Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metal Gear Solid V officially announced.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Is that not the exact video, albeit a worse quality one, that was released at the VGAs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Is that not the exact video, albeit a worse quality one, that was released at the VGAs?

Pretty much. I think in the video about the bits where Snake is crawling about is player controlled. Exhilarating stuff, I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Paul1990

Hayter isn't doing Snake's voice?! It's just not Snake then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

Sweet, I just started playing the Metal Gear franchise this year. So far I'v played through MGS1, MGS3 and playing through MGS4 at the moment. I played through about 6 hours of MGS2, but got really frustrated at a section so I decided to leave it and come back.

Eh, anyway, yay more MGS!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

Paul1990 wrote: »

don't understand why hes not involved in this, wont be the same snake even though its big boss

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,961 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I don't mind that Hayter isn't doing the voice. It's Big Boss, not Snake. While Hayter voiced the young Big Boss in MGS3, they used a different VA for Big Boss in MGS4, so a new VA for the period in between doesn't bother me too much, and kinda makes sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Wow that was awful,

Could be an intro for any run of the mill game, Kane and Lynch 3 even. Pretty bad standard for Konami.

What is it about ? when is it set ? is it Snake ?
    All it needs is for the other guy to unmask and be....Jack Bauer !

I like Kiefer, he does decent voice overs.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Paul1990 wrote: »

Very disappointing this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,214 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Penn wrote: »
    I don't mind that Hayter isn't doing the voice. It's Big Boss, not Snake. While Hayter voiced the young Big Boss in MGS3, they used a different VA for Big Boss in MGS4, so a new VA for the period in between doesn't bother me too much, and kinda makes sense.

He voiced him in Peace Walker too so it'll be a noticeable difference. That said I don't really mind as much as if it were Solid Snake being changed..even though they're essentially the same character..SS is a bit more sacred to me:pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Nanomachines did it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Nanomachines did it

He's also his own great grandmother

IVroGDT.png

Could they all be trolling us? Thinking back to MGS2, the whole Raiden thing was basically a secret until launch. Maybe that's Big Boss in the trailer but Snake is going to appear somewhere?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

tonydude wrote: »
    don't understand why hes not involved in this, wont be the same snake even though its big boss

To be fair, it's not like he's sitting around doing nothing. He's a pretty busy guy, and I'd imagine he's got bigger fish to fry. Last I spoke to him he was writing a TV show

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

COYVB wrote: »
    To be fair, it's not like he's sitting around doing nothing. He's a pretty busy guy, and I'd imagine he's got bigger fish to fry. Last I spoke to him he was writing a TV show

Still though I find it hard to believe he has better things to be doing than Keifer Sutherland :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Penn wrote: »
    Makes sense. Especially with the 9yrs of passing ...the voice would change a little over time. Perhaps we'll also see a young Solid Snake (Hayter) cameo at some point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

I'm surprised at Hayter's bitterness there. It makes perfect sense for him not to voice Big Boss again. They have to eventually justify the fact that they hired a different guy to voice him in MGS4. Otherwise we'd end up with a situation in a future MGS with Hayter talking to himself. It's pretty clear that Solid Snake isn't gone from this series. Maybe we'll see him again in a Metal Gear re-imagining. Those games don't really fit in too well with the MGS ones. MGS1 already had to retcon a load of stuff that wasn't in the old games, like Big Boss telling Snake he is his father.

Sweet, I just started playing the Metal Gear franchise this year. So far I'v played through MGS1, MGS3 and playing through MGS4 at the moment. I played through about 6 hours of MGS2, but got really frustrated at a section so I decided to leave it and come back.

Eh, anyway, yay more MGS!

You really shouldn't go into MGS4 without finishing 2. 4 is complete jibberydook as it is. Without 2 it's complete nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Burky126

I'm not really too bothered with the voice change for MGSV,I think the main concern is that MGS can work as an open world game rather than the linear style of stealth gameplay that we are all familiar with.

At least they have Richard Doyle on board which is a logical choice and is a bit refreshing in my mind.Also it's been heavily speculated that there could be a chance that Solid Snake might make an appearence at some point within the frame of the timeline so that should appease some people...

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/345106/metal-gear-solid-5-whats-next-for-metal-gear/

Also there's this to consider...

http://metalgearsolid.nl/?p=4571
    Kojima said he believes story telling through cinematics has become a bit outdated, and therefore he used a new method of story telling for Ground Zeroes.

I would trust Kojima to do something really innovative tbh, though I have no idea how MGS is going to work in an open world.

snausages wrote: »
    You really shouldn't go into MGS4 without finishing 2. 4 is complete jibberydook as it is. Without 2 it's complete nonsense.

