Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Good Mood Cookbook

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Excellent!

Whats on the menu? :)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Excellent!

Whats on the menu? :)

Well, I haven't completely neglected my culinary skills. But the past few months have been very much a taster menu, doing what feels possible, and seeing how I hold up. What I have discovered is that long and easy is fine as long as I rest afterwards, intensity can only be done in very small portions, with plenty of recovery in the days afterwards. Medically, I have had all the required tests, and am ok, no permanent damage done, but I still know that it will take many more months to rebuild what I broke. The moral of the story is, do not train and race when your body is telling you it's not well. I didn't listen, and I have lost a year for it. To quote my consultant: 'There are limits in terms of how far you can push yourself within reason'. That's pretty much the lesson I have to learn.

So this year as it had been planned is totally scrapped. I have loose plans, but they are all open to being scrapped too, I can't get wrapped up in targets right now, that's what cocked me up in the first place!

In July I am heading to Wales to do none, part or all of LCW, I will play it by ear. After that my calendar is free, I have an entry for DCT, but again, I will only do it if body says GO. There are other things I have my eye on, but I have people around me ready to slap me silly if they think I am getting on the insane training merry-go-round again.

In terms of training, I am doing about 5-6k of swimming per week, some pool, some ow. One long ride of maybe 100k, and the odd short spin on my lovely Argon beastie. Running twice or three times pw, long run is 90 mins max so far. I notice when I have done a long run, that's what has the biggest impact on energy. I am slow, but I don't watch my garmin right now. Time is irrelevant, base strength and good health is more important. I am picking back up on strength and circuit work, and doing skills on the bike, if I cant go hard, I may as well get clever. I'm focussed on having fun with my kids, and my friends, I had lost sight of how important that is. When I lost my ability to train, my friends moved into the vacuum it left, and I am so, so, grateful for that. They've been my sanity, and I'm truly blessed I had such support around me.

Thats all the talk done, it will be all training reported from now on, I promise!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Jesus, I haven't even gone 90 minutes for a run yet!!! That's some nice training you've been doing, which makes me in awe of what your log is going to look like when you're 100%! But then again, you are our ultra-iron hoochie!!! :)

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Jesus, I haven't even gone 90 minutes for a run yet!!! That's some nice training you've been doing, which makes me in awe of what your log is going to look like when you're 100%! But then again, you are our ultra-iron hoochie!!! :)
    Your 90 minutes would cover more ground than mine. :)

Im not supposed to even think of 100%.... I have a dangerous mentality! But I am looking towards certain 'Challenges' next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Brilliant. The news we were all waiting for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Yeah! So happy to see you back at it. Can't keep a good woman down eh!

Well. This was today.

2550m swim this morning (500 sw, 500 pb, 500 pb & pad, 500 pb pad & band, 4 × 25 band, 8 x 50 (25 ez 25 hard) 50 sd. A makey uppey set, but I like this stuff. Not too much speed work, lots of working the arms. 70 mins.

Turbo tonight. Ez spinning while watching TED talks. 60 mins. Then a bit of planking cos my god, my core has been swapped for Jabba the Hutt's. Not a good look ;)

Feck sake. One bloody day back and putting us all to shame already.

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Feck sake. One bloody day back and putting us all to shame already.

I picked a good day to start posting again.

Today was long run day, and I was looking forward to it. Nothing so relaxing as a long run in good weather. But my legs are not quite there yet, and I only hit the 'runners zone' - that place where you forget you're running and get lost in your thoughts - once or twice. It was also slow, but pushing the effort gives problems, so slow will do. Its all progress. 21k in two hours. Longest run in over 3 months.

I am going to score sessions so I can look back and spot any up or down trend in how Im feeling. It will be 3 numbers, scores out of ten, for how I felt Mentally and Physically before training, and how I feel Overall, afterwards. Today is M: 4 (sleepy) P: 6 (good) and O: 5 (tired)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Jaysus, putting us - who have no excuses - to shame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

I love the numbers idea, might be a lot more useful to most of us than pace/power etc.

Now you just need to think up a name for it and sell it to training peaks and retire on the proceeds.

pointer28 wrote: »
    I love the numbers idea, might be a lot more useful to most of us than pace/power etc.

Now you just need to think up a name for it and sell it to training peaks and retire on the proceeds.
    Id retire now but triathlon is just too damn expensive. :)

Friel already has a number assessment thing in his training diary. You rate your workout from 1 - 7. The important thing for me tho is to assess how i feel before training. I have got to used to feeling like sh-t and training anyway.

Oryx wrote: »
    I have got to used to feeling like sh-t and training anyway.

Been there and done that, and the more you try to suck it up and get on with it, the worse it gets.

A short break from training when you feel it coming on is a lot better than a long, enforced break when you've done the damage.

