Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Good Mood Cookbook

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

You were lucky to get away with that. A couple of years ago I was accosted by a couple of dogs who came out their gate after me when I was running up Begerin Hill on the N25 (if you know it). The Alsatian among them only made one move and that was teeth onto my right quad. Luckily damage was limited to a couple of scrapes from teeth and some bruising. If it'd been my calf I'm not sure what damage would have been done. Haven't run up Begerin Hill as quickly since!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

I can't stand that carry on with dogs, I have 3 and none of them are allowed wander on the roads and bother strangers going about their business and if they did it once I'd make damn sure they wouldn't do it a second time.

Don't know what yer man was at with pushing you forward, strange behaviour.

Anyway, more importantly check out this website, lots of gluten free stuff including Homemade Nakd Bars, Power Bites and Peanut Butter Cups, mostly consisting of "bung it all in a food processor and sqiush into a ball" type recipes. I'm gonna dangle some Peanut Butter Cups in front of me like a Donkey with a Carrot and set endless PB's going forward.

http://rosannaskitchen.com/index.php/category/wheat-free-2/page/2/

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

@ dilbert: I think I even know the house! Theres one still has mad dogs in it.

Inspired by the link above (but lacking the right ingredients) I just mixed oats, linseed, dates, sultanas, coconut oil and chocolate into the messiest yummiest mini bites that ever saw my fridge. But they wont see it for long!

Oryx wrote: »
    @ dilbert: I think I even know the house! Theres one still has mad dogs in it.

Yeah it's unoccupied now but, despite being a miserable, scrawny article, I'd say I was the most meat the poor creature had seen in a while. And I'd find it hard to hurt an animal that was already mistreated. Just steered clear after that.

• Advertisement

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Yeah it's unoccupied now but, despite being a miserable, scrawny article, I'd say I was the most meat the poor creature had seen in a while. And I'd find it hard to hurt an animal that was already mistreated. Just steered clear after that.

Almost every time I head out, no matter what the route I seem to get chased by dogs. I need to change my scent :)

Almost every time I head out, no matter what the route I seem to get chased by dogs. I need to change my scent :)

Bet ya got that Eau De Bonio on sale in McCauley's there before Christmas. Might have been a mistake...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

I thought of you yesterday as I rescued a hedgehog that was getting closer and closer to being squashed on the road every time I passed him. I picked him up and dropped him (gently!!) into an adjacent field. The reason I was running past him repeatedly was due to the fact that I'm stuck to a 1km out and back route from the house due to a neighbours dog :mad: Every time I run past he comes charging out at me and tries to nip me, now my wife says I should must turn my back and ignore him and he'll go back inside, but being a man my natural instinct is to pick up a large stick and try and beat the head off the fecker, which makes him more angry and aggressive every time I pass. A this stage I've given up, but am tempted to order this to deal with him :D

griffin100 wrote: »
    I thought of you yesterday as I rescued a hedgehog that was getting closer and closer to being squashed on the road every time I passed him. I picked him up and dropped him (gently!!) into an adjacent field. The reason I was running past him repeatedly was due to the fact that I'm stuck to a 1km out and back route from the house due to a neighbours dog :mad: Every time I run past he comes charging out at me and tries to nip me, now my wife says I should must turn my back and ignore him and he'll go back inside, but being a man my natural instinct is to pick up a large stick and try and beat the head off the fecker, which makes him more angry and aggressive every time I pass. A this stage I've given up, but am tempted to order this to deal with him :D
    I turned my back on the dog yesterday, it made him chase me even more, cos he thought I was scared and running away! But I refuse to be cowed and give up my hill rep hill, so next time I'm bringing ammunition. Dog biscuits!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Show no fear. At all. If you completely ignore the dog it will go away. Don't look at it, don't shush it, don't acknowledge it. Confuses the crap out of dogs.

• Advertisement

Show no fear. At all. If you completely ignore the dog it will go away. Don't look at it, don't shush it, don't acknowledge it. Confuses the crap out of dogs.
    Its hard to ignore a dog thats trying to put holes in your ankles.

Ahh they're just big wusses really :)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cR3SvL2SmDo

The bigger issue is that you shouldn't have to do any of those things.

You're running on public roads and have every right to be there, the dog does not, especially a breed as potentially damaging as an Alsatian.

Unfortunately, because we put up with this behaviour, the owners won't make any effort to control their animals, which is all well and good until they do some serious damage

Nobody wants to be the whiney neighbour but I would have absolutely no hesitation in reporting this to the dog warden. Not recommending that the dog be shot on sight or anything but a visit from the warden might be enough to make the owners fix their fence or shut their gate.

pointer28 wrote: »
    The bigger issue is that you shouldn't have to do any of those things.

You're running on public roads and have every right to be there, the dog does not, especially a breed as potentially damaging as an Alsatian.

Unfortunately, because we put up with this behaviour, the owners won't make any effort to control their animals, which is all well and good until they do some serious damage

Nobody wants to be the whiney neighbour but I would have absolutely no hesitation in reporting this to the dog warden. Not recommending that the dog be shot on sight or anything but a visit from the warden might be enough to make the owners fix their fence or shut their gate.
    Ive just done a quick tot up in my head, and, taking in my two most used (rural) routes, I cross paths with at least 6 angry mutts regularly when running. Most make a lot of noise but are, so far, harmless. Thankfully I'm not scared of dogs! Only had two incidents where I thought I might get bitten - yesterday, and a few weeks ago in the dark, another alsatian who is usually on a radio collar, came charging out of his gate at me. Tbh, Id be more inclined to knock on someones door and have a chat (if I can get past the dog!) than report them. I dont want to be THAT person who gets the law onto people when a quiet word might do the trick.

