Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metal Gear Solid V officially announced.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

The dude on the horse is Ocelot, right? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Burky126

The dude on the horse is Ocelot, right? ;)

Patric Zimmerman or Josh Keaton?

They better do the right thing or else I will boycott,this is sooooooooooooo important. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

A while back Kojima was talking about the possibility of releasing 'pilot episodes' of next gen games to test the waters before totally committing to a project. Ground Zeroes seems to be his way of testing that idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

snausages wrote: »
    A while back Kojima was talking about the possibility of releasing 'pilot episodes' of next gen games to test the waters before totally committing to a project. Ground Zeroes seems to be his way of testing that idea.

Well, it's Metal Gear, it's going to sell by the bucketload on the back of its name alone. I don't really think it needs to be tested itself and because of that you wouldn't really gather much information that's relevant to say a new IP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

I have to say this is one of my main reasons for being hesitent on picking up a ps4. When looking at console exclusives (xbox Vs PS) and more specifically at MGS vS splinter cell I have to say Im totally uninterested in MGS on a whole as opposed to splinter cell?

Its just too Eastern by which I mean bat **** crazy.
    I'd like a tactical shooter to be serious and perhaps not invaded by massivley over dramatic pauses / dialog, villans pulled straight from sat moning cartoon shows, explosion whales???? and massivley over engineered story lines.

I'd love to be excited by it I really would I mean the Fox engine looks stunning but this needs to be handed over to a Western dev.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,711 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

hightower1 wrote: »
    I have to say this is one of my main reasons for being hesitent on picking up a ps4. When looking at console exclusives (xbox Vs PS) and more specifically at MGS vS splinter cell I have to say Im totally uninterested in MGS on a whole as opposed to splinter cell?

Its just too Eastern by which I mean bat **** crazy.
    I'd like a tactical shooter to be serious and perhaps not invaded by massivley over dramatic pauses / dialog, villans pulled straight from sat moning cartoon shows, explosion whales???? and massivley over engineered story lines.

I'd love to be excited by it I really would I mean the Fox engine looks stunning but this needs to be handed over to a Western dev.
    But "realism" is boring.

I like having silly cartoon villains.
    I love hammy acting.
    I adore being able to mess around, and to feel like the developers do too.

I prefer my video games to be more "game" than "video".

hightower1 wrote: »
    but this needs to be handed over to a Western dev.

No it doesn't. MGS's absurdness has always been a part of its appeal. There's no reason to westernise it. If you want a westernised tactical shooter/stealth-em-up then there's plenty of choices out there. No need to give everything the same flavour.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

I like MGS games but Kojima needs to fill them with a higher ratio of gameplay to cutscenes.

He can keep developing them I'd just like to see him hire a western company to write the story and edit the dialogue. MGS 4 was such a mess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,711 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

It wouldn't hurt Kojima to take a bit of criticism and hire an editor or 2, but only hire an individual - wouldn't want a story-by-committee!

• Advertisement

While Kojima has definitely been terrible in the story. MGS3 and Peace Walker (No idea on Portable Ops) both had good stories imo which weren't completely ridiculous like 2 and 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

tok9 wrote: »
    While Kojima has definitely been terrible in the story. MGS3 and Peace Walker (No idea on Portable Ops) both had good stories imo which weren't completely ridiculous like 2 and 4.

Portable ops was miles better than peace walker. Peace walker was the worst Mgs imo.

EDIT: Also. MGS1's story was probably the best

Timmyctc wrote: »
    Portable ops was miles better than peace walker. Peace walker was the worst Mgs imo.

EDIT: Also. MGS1's story was probably the best

Wait, as in overall, you think Peace walker is the worst MGS game?

Personally I thought MGS3 had the best story.

tok9 wrote: »
    Wait, as in overall, you think Peace walker is the worst MGS game?

Personally I thought MGS3 had the best story.

I'd say 1 just shaded 3 but I was just wondering why 1 didnt get an honorable mention :P umm yeah Peace walker as a game and as a story imo was crap. It played like an unfinished game in comparison to portable ops.

Overall I'd rate the MGS series like this.

From best to worst .

Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistance
    Metal Gear Solid
    Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker
    Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops
    Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance
    Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    It wouldn't hurt Kojima to take a bit of criticism and hire an editor or 2, but only hire an individual - wouldn't want a story-by-committee!

