan, but covered the distance. 2k.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Do you partake in your club's Friday 5k runs at all?

• Advertisement

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Do you partake in your club's Friday 5k runs at all?

Nope. Cant usually get in on time and my schedule is an easy run anyway.

Did my easy run. 10k, 55 mins. Not too many drills, a bit cold and disinterested. But the run was enjoyable, legs felt fresh after an easy week.

Easy weeks are just so... easy. 45 mins this morning felt like a warmup. And I started in daylight! It was weird! Ended up being 8.85k in 49 mins incl 6 strides.

I have got next weeks plan though. Back on it, including a mhr test. Oh lordy...

I wasn't supposed to train today, but it was Sunday, and Hook was calling me... it seemed a shame to miss out. So, out at the usual time to the usual place, for the usual ride, though I promised myself today would be easy. Just a wee pootle. It was much colder out than I expected, and the roads had a sheen of ice. I do not like ice! I crawled along picking the driest looking bits of tarmac. Unfortunately as I was taking it so easy, I chilled fast, which led to a problem with my hands. By the time I met my companion I was distracted by nerve pain, my hands felt like they were being crushed. Ive had this before, its horrible, and kinda inexplicable. But my pal waited patiently as I shook out my hands to ease them, while saying 'fook' a bit too much. Once they eased, they were fine, but I don't think cold weather challenges are ever going to be my thing.

The ride out to the lighthouse was a doddle, flew by. The ride back was tougher though. I think we are used to having a tailwind, and with that missing all the rolling bumps felt just that little bit sharper. But the sun was blazing in a clear blue sky, the air was cold and fresh, and all in all it was a great day to be out and alive and cycling. I dawdled along for the final few kms on my own, simply loving being out and doing this. Even though I screwed up my rest day, I think it was worth it. 82.2k in 3hrs 40 something.

And I have noticed that the only chats more random and varied than drunk pub chats, are the ones that take place when you're riding a bike :)

I shouldn't even put a "thumbs up" on that post since you blatantly disobeyed the plan with your insubordination (bad girl!!!), but the ride sounded lovely and potentially worth the rebelliousness. ;):)

^^^^hark at the one giving out to me for breaking a plan. I saw your run times the other day, missus...

^^^^hark at the one giving out to me for breaking a plan. I saw your run times the other day, missus...

See....I know of what I speak!!! ;)

Hill reps this morning. I always reckon the training you dread most is the stuff that does you the most good. This run was one of the dreaded ones. 10 min w/u then hard hill intervals. The longest intervals have gone from 2 to 3 minutes and they were uuugly. I only had to do two but I was dizzy and sick finishing each. They got shorter after that, so not quite as sickening, but my calves were seized. I was glad to get to the final one and trot back up the hill. I finished with an easy run, making the total 14.95k in 83 minutes.

These are progressive sessions. I am really dreading next week if its an increase on this one.

Hill reps this morning.

These are progressive sessions. I am really dreading next week if its an increase on this one.

I see you're not tapering for Donadea either! You've got dreaded hill reps next week, and I've got 31 miles to run this weekend! Looks like you and I are doing this little 50k just for sh*ts and giggles. ;):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

I see you're not tapering for Donadea either! You've got dreaded hill reps next week, and I've got 31 miles to run this weekend! Looks like you and I are doing this little 50k just for sh*ts and giggles. ;):)

The 50k jog is just a gentle taper for the mountain biking, right??

Advertisement