Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who to contact about licensing a streaming media service?

Options
  • 27-03-2013 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭
    EMar Sounds

Can anyone offer any advice on who to contact about licensing a digital distribution service?
    Our system will mainly distribute online movie rental and streaming services

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

The owners of the digital rights, which you can find out in the credits of movies, back of CD's etc. Companies like Universal, Sony, Fox, etc they all have offices in Dublin, Walt Disney are based on Parliament Street sandwiched between two kebab shops of all things ! I think Sony are out in D4 and not sure about Universal but they'll be about somewhere.

You'd better have a good plan before approaching them cos they are very choosy who they sell to. And you better have deep pockets too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Sounds wrote: »
    Can anyone offer any advice on who to contact about licensing a digital distribution service?
    Our system will mainly distribute online movie rental and streaming services

Thanks

You'll be competing with NetFlix and Sky to name but a few. Why are you even contemplating entering this market? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

RATM wrote: »
    not sure about Universal but they'll be about somewhere.

Funnily enough I have been working just up the street from them for almost two years but only spotted them the other day. They are on the corner at the top of Aungier street beside DIT.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Sounds
    EMar Sounds

Nice one thanks,

I didn't think about that, they have offices in Dublin
    It's just digital distribution project but it's fairly unique in the way the movies are distributed
    And it's the only rental system of its kind as i built it myself, just need to see if i can do it legally.

Hope they don't turn me away i need to start this.

Thanks again

EMar Sounds

I won't be competing with netflix or sky, although there are plenty customers out there, online, for new business
    Netflix rent from a web site where my system won't require a customer to visit a website to rent or watch movies
    All they do really is store their movies online and digitally stream them to their customers, anyone can do that
    The hard part will be getting licensed and financial support coz i can't do it without either

The system has been tested to certain communities online, and lets just say
    If pirates in the same communities are making over 5 grand a month from their movies
    There is plenty room for one legit company to corner this market and probably kill off all piracy
    I think it's a niche waiting to happen, several people agree with me from my past experiments

I just don't see them helping me get started i hope they do because i need to do something off my own back

None of the big names are in these communities and probably not interested in them
    But for me, it's an opportunity to make an income small or large i want to give it a go

I built the system myself so i ccan honestly say there is not another online like it

I wonder if i paid them a visit with some sort of plan would they be more inclined to help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

I won't be competing with netflix or sky, although there are plenty customers out there
    Netflix rent from a web site where my system won't require a customer to visit a website to watch movies.
    All they do really is store their movies online and digitally stream them to their customers, anyone can do that
    The hard part will be getting licensed and financial support coz i can't do it without either

The system has been tested to certain communities online, and lets just say
    If pirates in the same communities are making over 5 grand a month from their movies
    There is plenty room for one legit company to corner this market and probably kill off all piracy
    I think it's a niche waiting to happen, several people agree with me from my past experiments

I just don't see them helping me get started i hope they do because i need to do something off my own back

None of the big names are in these communities and probably not interested in them
    But for me, it's an opportunity to make an income small or large i want to give it a go

I built the system myself so i ccan honestly say there is not another online like it

Hmm. Interesting spin on it. I presume your talking about a cloud or 'torrent' / distributed style system? Would be interested to hear about it. PM if you like.

EMar Sounds

From my experience testing this system, it doesn't need to be cloud based setup, and nothing to do with pirate material (torrents)
    I tested it on a vps which was sufficient, everything can be delivered/streamed from any decent server.
    I don't see why i'd benefit from a cloud setup when i can easily cluster my servers if and when it expands.
    Just need to contact the right people, not sure how i will approach them yet, or if they will be interested.

Money talks but i don't have much finances to back my project.
    Plenty customers out there as i said, my system can offer a unique viewing experience, which if needed can compete with the big names, but no need.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

I won't be competing with netflix or sky, although there are plenty customers out there, online, for new business
    Netflix rent from a web site where my system won't require a customer to visit a website to rent or watch movies

no ya don't

eg :

http://www.apple.com/appletv/whats-on/#netflix

EMar Sounds

They're all websites, my platform is not on a web page unless i build it that way, totally different market i'm after.
    and just encase you didn't know, there's more than one side to the web, most of us are only aware of the www side.
    I can just as easily offer streaming live movie channels, turst me i know what it's capable of, and i want it to grow.

They're all websites

have another look at it

eg

http://www.roku.com/why-its-cool

• Advertisement
    EMar Sounds

It might be more beneficial if you could explain what you're trying to point out.
    I'm here looking for advice and feedback from people who know what they're talking about.
    Maybe someone that is or has been involved in the streaming/media business.
    It's not about me trying to prove i'm better than established companies.
    If i start something it will be as professional as any other business.

They're all websites, my platform is not on a web page.

Those boxes ( or an app for pcs/laptops/tablets/phones) don't present netflix etc as a webpage either

EMar Sounds

Netflix is a website and database that's all, they just made it look like it's the new hip thing,
    Anyone can stream any internet service to a tv set these days if they're built for that.
    But that is not my plan to distribute to tv sets, i think i will discuss this on business forums.
    When i went to enterprise ireland and a few others they were very interested in the idea
    But i just didn't have enough info to go ahead with it, same story on investors forums.
    I know in some cases it's easier to build something that it is to go out and make it a success.
    That's all i'm trying to do.

I could go with what i have right now and easily turn a few grand per month but i don't want a pirate business.

No offense intended.

But that is not my plan to distribute to tv sets,
    Grand - so you were pokin away with sobipro and so on and tested streaming to tablets/phones/pcs

Why are you ruling out TVs btw - you'd be loosing out there ?

The good streaming stuff plays away on your mobile device, then when you arrive home, the tv will just pick up the stream, without having to do something as prehistoric as docking your mobile device

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Netflix is a website and database that's all, they just made it look like it's the new hip thing,

Not quite. There's a massive Content Distribution Network layer involved which is bloody expensive at anything between $0.40 to $0.02 per Gigabyte depending on provider and volume.

EMar Sounds

Hey GCtest where did sobipro come into the conversation lol
    That's a joomla thing, i'm actually working with sobi for another project, just for directory structures.
    What i have could be distributed to tv sets or other, i'm just want to focus on a different niche.
    I don't want to be the biggest i just want to provide to the communities i know already have these services, but only pirated.

Hey Tricky D i tried out my system on a vps and dedicated server, streamed to a lot of users and kept resources to a minimum.
    It was small scale test but i know
    Which bring up the subject of CDN and content distribution management and digital rights.
    I'm sure there's a lot of work involved but netflix started as one person with an idea.

Advertisement