Anyway, for now, Ill bring the dog biscuits and hope for the best. Its what postmen do!

Absolutely, if you can talk to the owner it's the best way but you're still in the right and if they don't accept that then I'd go the other way.

BTW, I used to be a postman. The dog biscuits are just the official line, and only work with the friendly ones who are a bit nervous of you rather than a proper aggressive one.

pointer28 wrote: »
    Absolutely, if you can talk to the owner it's the best way but you're still in the right and if they don't accept that then I'd go the other way.

BTW, I used to be a postman. The dog biscuits are just the official line, and only work with the friendly ones who are a bit nervous of you rather than a proper aggressive one.

The unofficial line is a tazer, right? :D

The unofficial line is a tazer, right? :D

There's a few and it wouldn't cost me a thought.

There used to be some sort of a sonic contraption that was silent to humans but dogs could hear, point it at them and press the button jobby. Some dogs hated it and ran a mile but others didn't even seem to notice it. Better than nothing though.

With something like an Alsatian you have to remember that they've been bred for years to be aggressive towards humans and it's usually pent up aggression coming out due to lack of stimulation and boredom. They're guard dogs and they think they're doing a good thing by chasing away a stranger from their patch. Sheepdogs are another problem but they think they're "rounding you up" like sheep so they nip at your ankles and think they're doing a good thing. It's been bred into them for hundreds of years and it's what they live for. For example, I have a terrier sitting at my feet, who's ancestors were bred to hunt badgers and hence he sees everything small and furry as the enemy and given half a chance would happily hunt down every cat in the neighbourhood if I didn't keep him locked in my own yard and stop him wandering the roads.

With most breeds it's just a case of standing firm and reminding the animal of their place in the pecking order, ie humans on top but with a large aggressive breed like an Alsatian you better be very brave and very sure if you make a stand against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Mr Tony Stark

I ll tell you what's worse than an Alsation. A Jack Russell who thinks it an Alsation. They don't give up.

I ll tell you what's worse than an Alsation. A Jack Russell who thinks it an Alsation. They don't give up.

Where do you think the term Small Dog Syndrome came from ;-)

The only time I was bitten by a dog on my postal round was by some little sh1t of a Chihuahua type thing, only as big as a kitten, caught me by the elbow when I leaned in to close the gate from outside. I don't know how fast he would be in a straight line but he was pretty nimble when it came to avoiding size 9's.

Only saving grace is that they can only do a finite amount of damage at that size.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Ain't nothing worse that than stuttery thing the legs do when a dog appears out of nowhere at you.

You don't know whether you are about to bolt, stand your ground or sh1t yourself. Like they have a mind of their own.

• Advertisement

Was running on the n25 (again) another day, facing traffic with my headphones in when I heard this guttural roar behind me. Stopped to find a salivating Rottweiler only about a foot behind me. Luckily he was all about the chase and focked off when I roared at him. But he should never have been loose.

Coincidentally his owners were of the same ilk as the Alsatian's and I'd say both dogs had been kicked, beaten and starved for most of their lives. Contrary to popular opinion - and i know Oryx's log is not the place to be debating it - most aggressive canine behaviour is learned, not bred, and based on fear rather than anger.

There are no bad dogs, just bad owners.

I may have to rename this the Good Boy! Cookbook.

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Contrary to popular opinion - and i know Oryx's log is not the place to be debating it - most aggressive canine behaviour is learned, not bred, and based on fear rather than anger.

You're dead right that this log is not the place to discuss it but with breeds like Rottweiller's, Alsatian's etc that's exactly what they're bred. As far as the dog is concerned they're only doing their job and guarding their home, and I've been very glad of this in the past (numerous break-ins) but it's up to the owner to keep this in check and stop them terrorising innocent passers-by regardless of the dogs intent.

Anyway, back to Oryx, I'm sure she's itching to tell us she ran 30 miles with one arm in a cast and a dodgy hip while juggling chainsaws.

Ye might as well keep discussing doggies. Off trainin today due to (wo)man flu.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Ye might as well keep discussing doggies. Off trainin today due to (wo)man flu.

Off training?? :eek: You must be sick as a dog then! ;)

Yeah I'm feeling ruff.

Well, then.....HEEL!

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Well, then.....HEEL!

Stop!

''The dogs only do what you say RQ''
    ''No, they're obedient, you just say it the wrong way''

So...yeah...Oryx...how many days to the race now?

So...yeah...Oryx...how many days to the race now?

I'll take the liberty here....it is in 9 days....and our ultra-iron hoochie has been quite under the weather. :( I'm lighting a candle, saying novenas, and will put my makeshift headless-with-adapted-powers Child of Prague in the garden for you!! :D Get well soon, Oryx. And don't fret about the training - the work for The Race is done, all you need right now is rest and nutrition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 Mr Tony Stark

She did Ironman Wales on one leg with just some Haribo to survive. She'll be there. FACT.

Advertisement