Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Good Mood Cookbook

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Dory Dory wrote: »
    the work for The Race is done, all you need right now is rest and nutrition.

the more posts i see referring it the more i realise how brialliant jsut calling a race "The race" is

rest and recover oryx. you'll be chomping at the bit come the start line, (figured a horse reference was needed after too much dog talk

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Today I ran for 25 minutes, to see if I still have legs after a hellish week. I'm not recovered but if I want to do this Race, I need to know how I feel. That means attempting training in a very limited way. It went well considering only on Wednesday I hadnt the energy to brush my teeth.

I have done 4 races since December and have been sick or injured prior to each one. It is beginning to seem like I'm doing this deliberately but its just very unfortunate luck. But I am planning and preparing for the race and unless i get a relapse if this dose I will show up to the start line anyway and see what happens. So with a sense of deja vu I again cross my fingers and hope I get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Ah shoite - fingers crossed for you...

Today I had been signed up for the Ben 5k, but having been sick that was now pointless. So today was meant to be another training test, with eyes on the race. It was a test alright. Plan was 90mins bike with 10 mins run off bike. Grand.

Weather looked fair to middling, so I wore what seemed appropriate. It wasnt. Headed up the N11 with a side on wind (I hoped). Pretty cold at first, but dry, legs felt good and all went well. Rode along with another cyclist for a few miles at one point, and it was going so well I didn't turn till the hour mark. Oh, how those extra 15 minutes haunted me. Heading back, it started to rain. Then it started to pour. Then, the wind rose. By the time I got within 5 miles of home I was soaked to the skin and battling, and well past my original 90 target. Ive ridden in these conditions before but for some reason I have never been so cold or struggled so much. The legs were fine, I just couldn't deal with the wet and cold.

Turned onto my road home, into a full on wind, uphill. I started to talk to myself a la Dorothy from Oz: "there's no place like home, there's no place like home". Longest road ever. When I got to my gate I couldn't pull the brakes and had to roll to a stop. I have reynauds in my hands and they hurt exquisitely by then, I had tears in my eyes; no way was I running. Straight in to the house and stripped off under the shower while my hands agonisingly thawed. 2hrs and change, 52k.

If this is an indicator of how next week is going to go, I think I'll run and hide till its over. Not a good day to finish off my week of woe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Ouch :eek:

You're tough though. You'll be fine next week whatever gets thrown at you ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

If you feel ready, your not ready.

Last few weeks are always full of woe, for all of us, thats how you know you're ready...without realising your ready.

Rest up, keep warm, fuel up and wrap yourself in bubble wrap. Be grand.

I missed Ben5K too unfortunately. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

If you're feeling off there's no better treatment than rest. You wont be able to do any training that will benefit The Race but you could keep yourself ill and hence not get through it. Resting will naturally make you feel slow and lethargic but you've to remember the good work you have done to date and that doesn't disappear overnight! I say rest up, get lots of sleep, throw in the hot ginger/lemon drinks and see how the body goes. You're naturally going to still be feeling tired after Donadea!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

On the plus side, the forecast is lovely for the weekend.

Nothing more to add that hasn't already been said but at least it's one less thing to worry about.

Just borrowed a few bits of kit, sorted some other stuff and feel a lot more organised today. No training yet but today is a light day anyway. And I feel totally healthy at the moment. Hope that lasts :)

Yeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh!!!!

Cue "The Eye Of The Tiger" or whatever else gets you going!

• Advertisement

Oryx wrote: »
    And I feel totally healthy at the moment.

Great stuff. The way you're getting run down just before goal races might be a sign that you're training right to your limit. But isn't that why we taper?

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Great stuff. The way you're getting run down just before goal races might be a sign that you're training right to your limit. But isn't that why we taper?

Its something I've thought about and will bring up with the coach alright but I think its just coincidence really. I'm handling training better than I've done in the past. Sure, a high training load makes you more susceptible to illness but I have school going kids and I think we're just going to get bugs thru the house every so often.

The thing is the closer we get to our immune systems' limits the more likely we are to succumb to one of the nasties that the kids bring home.

As a matter of interest I saw a rule of thumb recently that for every mile a person runs during the week they should have an equivalent number of extra minutes sleep per night. I've never done it but there could be something in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Good look at the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

tunney wrote: »
    Good look at the weekend

I see you're still hung up on her legs. ;)

Dory Dory wrote: »
    I see you're still hung up on her legs. ;)
    The beast (physio) said they're not pretty (all last years scars!) but he reckons they're strong at least.

Swam last night. Had to use pb for most of the set as feet kept cramping. Got lapped by people I can usually stay ahead of but I haven't been in the pool in a while. Maybe its that. Lots of mental and physical pressure piling on this week. Even getting to do the race is uncertain, I can only take each day as it comes for now. Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

A few tams loking for a female to join Beast teams ;) Def think there is another boards team lurking too.

Anyway, what are you most nervous about for this weekend?

A few tams loking for a female to join Beast teams ;) Def think there is another boards team lurking too.

Anyway, what are you most nervous about for this weekend?
    a)that I don't get there
    b)that I do get there!
    c)staying fed
    d)staying warm

After that its very simple: keep going.

Oh and The Beast? Only if I can have stabilisers on my bike.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Okay, ultra-iron-with-the-sexy-legs hoochie!! Enjoy yourself at the weekend. I want to hear tales of you chasing that pretty faced Bambaata all over Donegal. I want to hear tales of how the two of you played in the mud and muck and laughed til dawn. I want to hear the good, the bad and the ugly...and then have it all end with a little smiley face or a winky. Good luck!! But most of all, enjoy!!! :);)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

best of luck this weekend!

• Advertisement

Best of luck at the weekend! Looking forward to the glorious report :)

P.s what cake should I try bring to our bike fits? :)

Best of luck at the weekend, fingers crossed for you even though you don't need it.

Best of luck at the weekend! Looking forward to the glorious report :)

P.s what cake should I try bring to our bike fits? :)
    Carrot :)
    pointer28 wrote: »
    Best of luck at the weekend, fingers crossed for you even though you don't need it.
    I need it. Actually I need it just for the packing part.

Oryx wrote: »
    Carrot :)

Have never actually made carrot cake...sounds awfully...healthy

Hope you enjoy The Race Oryx.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

best of luck at the weekend oryx. here's hoping you stand on the startline with a smile on your face, and the finish line with a bigger one .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Good luck soldier :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Best of luck ....one for when ur finished http://www.brutalevents.co.uk/the_brutal.html

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Mr Tony Stark

My Hero.

• Advertisement

ultraman1 wrote: »
    Best of luck ....one for when ur finished http://www.brutalevents.co.uk/the_brutal.html

Thats already on the list ;)

Advertisement