Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free simple OCR program for Windows?

Options
  • 27-03-2013 8:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I am looking for a simple program to help a friend get the most from her scanner.

I need a program that can take a page of text and when I scan
    it into the computer with the scanner, convert the text to an editable form.

This is called an Optical Character Recognition (OCR) program.

A lot of scanners come with such a program, but my friend does
    not have any discs that came with the scanner.

I have done some research and found that the system called Tesseract
    is good, but does not come with an easy to use Windows interface.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesseract_(software)

I tried the program "Free OCR" but I do not like the spam programs it forces
    you to install with the main program, or the fact that it keeps a copy
    of the scanned document in the program folder C:\freeocr

I then tried Lime OCR from Google, but this kept on crashing.

Does anyone know of a simple and reliable freeware OCR program for Windows?

Thanks

Barney

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

There is TopOCR. No longer free, but older versions can still be found. I have 3.1 somehere, here's a working link for Version 3.0.

It was designed to OCR poor quality images of documents taken with digital cameras, so the focus was on accuracy. The latest version 4.3 costs a Fiver, for a while it was only sold in a bundle with a special document camera for 200 dollar or so. Great piece of software, IMHO beats the heck out ABBYY FineReader in terms of accuracy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Torqay wrote: »
    There is TopOCR. No longer free, but older versions can still be found. I have 3.1 somehere, here's a working link for Version 3.0.

I downloaded 3.0 from your link and ran it through "VirusTotal", which uses 46 different virus/malware scanners on any file you upload.

3 of the 46 scanners found something suspicious.
    They may be false positives... but that's up to you to judge for yourself.

VirusTotal link for TopOCR 3.0 Exe file

Too bad then... lotsa sh*te out there and one cannot be careful enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,319 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

adobe reader, foxit PDF, and even Windows 8 reader all support this functionality

its accuracy depends on the scan resolution.

I havent met one yet that reliably imported tabulated data or spreadsheets; good luck on that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭barneysplash

Overheal wrote: »
    adobe reader, foxit PDF, and even Windows 8 reader all support this functionality.

You mean you can scan using Adobe Reader and perform OCR on the scanned data?
    How?

• Advertisement

Some PDF Readers (such as Adobe Reader or PDF-Xchangeviewer) have OCR cabilty. You'll need to scan the document and export to PDF first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭barneysplash

Torqay wrote: »
    Some PDF Readers (such as Adobe Reader or PDF-Xchangeviewer) have OCR cabilty. You'll need to scan the document and export to PDF first.

Interesting, will give it a try. :cool:

Advertisement