Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Ads from Adtech

Options
  • 27-03-2013 8:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭

Is it possible that this is slowing boards use?

I notice that there is a lot of lag on Boards and this link is "waiting for Adserver Adtech.de" showing at the bottom of the window.

I have noticed it recently on the new times site as well,

or maybe its just my computer?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

I've noticed that too. So much so that I added it to my hosts file to stop it loading at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

Hi,

Adtech has the occasional slow down all right, we're aware of it. The high latency isn't helped by the fact that Boards loads the advertisements synchronously, so they block the rest of the page until they load. We are reviewing the situation and will shortly be changing how we serve ads so that it doesn't impact on page loading times.

Danny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Ando's Saggy Bottom

Is it possible that this is slowing boards use?

I notice that there is a lot of lag on Boards and this link is "waiting for Adserver Adtech.de" showing at the bottom of the window.

I have noticed it recently on the new times site as well,

or maybe its just my computer?
    Happens me too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

This has just started happening with my laptop in the last few days..

Bit of a pain.. :(

Hope it can be sorted soon ... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Ando's Saggy Bottom

Been an ongoing problem for me intermittently for months now. Very annoying.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I'm getting big delays lately with pages that are waiting to load mystatus.skype before the page loads to the correct part...

EnterNow wrote: »
    I'm getting big delays lately with pages that are waiting to load mystatus.skype before the page loads to the correct part...

Same here, it's been like that for ages. Might just remove my Skype name from my profile so I don't contribute to it.

This problem with adtech.adserver.de has gotten worse. Still trying to load an ad after a full minute. In work atm and I've now added adserver.adtech.de to my hosts file here too

avatar.b-static.net is doing the same now - causing 30 sec+ delay in loading pages.

[edit]It appears to be the avatar next to my name in the new skin

252726.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 14,937 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

same here - b-static.net is seriously slowing down the site tonight - this is the sort of thing that encourages people to install Adblock, which I'm sure you don't want.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Boards.ie: Rónán

Adtech is the dated adserver we're currently in the process or swapping out, b-static is the domain Boards serves is static content from. We're currently looking into the issues on avatar.b-static, you'll be able to get updates over in site development. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

professor-farnsworth1.png
    Good news everyone!

We're also sick of AdTech slowing things down and causing interference with menus so the decision was taken to ditch them. We're switching AdTech slots to Google DoubleClick as of 5pm today.

We're hoping that everyone should see less problems with ads as a result.

Cool. I'm still leaving adtech in my hosts file - it's not just boards that has issues with that adserver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

Following on from Dav's post there was a small issue yesterday evening that prevented the roll out of the Google Doubleclick system. This has been resolved and the rollout has been completed - all advertisements on Boards are now served from Google; this should result in much faster load times for pages since ad loading is now asynchronous and no longer blocks the rest of the page. Another side effect of the switch is that advertisements are now (mostly) sandboxed in their own frame and should not appear over menu dropdowns or otherwise interrupt the page.

Thanks for the feedback

Danny

Advertisement