Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Good Mood Cookbook

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Third and final stage of long course weekend done. A bloody insanely hilly marathon in 4.04. Got my golden 4th medal, happy as a clam. :)

A wonderful weekend. Highly recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Dory Dory wrote: »
    You are a mad, mad woman. ;)

+1 ...... and that was BEFORE the post abut the marathon that was oh so casually thrown in there. Fair play Oryx, you're a machine!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

So. This weekend: The unabridged version.

This was the Wales Long Course Weekend which takes place in Pembrokeshire over 3 days. The swim and bike routes are the same as the Ironman wales course, but the marathon is a single loop out to Pembroke and back, rather than the 4 lap Tenby route of IM. You can enter one event or all, or shorter versions of each. But only Long Course entrants for the whole thing get a few addtional perks they provide.

As I have been to Tenby before, finding my way around was no problem, however we were staying in saundersfoot, and even my gps got confused with the squiggly welsh roads getting there. But get there we did, late on Thursday, which gave us a relaxed day Friday wandering around before the swim at 7pm. We rocked up early to that and watched the brilliant Taff Kids races on the beach while having hot chocolate. A very stress free pre race routine! All of a sudden though, black clad, yellow hatted figures started to dot the beach, till at 6.55pm 1800 of us lined up to start the swim - once the kids had finished the national anthem! The swim start was the usual crash bang wallop, but I settled in to a nice rhythm, trying and failing to catch some steady feet. Those i did catch seemed to sight poorly and i kept letting them go. The swimmers around me were an impolite bunch, pretty violent, in fact, I even had my foot grabbed for leverage at the first buoy. They had given sighting tips which worked like a dream, and I swam a good line for the most part, with just my usual lefty drift to correct for. First lap done in 40 mins, good for me. The swim to the first bouy on the second lap was a strange one. Halfway along the damn thing seemed to be getting further away not closer, and going to my right in spite of constant sighting. It took and eternity to reach it. The rest of the lap was fine, my only issue was the chafing at my neck (never get a stranger to zip you up). In spite of swimming strong, my final time was 1.26. A big drop in the second split. BUT.. the next day all talk was of a long swim, with measures of between 4.2 and 4.5k. Everyones second split was slower, and many felt that first bouy was drifting. I will never know but I'm happier about my time anyway. Medal #1 in the bag.

Saturday was the one with the question mark for me. The Wales Sportive. This had me the most worried, as it was tough, and I didnt know if I was ok for it. Im still watching my hr, keeping it low... the hills here would make that tough, and my longest training ride was 120k. Oh well. Off i went anyway in the 7.15 wave. The roads were open and it was trickier than the IM, dodging busy traffic and other packs of riders. I sat on tails at times, but as with the swimming, the pace was either too fast or two slow, I couldn't find a goldilocks group and for the most part rode alone. There were many crashes, which made us all a bit nervous I think. For me though first 120k was wonderful. Rode easy, stopped at feed stations, ate whole foods, and managed the four 'killer' hills without bother. The second time around the hard loop with those hills, I had made the mistake of eating too many sugary jellies at a feed stop. They caused a spike and a crash, so by 160k I had to stop and hunt down more almond seed bars and munch them to try and get the energy right again. Still got up the hills without stressing the heart, and I felt good at the finish. I had taken my time, with plenty of stops, and my time reflected that. 8h19 on the clock. But Im still pleased. This was controlled. I can actually do controlled :) I had worried I would bail or get swept but neither happened. I got medal #2.

Sunday then, was marathon day. I had 6 hours to complete this, so the stress of it was minimal. Id slept well and though my legs were tired, I felt good. I was excited at the start line. :) Again, the plan was to run conservatively, and mind my body. So the first few miles were a really easy trot. In fact I walked the first 'ohmygoodjesusthisissteep' hill along with half of those around me. There were 73 hills on the bike route, and I think they gathered up all the leftovers and used them for the marathon. I have never run a race anywhere with hills so plentiful or steep. In fact, at one point I looked up ahead on a hill and not one of the fifty or so people ahead of me were running. All were walking.. no, slogging, uphill.

