Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet slow on Windows 8...new laptop! Help??

Options
  • 27-03-2013 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I bought a new Samsung i5 NP550P laptop yesterday which has Windows 8.

I've noticed my wi-fi internet connection is really slow with this, even though my old Dell Inspiron connection speed is fine...so im guessing its just a problem with Windows 8.

Can anyone help with this...how can i speed it up??

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 295 ✭✭joetoad

Run speedtest.net and see what speeds your getting, is it downloading automatic updates?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Having the same problem with a windows 8 Dell inspiron 15R, getting 1.26Mbps down from speedtest.net and over 35Mbps down on the phone and a windows 7 machine.

Driving me bananas, have googled and some people say it's powersaving mode, I'm not in powersaving mode though.

Any help much appreciated, I am close to returning the machine to Dell, it's driving me crazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Getting the same results on a wired connection?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Torqay wrote: »
    Getting the same results on a wired connection?

Actually I just plugged in and speedtest.net gives me the same (good) speed as windows 7 and the phone.

So looks like it's something to do with my wifi setup in windows 8?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Disable the power saving mode in the adapter's advanced settings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,307 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

You just got a brand new everything - ergo, don't assume it's the OS causing your problem.

Press Ctrl+Shift+Esc to open your Task Manager, under the performance tab right click inside of the Wifi Graph and view your network details, that will tell you how strong your link is (54Mbps, 80, 290, etc) - that number tends to vary based on Wireless configuration, whether it be location of your PC, strength of the router, constructive and destructive environmental interference, etc. My desktop has a link this morning of 74Mbps, a 6 year old laptop had 290Mbps the other night, farther away from the router. Your link strength and your speeds will also vary with how many devices are on the network and what they are doing, to which I have no less than a dozen and sometimes 2 dozen on at any one time.

You can also go into Device Manager and see what type of adapter you have. For instance some of the newest Sony Vaios, with top of the line Intel Processers, 1080p touchscreens, backlit keyboards and dedicated graphics... have sh*tty 3rd-brand wifi adapters with known issues. New doesn't necessarily equate to flawless.

Advertisement