Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Good Mood Cookbook

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

When a 50k run isn't even a blip in your calendar you know you're not in Kansas anymore...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

BTH wrote: »
    The 50k jog is just a gentle taper for the mountain biking, right??

I got my eye on you Ginger Spice. I'll be sure to bring my shades on that Sunday. ;)
    Oryx wrote: »
    When a 50k run isn't even a blip in your calendar you know you're not in Kansas anymore...

What time is body marking that morning?

Dory Dory wrote: »
    What time is body marking that morning?
    Body marking? Ah now, I'm not getting into any weird pre race rituals with you.

Club swim. I knew I was tired, but I didn't know how tired till one of the girls asked me why I was going so slow tonight. I thought I was really trying! But the water felt like treacle and I was clumsy and inept.

I led two intervals of our swim pyramid anyway, simply because the others couldn't decide who was doing it, so said sod it and pushed off. I guess I was grumpy too. :)

By the last part of the set I had started to cramp, not just one place, but everywhere. Feet, calves, hamstrings, torso. Cramps pinging on like chaser Christmas lights. I couldn't do the final sets of drills at all, and just did an easy sd with pullbuoy. I dunno, about 2200 in total.

An awful swim, and I still have cramps on my feet now. Need to cut down on coffee and up the water intake I think!

Okay... how to post today and not break the rules of the blog.... No explanations No excuses No complaining No wimping out No attitude

Ill try.... I had a rest day Wednesday, and as the clock ticked through the day, my motivation seemed to seep out of my pores and evaporate. I got up Thursday and did a lacklustre core session, then last night I hummed and hawed, delayed and faffed about, trying to put off the max hr test I had lined up on the turbo. Just a half hour, but when your head is not in the zone, 30 minutes is a looong time. 20 min to 85% then tick tock through the hard effort ten with a blast for the final minute. Easy, right? Except my hr hung at the 170 mark and in spite of drooling from the effort, the most I could lift it to in the final effort was 175. Thats 6 beats lower than the last test I did, on a hot day in the summer. I am a bit disheartened by that, to be honest.

I ran off the bike, 10 minutes hard, then 20 easy. My calves are already stiff, they hurt for Mondays run, but coming off a hard spin on the bike, into a hard uphill run in the cold, well, it was crazy painful. I had to stop and walk bits on the way back. My calves seized and I was worried I was going to damage something. I rolled them afterwards, and again this morning, but they are no better, on the verge of spasm all the time. If I cant get them right, no way I am doing 50k next week, they just wont survive it. But I have a week. And a week can do a lot. Down but not out yet.

Swim this morning. I got through it, but not my best swim ever. Still feeling clumsy, like Ive forgotten how to swim. Did the 3k, even though I wrote the set wrong so I missed a section of 4x25 band. Oops.

Here is the mandatory smiley face to counteract any negativity in the above: :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

What about a massage on them? If not, get a sliotar at them to release them? Hope it's nothing serious.

pgibbo wrote: »
    What about a massage on them? If not, get a sliotar at them to release them? Hope it's nothing serious.
    Its just overuse. Im getting them beaten up on Monday, as thats the latest I can leave it, but the earliest I could get. I will continue working on them till then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Sorry to hear your having trouble with your calves Oryx. I found these exercises good and easy to do - http://www.kinetic-revolution.com/30daychallenge/dynamic-calf-mobility/ They might help you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Sorry to hear about this. It's probably a good time to look back at everything you've achieved in the last few months, all the great work you've done and remind yourself that a couple of sessions won't make or break anything.

If the 50k happens then great but it doesn't seem to be a goal race. The main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing.

^^^very wise words there, that helps. Thanks. I also did those exercises mentioned above, but on a slant board. Theyre very effective. I really appreciate the help given in this forum, its a real gift, this place.

So, I was due to do two runs today and yesterday, and I discussed my options with the coach. The decision was to attempt one, or both, but if there were issues, to quit and cycle instead. Last night was easy with drills, but I didn't do them. I just ran very easy, concentrating on keeping all my limbs loose and my calf muscles 'switched off'. I was imagining being a floppy wooden puppet :) Uphill seems to be the cause of the problem, that was when things tended to get tight. I had a few niggles and almost cramps, and was stiff, but did 10k in the hour.

This morning the schedule was 2h15 easy with 6 strides. I cannot express how much I did not want to do this. But I told myself these are the hard yards, you have to get through them. Out into the dark yet again, thankfully no frost today. (I think running all tensed up on frost is what caused the leg issues) Again this was about running loose and easy, the main thing was not to have any tension in my legs. The first hour was hard, it got easier after that. The only incident was an alsation launching out of a gate at me. A snarling snapping dog lit by a head torch is a sight to behold I tell you. Thankfully he didnt make a serious attempt to bite, just made a lot of noise. :)

An uneventful trot after that, I did gradually stiffen but not to the extent that I considered stopping. The body is a wonderful thing, what it can put up with. I still need to work on the calves though (new discovery - a roll of clingfilm makes a great stick roller) cos 50k is a big ask.

23.6k in 2h17

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Are you just foam rolling your calves? Make sure you get around the sides of them too...and your hammys

Are you just foam rolling your calves? Make sure you get around the sides of them too...and your hammys

Rolling anywhere that hurts. Theres a bit of shin splinty type stuff going on as well, thats been there since I got back running last year. I dont find rolling the hamstrings does much?