At 6k I ran with a guy and chatted for a while, he was hoping to catch his brother starting the half mara in Pembroke, so his pace was higher than I had been running. I had been looking at a 4.20 finish, but the faster pace was not so bad. Even though I did let him off eventually, I kept my eye on the clock from then on, and slowly whittled down the finish eta. I absolutely loved the first half of this though. The moderate start meant I had warmed into it, and I was feeling good hitting halfway at two hours. The second half was tougher though, with more stinky hills, and my lack of long training was catching up. By mile 17 I was tired and by mile 23 I was having to get my serious race head on and just grind it out. The final hill into Tenby I wasnt sure whether to puke or lie down. But neither happened and I got my red carpet ride down the main street with a big stupid grin and a ton of high fives, in 4.04 finish time. Long Course done... and a monkey off my back. I can still do this. Medal #3 was mine.

The award ceremony afterwards of the 4th medal for all Long Course finishers was very special, making superstars out of the lot of us for that few moments. I loved it. They really know how to make you feel special. I will treasure all four medals. They may not be Bolton, but maybe theyre better!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

That was brilliant. Well done Kate :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

Brilliant achievement considering what you've been through!

How many marathons or longer is that now without any proper long runs?

Seriously though, I've seen both the Long Course Weekend and Ironman Wales on TV and they both look like superb events with lovely scenery and great crowds over a proper tough course. Almost makes me want to learn to swim, almost.

I was doing proper run training up to March. I do take this seriously sometimes. :) That was my 4th standalone marathon, and by far the most scenic. And I have learned that size... I mean volume isnt everything. :)

Ps pointer. Learn to feckin swim!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

Just got me thinking, wouldn't it be great to organise a TDAR long course weekend before Challenge Galway next year, somewhere like Killarney would be perfect. Swim Fri evening, cycle the Ring on Saturday and a long run in the Park on Sunday. Could be done cheap and dirty too with camping and a BBQ.

Anyway, sorry for derailing your log. Maybe something I should start a separate thread on.

Brilliant idea. Go make that thread!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

i'm laughing at what your idea of taking it easy is.

fair play oryx. glad to see you still doing nuts things:)

• Advertisement

mossym wrote: »
    i'm laughing at what your idea of taking it easy is.

fair play oryx. glad to see you still doing nuts things:)
    Ran for a bit with a guy from Kilkenny yesterday who thought it was funny too. But I hang out with loonies who are even worse. One of the guys on the weekend with me did it off about 3 ow swims, and 5 bike rides max 50 miles. No real run training. And he aced it. I think he is a mutant tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Oryx, you're awesome, albeit in a slightly nuts, slightly intimidating way.

After 3 days of nothing but compression sleeves and stretching, I got back into a bit of training again today. This morning was a 20 minute run to see what my legs feel like (pretty sprightly actually) and tonight I led a turbo session for a few friends who are starting to train for a multisport race in October. Again, my legs felt surprisingly good. I think that now I'm finally coming out of this phase of ill health, it feels weird not to be tired, Id got so used to being exhausted all the time. The LCW doesn't seem to have taken much out of me, and thats a real novelty, having spent 6 months utterly wrecked every time I worked hard. Of course, I'm still cautious. The week after a race you can still be on the post race bounce.

Now, when I got back, the first thing that happened was an offer of a place in IM Wales (legit) and tho my head (and wallet) knows better, my heart still wants to do it. I think Im writing it here so I can see how stupid it sounds when I read it back. So I have two days to either find €600 or talk myself out of it. Irrational and impulsive, me? :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

for which year?
    this year? Crazy

next year? why not

take into account i've not done an IM when weighing up how useful my opinion is

mossym wrote: »
    for which year?
    this year? Crazy

next year? why not

take into account i've not done an IM when weighing up how useful my opinion is

Yes this year. Yes, crazy. Which is why I wrote about it. So other people would hopefully remind me its crazy.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Hmmm...

Hmmm...

You sound like my mother.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

Ok, this is coming from someone who doesn't have your training ethic and who has a very relaxed approach to IM.

If, and only if, you are healthy enough to consider this, why do it? Fun? For the craic? For a day out? If one of these then do it.

To redeem your season? To race it? To make a point? Don't do it.

My 2c, take it with a pinch of salt. Whatever you do, look after yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

griffin100 wrote: »
    Ok, this is coming from someone who doesn't have your training ethic and who has a very relaxed approach to IM.