There is something to be said by writing by committee. Most of Mass Effect was written by committee....talking as a group about what works and what doesn't. You know the only bit that was written by just one guy? The ending of the third. Yeah. Speaks for itself.

Sometimes, it is better to get feedback from your peers.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Paul1990

I'd say 1 just shaded 3 but I was just wondering why 1 didnt get an honorable mention :P umm yeah Peace walker as a game and as a story imo was crap. It played like an unfinished game in comparison to portable ops.

I liked the game but the story was all over the shop. I think I remember there was a schoolgirl who turned out to be a secret agent who then stole Metal Gear, it was all a bit mental.

Paul1990 wrote: »
    I liked the game but the story was all over the shop. I think I remember there was a schoolgirl who turned out to be a secret agent who then stole Metal Gear, it was all a bit mental.

The fulton recovery system was a half finished piece of crap. You could be in the top secret underground base and somehow manage to attach a balloon to a fella and he'd fly through the roof and then into a plane somewhere :p

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Paul1990

The fulton recovery system was a half finished piece of crap. You could be in the top secret underground base and somehow manage to attach a balloon to a fella and he'd fly through the roof and then into a plane somewhere :p

Maybe they're very, very powerful balloons?

Azza wrote: »
    Overall I'd rate the MGS series like this.

From best to worst .

Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistance
    Metal Gear Solid
    Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker
    Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops
    Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance
    Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots

Portable Ops above 2? :confused::mad:

Honestly though, PO is one of the most miserable gaming experiences I've ever had. Nonstop crab hands trying to play that game. A good example of why Metal Gear should never have been turned into a portable series, at least not Metal Gear Solid. Ac!d was decent.

• Advertisement

I thought the core gameplay in MGS 2 was fine. But after the prologue chapter the story was dreadful, Raiden and Rose where awful characters with some mind blowingly awful dialogue. Boss battles where average as well.

Portable Ops core gameplay wasn't as good but I much preferred it as an overall package. Thought the story was decent and so where the characters. Boss fights where okay for a hand held too. Do admit the camera was poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭LuckyFinigan

Turns out Kiefer Sutherland is doing the voice and facial capture for snake. Still no David Hayter.

Kiefer.png

http://ie.ign.com/videos/2013/06/06/metal-gear-solid-v-interview

Turns out Kiefer Sutherland is doing the voice and facial capture for snake. Still no David Hayter.

Kiefer.png

http://ie.ign.com/videos/2013/06/06/metal-gear-solid-v-interview

Bloody awful news imo. As soon as be opens his gob you'll immediately think of 24/Jack Bauer ruining any immersion in the story. They should have kept David Hayter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

Bloody awful news imo. As soon as be opens his gob you'll immediately think of 24/Jack Bauer ruining any immersion in the story. They should have kept David Hayter.

I dunno he was very good in COD: World at War. I didn't get the '24' feeling playing that game.

Could be a genius move. I'll wait and see though

The game takes place in 1984, when Snake is 49 years old.

Wat?

Snake appears in MGS2 which is set in 2007/2009, which means Snake would be like 70+ in MGS2.

danthefan wrote: »
    Wat?

Snake appears in MGS2 which is set in 2007/2009, which means Snake would be like 70+ in MGS2.

It's big boss.

Yeah thought it must have been, makes it easier to take Hayter not voicing him. If it was Solid Snake with a different actor it would have been crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭Kerplunk124

I understand that BB is getting older and they need a new voice actor but c'mon like..The Japanese version has the same actor as always

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,981 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I'm pretty sure he's not playing Snake, or at least, there's some ambiguity about how he's playing whatever character he is. He's in the trailer as Ishmael, you can clearly hear Keifer's voice there, but not as Big Boss. Maybe the guy under the bandages is a "Snake" of some sort, or some other twist like that. I'm guessing the whole bandages thing is there for a reason, and some tricky cloning is going on. Hayter and Keifer will be awesome :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

I like his voice. People need to calm down. I mean, not buying a game cause a voice actor has changed? It's like the idiots who vowed not to buy bioshock infinite when they announced a cover that was to "mainstream". pathetic.

BTW i don't get all the hate for MGS4 either. behind mgs3 it is my favourite. The scenes were long but i enjoyed them highly. There was so many throwbacks to all the old games. Epic game

Advertisement