I'm shamelessly copying your idea onto a spreadsheet of my own with a nice little graph (maths nerd at heart) and when I see a downwards trend it's time for a break. Simples.

Long bike today. Actually, not long enough for my head but we gotta look after the body first! Did the first 58k with the beast, god love him, he never complained, but it was very slow. 2h28 slow. I left him to his own devices (and a further 6 hr ride) after that, and headed home alone. The return route had a tailwind and was more fun than the out. Nice and sunny, bare arms, wow what a difference from all the purgatory rides over winter. Got back in 4h 40 and 116k. Apart from being a bit hungry, i felt pretty good.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Some pretty serious training going on for someone just back at it! You mad yoke!

Some pretty serious training going on for someone just back at it! You mad yoke!

I havent leapt back in this week. Ive built up but it was a bit haphazard. Couldn't plan... hadto wait and see how i felt each day

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Jesus Christ! You make me feel like a frickin' wimp today!!! Well done you.

Sea swim this morning, myself and a pal had the sun on our backs and tho the sea felt cold initially it was lovely once you got going. Roughly 2.4k

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Mr Tony Stark

Oh for God sake !!!!!!!!!

I though I knew how mental you are.

Oh for God sake !!!!!!!!!

I though I knew how mental you are.

I probably shouldn't mention the kettlebell session this evening then should I?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭brickysession

Imagine what you might be doing if you were 100%

Imagine what you might be doing if you were 100%

Fcuking IMUK :(

Good to see ya B!

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭brickysession

Oryx wrote: »

Good to see ya B!

My life was just not the same, I had to do it

Early morning sleepy deepy run. Still slow, but feeling a lot more me than I have in a long time. It was muggy and warm out, with light fog, one of those weird quiet mornings that make you feel like a character in a Stephen King novel. But thankfully, no Cujo on the route today.

6.8k in a woeful 38 minutes.
    Itsnotaboutthetime.
    Itsnotaboutthetime.
    Itsnotaboutthetime. :)

Sea swim tonight. This was the rockinest, strongest, best swim ive done all year. LOVED it. But I was up for it going in. On the way someone asked was I 'back' (on form) and for the first time I said 'Yes. I'm back' :)

Worked hard in the water, chasing a few people and staying ahead of others, I gave it a good shot. Got to 1500 in 29 mins, 2k in 42. (Current caused variations in pace). Thats my best pace ever, i think. Was warm all the way and not tired getting out. Tea and a yak afterwards made it a really good social night out. I want more of these!

Brilliant. Delighted for you.

You know what I love about your number system, and I've stolen it myself, is that the last number is just about always higher than the first two. This reinforces the fact that you, and we all, are happier by doing this. Isn't that the point and isn't it great to be reminded of that?

I think if that number is ever lower, its a signal to take time off. We will see.

Early start this morning. I haven't been on my tt bike in two weeks and I needed to spend some time on it. So up with the lark, chewing breakfast while dewy eyed and shellshocked with sleep. I have plans tonight and will miss the club tt so it had to be done.

Still, it was really nice to head out on a mild morning with the birds singing. I LOVE SUMMER! I want to move somewhere it's like this all the time! The first few miles today were wobbly and uncertain. I am truly not a born cyclist.. but once I found my way around beastie again, I forgot I was on the bars, relaxed and enjoyed it. By the home stretch I was channeling my inner Wiggo and wondering should I buy a fixie. :)

I was on a narrow main road today, with cars whizzing by, so I was cautious. Especially when you hear air brakes behind you and you know something enormous is about to pass. Not the best route, and hilly too, but its where I live. Its this or drive somewhere to cycle which is silly. I say that by way of explanation of my time; 31k in 70 mins. I want to get better than this...!

As Dilbert already pointed out, it's great to see a few 9's in your numbers but apart from that, there's just so much positivity in your last few posts and that's really fantastic.

Sometimes we have to remember that this is meant to be fun.

It is a whole lot nicer/easier in the sunny weather though.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Mr Tony Stark

"31k in 70 mins. I want to get better than this...! "

You WILL go better than this, but that road doesn't allow it really. Very impressed with your progress here Oryx. ;)

Just have to go and work out your scoring system, mine usually ends in 999.

• Advertisement

So today, the pool is closed meaning no early swim. I wanted to do something but oh my god was it hard to wake up today. My brain was too sleepy for the concentration of tt or hill training on the roady, my head said a big fat no to running*, but it was gorgeous out. What to do?

I dragged the turbo outside and did an hour aero position in the sunshine, gradually increasing effort and resistance. Ended up dripping sweat in my eyes but that could have just been the weather and not the work level. :)

Finished with a 3 min plank afterwards. Wanted to do longer but I think my creaky muscles need to build to that.

*in the winter I had days where the thought of running made me feel sick but I ran anyway. I'm not making that mistake again. Sometimes body/mind knows best.

Advertisement