Yeah you might be right, think I'l head home tonight and get stuck back into 2 again. Where I was stuck was, on the Fatman boss fight. I couldnt figure out why my coolant spray wouldnt work properly. I would push the action button, and Raiden would move the coolant bottle forward, but the spray would only splutter intermittently.
    A quick google reveals thats the PS3 has these very silly pressure sensitive buttons that I never knew about. So I needed to press down harder to activate the spray. As you can imagine it was with infinite frustration that I defused the four previous bombs.
    When I couldnt figure that out at the time, I gave up and played through MGS3 instead.
    So, I'm just up to the part in MGS4 where Raiden has made first contact with you through codec. And I'm thinking, seeing as I have no clue as to his story line in MGS2, it's the right time now to go and finish it off.

Its not like theres any rush anyways, we wont be seeing MGS5 until at least Christmas 2014! (my prediction)

sorry for rambling lol

• Advertisement

Yeah you might be right, think I'l head home tonight and get stuck back into 2 again. Where I was stuck was, on the Fatman boss fight. I couldnt figure out why my coolant spray wouldnt work properly. I would push the action button, and Raiden would move the coolant bottle forward, but the spray would only splutter intermittently.
    A quick google reveals thats the PS3 has these very silly pressure sensitive buttons that I never knew about. So I needed to press down harder to activate the spray. As you can imagine it was with infinite frustration that I defused the four previous bombs.
    When I couldnt figure that out at the time, I gave up and played through MGS3 instead.
    So, I'm just up to the part in MGS4 where Raiden has made first contact with you through codec. And I'm thinking, seeing as I have no clue as to his story line in MGS2, it's the right time now to go and finish it off.

Its not like theres any rush anyways, we wont be seeing MGS5 until at least Christmas 2014! (my prediction)

sorry for rambling lol

Yeah, that's not too far in MGS4 anyway. All the crazy stuff doesn't happen until Act 3 so I don't think you'll have completely spoiled your experience of that game. Though most fans would agree that 4 is the weakest it's an incredible experience the first time through when you have the history of the series fresh in your mind

Yeah, that's not too far in MGS4 anyway. All the crazy stuff doesn't happen until Act 3 so I don't think you'll have completely spoiled your experience of that game. Though most fans would agree that 4 is the weakest it's an incredible experience the first time through when you have the history of the series fresh in your mind

Well, I dont expect it to surpass MGS3 anyways! I picked up MGS4 second hand for €15 so not much to lose either way.

David Hayter on twitter.
    Just to be clear,

If you signed a petition to bring back Richard Doyle, you'd be dead to me.

DH

Goddammit Snake get a grip

• Registered Users Posts: 6,425 ✭✭✭weemcd

David Hayter on twitter.

Goddammit Snake get a grip

Hayter's gon hate...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

http://uk.gamespot.com/events/gdc-2013/story.html?sid=6406157
    "Ground Zeroes and The Phantom Pain are two separate games," a Konami representative told GameSpot today.

"Ground Zeroes will actually be a prologue to The Phantom Pain, and that's all we can share at this time."

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain is confirmed for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, though platforms for Ground Zeroes have not been specified. It is also unclear if both games will be bundled in the same package or offered as two different releases. Release dates also have not been divulged.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I actually can't believe they are 2 separate games.

It usually takes 5 or 6 years to get 1 MGS game, never mind 2 :p

I too call bullcrap on them being seperate games :p

Seperate games sounds like a modern take on Metal Gear Solid 2's structure - In the sense you had the 'Tanker' chapter then the 'Big Shell' ... But that was 2001 and these days you got DLC (etc). My money is on either:

- Ground Zeros is a DLC prologue released before The Phantom Pain hits stores (aka, a paid for demo. Capcom broke ground with its 'Dead Rising 2 case 0' paid demo)

or

- The above aswell, but before hand Ground Zeros is bundled with another konami game they wish to give the push for.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Seperate games sounds like a modern take on Metal Gear Solid 2's structure - In the sense you had the 'Tanker' chapter then the 'Big Shell' ...

This is exactly what I initially thought. The same with MGS3 too, where you start on the virtuous mission and then play the main game in Snake Eater.

tok9 wrote: »
    This is exactly what I initially thought. The same with MGS3 too, where you start on the virtuous mission and then play the main game in Snake Eater.

I totally forgot about the 'Virtuous Mission' of MGS3!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,711 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

danthefan wrote: »
    IVroGDT.png

Could they all be trolling us? Thinking back to MGS2, the whole Raiden thing was basically a secret until launch. Maybe that's Big Boss in the trailer but Snake is going to appear somewhere?
    I bet it's just Konami being Konami, about to ruin something great.

Again.

Advertisement