If, and only if, you are healthy enough to consider this, why do it? Fun? For the craic? For a day out? If one of these then do it.

To redeem your season? To race it? To make a point? Don't do it.

My 2c, take it with a pinch of salt. Whatever you do, look after yourself.

+1 (I'm starting to appreciate how wise griffin is!)

After this past weekend's brilliantly successful (and impressively disciplined) trifecta, you've proven to me that you not only can go the distance, but you can do it while minding your body. And it's obvious how much you enjoy participating in this long stuff. I say go for it if you are doing it for the right reasons, if you can continue to listen to your body, and if it brings you joy. As my mom would say about life, "this ain't no dress rehearsal!"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

+1 (I'm starting to appreciate how wise griffin is!)

After this past weekend's brilliantly successful (and impressively disciplined) trifecta, you've proven to me that you not only can go the distance, but you can do it while minding your body. And it's obvious how much you enjoy participating in this long stuff. I say go for it if you are doing it for the right reasons, if you can continue to listen to your body, and if it brings you joy. As my mom would say about life, "this ain't no dress rehearsal!"

Wise?? Hhmm, if you knew I was contemplating another IM off 7 weeks training not having sat on a bike since last August and having suffered a serious shoulder injury training for a 10km swim 'wise' wouldn't be the word that you'd use..........but like your mum said (sort of) - live is for living!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

My 2c worth:

The main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing.

If IM Wales 2015 is your main thing, go for it. You know where you're coming from and will hopefully judge the outcome against that.

If recovering fully and being ready for really racing a specific event in 2016 is your main thing, then listen to your head.

But only you know how you feel, how hard you can push yourself, what performance level you'd be happy with and whether you're willing to push yourself enough to reach it.

All that discouragement aside, if anyone can do it you can.

Oryx wrote: »
    You sound like my mother.

If I say anything it'd be do as I say, not as I do kind of advice. :)

Griffin, we are kindred spirits. Bits falling off, we keep going like that monty python knight... 'tis a mere nick!'

Tbh the biggest issue is lashing out my kids school book funds on a pretty pointless jaunt. The time would not be brilliant and the one thing I dont want is to be back in that physical hole again. Id be better off spending the kids money on powertap pedals, right? :)

Griffin, we are kindred spirits. Bits falling off, we keep going like that monty python knight... 'tis a mere nick!'

Tbh the biggest issue is lashing out my kids school book funds on a pretty pointless jaunt. The time would not be brilliant and the one thing I dont want is to be back in that physical hole again. Id be better off spending the kids money on powertap pedals, right? :)

or a fancy turbo trainer...or a fancy schmancy wetsuit...who needs schoolbooks sure, didn't our parents go to school with an abacus and a chalkboard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Enjoy the summer with the kids without an IM hanging over you, use that €600 and sign up to IM Copenhagen next year:)....sure BTH is on a recruitment drive for that race.

Solid winters training and be in great shape for next year.

Enjoy the summer with the kids without an IM hanging over you, use that €600 and sign up to IM Copenhagen next year:)....sure BTH is on a recruitment drive for that race.

Solid winters training and be in great shape for next year.
    Tbh, I am already thinking like that. If I was going to do Wales Id probably say nothing, and keep my head down because I know it is a daft idea on so many levels. Reality is I dont think I have it in me to do the 10 weeks of the required training, it would just set me back. Not doing Copenhagen though, I'm already signed up for my 'A' next year. ;)

I have a few little things to see out the year, shorter stuff. See if I can sharpen up a bit for that, instead.

DCM?

DCM?
    Im supposed to do Clonakilty, if my friend I agreed to train with hasnt bailed out. If she does, Ill do DCM. Coming?

Im supposed to do Clonakilty, if my friend I agreed to train with hasnt bailed out. If she does, Ill do DCM. Coming?

Afraid I'll have to pass this year as I'll be hobbling around from my IM at that time. But if you do do DCM, no peeing behind the loos without me!!! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Shell to Run

Firstly, I have no doubt you would complete IMW.
    But why would you even consider entering Wales? You are on the road to recovery and getting stronger. Why would you risk that?
    I say enjoy the summer, get stronger and do not get sucked into the obsessive addiction to continuously enter events.
    You have nothing to prove to anyone.

Advertisement