Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC late payment fee

Options
  • 27-03-2013 5:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭

Im a landlord and have the bills for all but one house in my name as UPC won't let me put it into the tenants name. They also send the letters to the tenants house. I realised today they stick on a €12,50 late payment fee despite the fact they only text me once about the bills every month and never call me about them being late.

I complained to the manager andI was told everyone gets the late payment fee so live with even they never told me about it ( in a welcome pack i never seen)and it's not on any of the bills. I have filled a complaint with them as they have always waivered connection fees. Has anyone every talk them out of this fee before?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

What?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Twoandahalfmen

What?

Pay them the bill minus the 12.50

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

(I'm assuming here that you have the standard residential contracts.)

I guess the reason your bills are going to your properties is because of this clause
    5.7 You warrant that you are the current occupier of the Address, and are either the
    freeholder of the Address or a tenant of the premises under a lease of 12 months or
    more; and that you are over 18 years of age and legally entitled to sign a contract.
    They probably won't allow you put the contracts in the tenant's names because only the tenants themselves can do that, you can't enter someone else into a contract.

What do your contracts say on late payments? , the standard T&C's clearly state that late payment fees are a possibility:
    http://www.upc.ie/termsandconditions/
    6.2 Late Fees: If you do not make your payments on time we may withdraw any
    discount we may have given to you for payment in advance or for any other reason and
    we may also charge you a Late Fee as per the Price List.

I can't see why UPC should have to remind you once they've issued the bill. The automated text is just something they do to let people know a bill has been issued but they're not obliged to send it or more texts or to call you about late payments. If you can't get UPC to send the bills to your home address then you'll just have to ensure your bills are collected* on time.

You could threaten to cancel all services which might get you some flexibility.

*If you register with their "My UPC" service you can check your bills online yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Get your tenants to set up an account. I rent an apartment and have a UPC account in my own name and pay by DD. Never any issue setting up this account either, no deposit required.

Ken

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Just because its your property doesn't mean the service has to be in your name.

Let the tenents setup their own account and manage payments themselves

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

or set up a direct debit.

Advertisement