Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Good Mood Cookbook

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

What time do you get up?! I usually check in on boards while eating my breakfast and you already have your sessions done and dusted!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Solobally8 wrote: »
    What time do you get up?! I usually check in on boards while eating my breakfast and you already have your sessions done and dusted!

I was going to ask the same question. At 8.25, I'm usually in the shower and racing around getting ready for work after a session.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Well, today it was 6am. Yesterday it was 5.30. I like to get something to eat (porridge) before I start, and today especially, I had to wake up first.. it took a while! I posted today while eating my second breakfast (boiled eggs). I do like getting up early. Sure it means I can feel self righteous for the rest of the day! ;)

Yes, I was up early again. 5.45 today. I had to get at least a 2 hour run in, AND hookup with my running buddies halfway round, AND still be back by 8.15. Out the door at 6.10, ran for an hour on hilly roads, then met up with the crazy crew and took to the trails. Dry trails supposedly. So why did I end up ankle deep in mud, huh? In flipping road shoes, too. Followed a trail around the mountain that ended (we thought) at a bank of trees. But no.... we were going through the trees and up an steep wooded embankment that got steeper the higher you went till it was a struggle to make any kind of run like motion at all, it was closer to climbing. We looped that twice, and both times at the top of that climb I thought I was going to be sick. Held on to my brekkie though, and did a nice recovery trot to home afterwards, landing at my front door at 8.16. Nicely timed. Just over 20k, which I would liked to have been longer, but a good test of the legs in any case.

Today scores 458. I was so tired before I started I did well to not fall into my cornflakes. But felt grand afterwards.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Are you still aiming for a big race or something? :)

• Advertisement

Are you still aiming for a big race or something? :)
    Well seeing as I'm going to long course weekend i want to give myself the option of ay least having a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

I hope you weren't wearing your lobster shoes in that mud!!! :eek:

Dory Dory wrote: »
    I hope you weren't wearing your lobster shoes in that mud!!! :eek:

Good god no! Kept the lobsters safe and dry at home.

Tho... if i wreck the lobsters, id have to get a new pair.....

I am tired.

Today was long bike day, and the first one where beastie came too. I also had Mr Stark and the real life beast for company, both tt'd up as well. Meetup at 7am, the first few hours were cruising, letting the boys chat while getting a sneaky tow behind them. Then the longest breakfast/coffee stop in the history of long rides, and the beast headed for the rest of his ten hour ride, and we headed home.

Thus began the purgatory. Headwind all the way. Even down on the bars, this was hard. But I was very glad to tuck down out of it a bit. But the chat between the more hardworking bits got us by. In the end, I even made a 10k detour on the promise of a bottle of club orange and a bag of tayto. Basic, but effective when youre starving.

Because this was my longest ride on this bike by the end my shoulders and neck ached but otherwise I was pretty comfy. Its a good auld bus. 123.5k in just under 5 hrs

Had a lie in today. Till 7.45 woop! :) After the school run, headed to the beach to meet some pals for an ow swim. Kona queen was up for 3.8k... I wasnt. But I got in and said I would see how far I felt like. At first it felt slow and tough, but once I had 1500 done I thought sure lets keep going and see. Id found a nice rhythm even against the chop. I was cold at 3k, but had 500m to swim back anyway, so I pushed on and did the extra bit after that. In for a penny, in for a pound. Very happy to complete 3.9k in 90 mins - I felt like it was an easy pace and we stopped at each turnabout to check on each other. Im glad the kona queen was there or I never would have done it!

• Advertisement

Hmmm....you're training like someone who might be doing this in 11 days! :eek:;):)

http://longcourseweekend.com

(you nutter!!!)

Kettlebells tonight. Light enough really because there was a new student and myself and the only other old timer are really only starting back. But then of course I had to have a play on the climbing walls, and the monkey bars... and do pullups... so my arms are shaky tired now. :)

Rest day tomorrow though. See? Still relatively sensible :)

Forgot to score swim... edited...

So, rest day yesterday. More for a mental rather than physical break; I still had to run about like a mad thing catching up on all the stuff I dont do when training :)

Today is Wednesday, run day, but it took a few stabs at the snooze button before I could drag myself from the pit of sleep. Eventually set out into a day the phrase 'soft day thank god' was invented for. Misty, cool, calm - like the weather had a hangover from making all that sun. My legs were filled with lead, or gravity had increased slightly since I last ran. I dunno. But all normal for a post rest day. After 15 mins of trying to shake them to life, I started into minute on, minute off intervals. No strict times to hit, just steady/easy. These were good, but I still feel like I'm fitted with a restrictor that prevents me going hard - one of the lingering after effects that I'm hoping will ease away in time.

6.8k 38 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Oryx wrote: »
    Eventually set out into a day the phrase 'soft day thank god' was invented for. Misty, cool, calm - like the weather had a hangover from making all that sun.

Class metaphor :)

Let's see if I am half as poetic this evening.

Wednesday is club swim day. Met a varied assortment of old and new club heads at the beach, and we took the plunge into unpleasantly dirty water. Full of mushed up seaweed and cloudy with algae. Ah well. Great practice for irish river swimming! The sea was calm at least, and no jellies. Swam an up and down 2k, and for the first time ever I seemed to swim better with the current. Usually I do better (compared to those around me) when fighting the current. I have no idea how long it took, because a) i forgot to look at the time and b) i didnt stop the watch till i came home, when it read 22k in 2hrs :) Oh well. I stayed at the front end of the group at least. And time is irrelevant, riiight?

