Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Ratoath

Options
  • 27-03-2013 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭

Hi

I live in the Dublin 8 now and thinking of moving out to Ratoath, for a more village life, i am from donegal and sick of the city life.

The only problem is i am not sure how i would get to work or how long it would take, i work in Charlemont Place, Dublin 2.

I was thinking that i could get the train into the docklands and then cycle to work, are u allowed to take a bike on to the train from M3 parkway stop to the docklands train station. If so how long does this journney take?

How far is the M3 parkway train station away from Ratoath.

Or is there a bus that would go near Dublin 2, and if so how long does it take in bus.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Most of the buses from Ratoath only go as far as O'Connell Street. But the 7.45am 103 bus goes all the way to UCD (I assume it goes up Leeson Street which would be fairly close to Charlemont Place). Going by the timetable here, it gets into Stephen's Green at 8.45. I'm not sure how accurate that is however, as I lived opposite UCD last year and sometimes saw this bus arrive in UCD at around 9.30. Also, there is no return bus in the evening (for whatever reason) so you would have to make your way back to Beresford place to get a bus back to Ratoath.

The M3 Parkway station is a 10-15 minute drive from Ratoath and there's plenty of free parking in it. The trip to Docklands takes just over half an hour but I'm not sure if normal bikes are allowed on the train (foldup bikes would be fine).

I'm living in Ratoath, so if you need any other advice about the area just ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Delboy007

Thanks for all the help, i think Ratoath might be just a bit too far out (but we have found a car so will have a car now and might work), but looking at castleknock, coolmine, clonsilla also. Just looking to rent 1st before we buy and there is no house for rent out there at all

Would anyone know of any good estate agents that would cover all these places

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Have you considered Maynooth or Dunboyne. Both served better by bus and train. Some of the trains go to Pearse St which might be handy.

Both are nice towns to live in. Maynooth is a busy little town but its a great place to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

zI live in the Dublin 8 now and thinking of moving out to Ratoath, for a more village life, i am from donegal and sick of the city life.

The only problem is i am not sure how i would get to work or how long it would take, i work in Charlemont Place, Dublin 2.

I was thinking that i could get the train into the docklands and then cycle to work, are u allowed to take a bike on to the train from M3 parkway stop to the docklands train station. If so how long does this journney take?

How far is the M3 parkway train station away from Ratoath.

Or is there a bus that would go near Dublin 2, and if so how long does it take in bus.[/QUOTE]

Regular buses and a train service are great from the village. It's about an hour in total the journey into town, but you'll never be waiting long for a bus.

The main thing to remember though, is that this is where you'll be living, so although the commute to work is important, it isn't the be all and end all. You need to consider other factors like whether you're into sports - lots of great clubs around, soccer, GAA, rugby, pitch and putt, BMX track etc etc.

Then there are facilities, good schools, shops, pubs and Ratoath always had that village 'feel' about it despite growing in recent times.

I'm from Ratoath clearly too so any more questions feel free to ask. It's a great village and a lovely place to live

• Registered Users Posts: 2 SarahFitz909

I was just wondering if you could tell me is there any way to bet from Ratoath to work in Intel in Leixlip via public transport? I cant seem to find any info on this journey. My partner and I are moving from munster and he will be working in Intel (no car) and me in the airport (with a car) and we have seen a well priced apartment in Ratoath.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Trivial, off topic point here. but I don't get why people still call Ratoath a village, it has a bigger population than Trim or Kells, which everyone calls towns.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

I was just wondering if you could tell me is there any way to bet from Ratoath to work in Intel in Leixlip via public transport? I cant seem to find any info on this journey. My partner and I are moving from munster and he will be working in Intel (no car) and me in the airport (with a car) and we have seen a well priced apartment in Ratoath.

There's a bus to the airport from Ratoath alright. Perhaps your partner could drive and you get the bus.

I'd imagine it would be messy to get to to Leixlip from Ratoath by bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Colm R

The only possibilty of public transport would be a private operator that goes to Maynooth, and then finding another link from there (possibly Dublin bus) out to Intel. Its Finlay coaches. http://finlaycoaches.com/college-services/

However, I don't think that is feasible. Living in Ratoath is entirely possible, however it would have to be you that would use public transport, with what is a fairly regular service to the airport
    http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1318605105-109A.pdf

If on the other hand your partner cannot drive, I could not recommend living in Ratoath.
    You could try other towns such as Dunboyne (a two hop train ride to Intel), Leixlip itself, Maynooth, Lucan etc.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

I think Intel provide free buses to their site in Leixlip from M3 parkway train station each morning and back again in the evenings? If he could get a lift there in the mornings and picked up in the evenings it would be ideal. Otherwise, he could get a Bus Eireann bus to the old N3 and walk to the station from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Colm R

I think Intel provide free buses to their site in Leixlip from M3 parkway train station each morning and back again in the evenings? If he could get a lift there in the mornings and picked up in the evenings it would be ideal. Otherwise, he could get a Bus Eireann bus to the old N3 and walk to the station from there.

I've heard about this, and I'm not entirely sure of the details, but I think its a temporary arrangement while there is some construction work going on at Intel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

I have also heard this. The car park is definitely being used by a third party other than Irish Rail as the car park is sectioned off with a security guard sitting there for most of the day.

Advertisement