Long cycle today. No rest for the wicked. My cycling companion took out their sparkling new giant trinity, so I spent a lot of time trying to keep up. No frost on the roads but a freezing fog made this one of the chillier rides I've done. We're not out of the winter woods yet! 85k in 3h37 ride time with the obligatory coffee stop in the middle. Tough but doable.

Off the bike for a half hour run, tight calves and all. 6.25k in 34 mins.

I didn't eat enough on the bike this morning. I had that 'stand at the fridge and stuff your face using both hands' thing when I got back. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

I had that 'stand at the fridge and stuff your face using both hands' thing when I got back. :)

Funnily enough just discussing that a minute ago with the GF. I did a hard 90 min turbo before lunch and when I got out of the shower she had a sensible, healthy lunch made, whereas otherwise I just would have ate all in front of me, healthy be damned.

I think the trick is to plan ahead and have something prepared or laid out before you start your session. No point undoing all the hard work with sugary crap.

I think you might be dead right about the frosty roads adding to your calf issues, have you anywhere nearby that would be safer than the roads that doesn't require too much driving. Something similar to the soft trails in The Raven would be ideal and probably great for the head too.

Re: the cling film roll. If you know any farmers ask them for the insert from a roll of silage wrap, like a toilet roll insert on steroids. Great job and free.

Best of luck for the weekend. Save something for Sunday.

More freezing fog today and more running. Plan was an hour with 30 minutes build today. I didn't think I was going to get this done but once I started the build it just seemed to slot into place. 10.75k in 59 minutes.

My legs were twinging but didnt cramp, though they are so stiff they even hurt when I lie in bed. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

You running tomorrow? I hope so and if so, the very best of luck. Have a good one!

pgibbo wrote: »
    You running tomorrow? I hope so and if so, the very best of luck. Have a good one!
    I have a 20 min run tonight, after which I decide if I'm running tomorrow. All week I have been working on the presumption that I will run, but the final decision won't be taken till later. And the decision on whether I finish will be taken on a lap by lap basis tomorrow!

Fingers crossed for you and best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Best of luck tomorrow Oryx. really hope you are ok to do it and go on to have a great day.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭ToTriOrNot

Good luck tomorrow Oryx. Enjoy the race no matter what!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

Not sure if you're racing Oryx, but if so good luck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Great running Oryx, especially for someone who wasn't definitely running up to yesterday! Delighted for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Great running Oryx; talk about consistency.
    Every single lap (apart from the first which had an extra 320m run in) was 25:xx
    http://www.redtagtiming.com/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Well done Kate! Not bad, beating last years time and all I think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Well done Kate! Not bad, beating last years time and all I think?

15 minutes faster she told me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Good stuff Kate :D

Sandbagger !!

She's probably been training on the MTB's as well and going to kick all our butts tomorrow.

Only kidding, well done, great accomplishment.

Thanks guys. As much a surprise to me as anyone. Went off quite hot and just persevered. Calves were in total white hot agony by the end the last two laps were purgatory. Delighted with those splits!

4.15 which is 13 mins ahead of last time.

Happy but need tlc on the legs now

So. As above, I ran donadea 50k on Saturday, which feels like a month ago now. It hardly warrants a big report, but it was my second attempt at it, and is turning into one of my favourite races. Made even better by having our US mascot, Dory, lining up to start as well. Of course she had pulled away ahead of me within the first few kms, but unfortunately it was not her day... a tale i leave her to tell.

As for me, I found myself running comfortably at a faster pace than expected, 25 mins per lap roughly, and right up to lap 7 I felt strong and relaxed. I knew the pace was up a bit but what the hell, this whole race was a test to see where I am compared to last year. Why not push it?

My calves had been giving me gyp for the last while and my instructions were 'just dont injure'. The tighter they got the more I tried to relax and take the pressure off them, but by the end I was really concerned I was going to get a tear or pop.. they were so seized. Thankfully they held though. Lap 8 was tough, and the final two were mind over matter, a real struggle to push and hold pace. But I knew I would pay for going hard earlier, and it was 'only' 10k. Ya just dig in.

Finished at 4.15.46 which was such an improvement on last year I am genuinely pleased. I had no idea if I was really back from last years hiccup, this shows me I am. My placing was lower than last year, some very strong women out there, very impressive to see.

And... then there was Sunday. As you do after a 50k run, we went mountain biking in Ballyhoura. I popped my mtb cherry. It was awkward, unfunny, and difficult. I hated pretty much every minute. I fell off even on the easy bits, grumbled, got laughed at (justifiably) walked miles and learned to be humble again. I swore never again but you know what? I can't let it beat me. So of course I will be back. I don't know if the most helpful and encouraging Pointer will come back next time, but I sincerely hope so. He kept me going when I was ready to get off and throw the bike down the nearest crevasse. It was great to meet such a pleasant bunch of boardsies, from clear headed career move to the fragrant BTH and all the others... even the ones who sailed past mockingly when we were struggling. ;) I hated it, but it was a great day. Thanks guys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

to the fragrant BTH

Can't have been worse than the smell of Guinness you'd have got off me if you'd hung around the last time we met :)

Advertisement