Score tonight was 567. Tho just at the point where I was wading in through mush and cold water was seeping up my back, it probably scored in minus numbers :)

An unmotivated day. I make that observation because its a warning sign that something is too much; work/life/training.

This morning I got up to turbo, but did s&c instead. The bike waited (and waited) till 8.30 tonight, when I got on and spun the legs for an hour. I havent done proper turbo in a long time, this was my first baby step back. Next time I will have a set to follow. Not a great hours work but good to get it done and beat the ennui.

If, on Wednesday the weather had a hangover, then today he'd had a fight with his girlfriend. Mist had turned to rain, with a blustery wind. I curled my lip as I looked out the window. Its a long time since I ran in the rain and I'm getting soft.

Of course it wasnt that bad. Just had to wipe my eyes every now and again to see where I was going. :) By the time I got back it had calmed down anyway. Today I ran like a gangly puppy, I seemed to have too-long legs that didn't belong to me, but I got around without tripping over them at least :) Not a great run, but an ok run... moving forward.

11k 1 hr

Oryx wrote: »
    If, on Wednesday the weather had a hangover, then today he'd had a fight with his girlfriend. Mist had turned to rain, with a blustery wind. I curled my lip as I looked out the window. Its a long time since I ran in the rain and I'm getting soft.

Of course it wasnt that bad. Just had to wipe my eyes every now and again to see where I was going. :) By the time I got back it had calmed down anyway. Today I ran like a gangly puppy, I seemed to have too-long legs that didn't belong to me, but I got around without tripping over them at least :) Not a great run, but an ok run... moving forward.

11k 1 hr

:D You made me think of this.....

Yeah. Thats about right :)

I know this is a training log, but I did not train today. Yesterday when I fell asleep in the car on the school run (I was parked!), and last night when I crawled to bed exhausted at 8pm, I realised that perhaps my body is trying to tell me something. And I listened. So when the alarm went off this morning I ignored it. When the second alarm went off I ignored that too. In all I slept solid for 13 hours. :) I missed my group run, one run at this stage wont make next weekend, but it could break it.

This is being logged as part of the whole comeback process. Its important. I saw this coming during the week. Next time Ill catch it before it does this to me. Its a reminder that, as I have been told, Im not out of the woods yet.

Not so tired today and I got out for a cycle. Road bike and tri gear in a dress rehearsal for next week. Joined by a guy I havent ridden with before, he was young and had no concept of easy actually being easy. :) So for me at least it was a little harder than a steady saunter. Just before the point where he was going to head on and do 6 hrs, and I turn back to do 3, his tyre blew out. Properly blew. Big fat hole in it. It took a long wait and a helpful local friend to get him rolling again, and he needed to head back cos we werent sure it would stay up. So no rest on the way back either. But plenty of stops to keep air in the tyre... till it blew again, and a new tube and a rejig of the valve solved the problem.

I ended up at 95k in 3.32. I will definitely try to get out with this chap and his friends in future. Theyll make a cyclist out of me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

Saw the two of you heading back thru Oilgate around noon.

You should choose your company more carefully - Your company today had a blowout the first time I went for a spin with him--- before we even started. Same guy's zip went before the start of Tri Athy double---- and he still went on and finished it!! He doesn't usually do easy. Great company though and the nicest (but maddest) fella you'll ever meet!!

Hopefully going OW with him on Tuesday - better bring a canoe!!

Gonna try and invite myself along with you guys more often. I like the mad and I need the not easy :)

Sea swim this morning. Short and sweet. 1k, in, out, done. Water was refreshing but not chilly. I floated on my back for a bit before I got out because it was just nice being out there. Summer is GREAT.

Energy is still a little low today, so thats all for the day.

Had a foul few days, with lead legs and sleeping sickness, and a bad attitude to boot. But that cloud seems to be lifting now, just in time for the weekend.

Ran this morning. It was hot. Damn hot. Made me hear Robin Williams in my head
    Damn hot! Real hot! Hottest things is my shorts. I could cook things in it. A little crotch pot cooking." Well, can you tell me what it feels like. "Fool, it's hot! I told you again! Were you born on the sun? It's damn hot! I saw - It's so damn hot, I saw little guys, their orange robes burst into flames.
    (I love this weather. Even if its going to be interesting to spend all weekend sweating in it. I bought hi5 just in case.)

So, yeah, I ran about 7k in umm... 35-40 minutes, I left my watch at home. Halfway round I picked up a birds nest in the road and carefully ran with it all the way home to give it to my daughter. She was meh about it but I tried. Things you do for your kids huh?

Edit: Dilbert, sorry. I am remiss. 668

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Numbers?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Good numbers after a yucky lull.

Have fun this weekend. Mind the body!!! :)

Long course weekend swim done in 1.26. Lost a lot of time on the second lap, bit off course at timesd but cest la vie...

Edit. Reports today that the swim was long had me check my garmin. 4.5k...!

Long course weekend bike done. Very slow... but I was keeping my hr out of the 'lets do flipflops' zone. Clock time including sportive style bacon butty stops roughly 8.30. Ride time 7.54. Ill take that cos I sure wasnt ready for it.

• Advertisement

You are a mad, mad woman. ;)

Advertisement