Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long do foot tattoos last?

Options
  • 27-03-2013 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

I know that tattoos last forever but I heard that foot tattoos can often fade or blur after a while. I'm strongly considering getting a tattoo on either the side of my foot or on the top infront of the toes. Nothing too elaborate, just a few words in elvish in black ink. Does anybody know how long a tattoo on either of those spots would last before I need a touch up? Or would I need a touch up at all if its just black ink? And how would they look after a few years? I'm just worried that I'll get it done and then a few months later it will blur or the ink will fade and it will look awful or that I'll need to get it touched up every year or two. If anybody with foot tattoos could help me out I'd really appreciate it thanks :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

It wouldn't be a few months anyway. All tattoos fade and blur slightly as the lines bleed, so long as the font isn't too small it'll be fine. Depends which part of the foot exactly as well, closer to the toes will get less rubbing on your shoe (probably).

I don't think feet tattoos actually blur and fade much worse than tattoos anywhere else over time, it's just that they're difficult to heal properly cause you're wearing socks and shoes during the entire healing process, which can be pretty detrimental. If I was getting my foot tattooed I'd be sure to check with the artist that I can get a touch up a few weeks later anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Chris 80

I got a foot tattoo on my left foot ten years ago, and I have to say it hasn't faded anymore than the one on my stomach. However, the one I have on my shin seems to have retained the ink a bit better. I'm thinking of getting the one on my foot topped up soon. The outline is clear, but the colouring has diminshed somewhat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

The skin on the side of your foot isn't great to tattoo, and because it's constantly rubbing off something, it will fade faster than other places, but it wouldn't be a matter of months, you'd be more talking years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

I have a tattoo from the top of my calf, around my ankle, onto the front (top?) of my foot. I got it 7-8 years ago and it's actually still really crisp and clear.
    re the healing process, I did something different than with my other tattoos, and I suppose it's a bit controversial! :P Everyone has their opinions on healing tats...
    With my foot tattoo I would wrap it in cling film when I was goin outside for the first week or so, and I just wore flip flops so there was no added pressure of shoes and socks. At home I left the cling film off and let it breathe. Normally I wouldn't leave clingfilm after the first few hours, but I was slightly more concerned about germs due to the proximity to the ground :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

Yeah, the tattoo's on top of both my feet are still as clear today as the day I got them done. But again, the skin on top of your foot is different to the skin on the side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 Pande_monium

Thanks for your replies everyone, they've helped alot :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Hi guys,

I didn't want to start a new thread so I hope that I'm ok to post in here?
    I've been thinking about getting a tattoo on the inside of my left foot and I'm just looking for some advice on them. I already have one on my wrist that is about three years old now.
    Is it totally verboten to wear shoes after getting one done and what other aftercare is needed? Are they much different to other tattoos?
    I don't mind a bit of pain if needed.

I'm hoping to get this design:
    BGFc3dpCAAA9TIH.jpg:large

in this position:
    0807002332_large.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

You'll probably have to wear fairly open shoes, like ballerina flats, to let the tattoo get the air and heal without the shoe rubbing off of it too much. Possibly wrap it for a few hours a day when you have shoes on (you shouldn't generally wrap your tattoos after the first day). Healing can be tough because of shoes rubbing, but shouldn't be more difficult than any tattoo that has clothes on top of it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

That location is quite low to the base of the foot, so the chances of the ink holding over time would be dramatically lower than if it were done a little higher on the foot. Any good tattoo artist will be able to warn you of this and position the tattoo accordingly.

I've just seen this thread, wish I'd seen it earlier!

I've got an appointment with Filip in Skin City later today. I've just been in there and told not get it done on the lower inside of my food because it will fade within months. I'm now eating lunch and trying to decide where to put it instead :(

• Advertisement

If you could get them to raise it up a little till they'd be happy that it'd last, then that might work (so long as you're happy with that location!)

If you could get them to raise it up a little till they'd be happy that it'd last, then that might work (so long as you're happy with that location!)

That's exactly what I did :D

Sweet, all done? :)

Yup, pics up in pic thread :)

Advertisement