Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small bore Pistol Disciplines.

Options
  • 27-03-2013 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭

Hey all, is there any comps, in small bore pistol shooting that you don't have to use a holster?? I.e it would be on the range table in front of you before and after the shoot.?
    New to Pistol shooting Disciplines, any help greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

Steve012 wrote: »
    Hey all, is there any comps, in small bore pistol shooting that you don't have to use a holster?? I.e it would be on the range table in front of you before and after the shoot.?

From what I hear holsters will not be allowed on ranges anymore,it will be in the box on front of you,you fire put pistol in box and you go up and check target

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

From what I hear holsters will not be allowed on ranges anymore,it will be in the box on front of you,you fire put pistol in box and you go up and check target

Where did you hear that holsters aren't going to be allowed? Sounds incorrect to me.

To answer the question, the only event that you must have a holster for is the GP40. All other events don't require one, tables are fine. So if you have no holster, only one event is off limits.

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭knockon

Would you have a source for that info?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Steve012 wrote: »

All of the ISSF disciplines are shot that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Where did you hear that holsters aren't going to be allowed? Sounds incorrect to me.

Sounds like more BS from on high!!!
    Proably started as there were two CS down at Midlands to view a 1500 match last weekend...Which of course we all know they disapprove of as it is "combat training":rolleyes:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Roundpack

BattleCorp wrote: »
    To answer the question, the only event that you must have a holster for is the GP40. All other events don't require one, tables are fine. So if you have no holster, only one event is off limits.

Not strictly true, a holster is a safe holding device and many ranges insist on their use. Not all ranges have tables etc available. Most ranges require participants to go forward of the firing line (once cleared by the RO)to score and change targets, leaving 10 or 12 firearms lying on a table 25mtrs behind me doesnt sound like best practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

Roundpack wrote: »
    Not strictly true, a holster is a safe holding device and many ranges insist on their use. Not all ranges have tables etc available. Most ranges require participants to go forward of the firing line (once cleared by the RO)to score and change targets, leaving 10 or 12 firearms lying on a table 25mtrs behind me doesnt sound like best practice.

I know it does not sound right, but sounding right does not come into the GS equation. Just wait and see.

Where did you hear this Deer hunter?? :confused:
    Think a lot of us would appreciate to know where, and from whom this is coming from.As it is difficult enough to try and keep handgun shooting going here,it would benefit us all to know whether this is a verifiable threat or just somone putting out noise makers to freak people.Better that we know its on the radar and can ID it and possibly counter this rather than be chasing ghosts.:)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

Roundpack wrote: »

Normally in instances like that - they're put into the gun box (after being cleared) on the table and closed and a RO is left at the line with the closed boxes in sight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Sounds like more BS from on high!!!
    Proably started as there were two CS down at Midlands to view a 1500 match last weekend...Which of course we all know they disapprove of as it is "combat training":rolleyes:

a 1500 in the midlands range? sb or cf?

i didnt think they shot gallery rifle in the midlands?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    a 1500 in the midlands range? sb or cf?
    i didnt think they shot gallery rifle in the midlands?
    I somehow have a serious amount of doubt that the midlands were hosting a 1500 match...

Wouldnt have been a full 1500 match,as the range is too short.Given.And my apologies ,I have this nasty habit of using "1500" as a generic description for PPC.[slapping himself on head!:o]
    However,it does seem to be that there was some top brass of the GS there last Saturday at the pistol range.
    As I wasnt there last Sat ,I cant confirm or deny it,however I was informed of the intended visit a week before by another member and poster here.

I am ASSuming that this has somthing to do with the thing Deer hunter has heard,but since we dont have anything to corrobrate it with any further info.
    It could be a case of a mouse growing into an elephant.Or no smoke without fire.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

In relation to the WA1500 match, supposedly held at the midlands, i can confirm that any rumour or speculation as to what it was is just that. Rumour and speculation.

It was a scheduled “Bullseye 360” pistol competition, and was held there on Saturday 23rd March 2013. They have a full calendar of competitions for pistol made out up to November of this year. Their pistol discipline is conducted without the use of holsters because some of their members don’t have them, plain & simple.

Secondly, the Chief Super, of a certain area, requested to view one of their competitions in order to make his own informed response to the applications made by 2 of their members.

This was not a demonstration put on for the Gardai, it was one of their scheduled competitions as mentioned above.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

LB6 wrote: »
    Normally in instances like that - they're put into the gun box (after being cleared) on the table and closed and a RO is left at the line with the closed boxes in sight.

^^^^^^^^^
    Correct.

The RO wouldn't let you just leave the pistol out on the table, it has to be in the box. It's the same with rifles, they have to be cased or put into a rifle slip when people are going forward to score/change targets.

Holsters are very handy though, and perfectly safe when used properly. I can't see a reason why they would be banned.

Advertisement