Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best baby sling

Options
  • 27-03-2013 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of investing in a baby sling that both me and my husband can use. I haven't a clue what in looking for amongst all the available brands. Has anyone who uses one any thoughts or could they recommend theirs?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

It's a toughy. The supposedly better inward slings are all completely girly, so blokes won't wear them. My husband used the baby bjorn, with baby facing in. It is navy and has lots of manly looking straps and buckles. kinda like combat gear. We never used it facing out though. We switched to a backpack type one at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I have the ergo sling. You can buy the newborn insert so its suitable for even a teeny tiny baba. It's masculine enough to appeal to the dads too. It's also very good for anyone with shoulder and back problems which I have as it disperses the weight evenly.

They are pricey but worth it if you think you'd use it a lot.

There's also a baby wearing association and they have a library of slings which they loan out for two weeks for a small fee.

You kind of need to try a few to see which suits you best.

The website won't open on my phone but it's www.babywearingireland.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

I'd steer away from the baby bjorn too: the manduca or the ergo are both available in plain blacks. Nice for mum and dad :) but baby wearing Ireland is a fantastic source of info

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭emer_b

It's worth considering one that can be adapted for inward and outward facing.
    My little lady used the inward facing a handful of times as a newborn but as soon as she could support her neck she was only happy facing out, she's so nosy! She was never great to sleep in it but once she was happy looking out it freed up my hands to get a few things done, was a life saver!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I have an Ergo, a samsonite and 2 baba slings.

The samsonite is too big for me but my husband likes it,I love the baba slings so had 2 for when 1 was in the wash , I bought an Ergo for this baby and am undecided between which I love the most but probably the baba sling.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

We had a demonstration at our mother and baby group ran by the PHN of different slings, and the babybjorn is not recommened by them because the correct position for the baby's legs in a sling should be bent to like frogs, not dangling because its not good for the hips to have them dangle like that.

The ergo has their legs tucked up frog style from newborn once you buy the insert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Hobbitfeet

We have Manduca and ring sling. Manduca is great so easy to use and dp likes wearing it..he looks so good in it :)
    I used it from birth but I think next time I'd prefer a woven wrap for newborn and keep Manduca for when they are couple of months old

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

We got a custom made madame googoo, she's on Facebook, gorgeous carriers! I have 2 wovens and a ring sling now, but we use the googoo a lot more as its quick up and down when were out.
    You should hire some from babywearing Ireland, €15 to hire 2 sling/carriers for 2 weeks and try out what you think you might like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

I'd definitely recommend hiring something from Babywearing Ireland before buying.
    A lot of them are expensive but have a great resale value.
    I have an ergo that I used until my son was around 14 months, then he was too big for it. I then got a Huckepack as
    A buckle carrier.
    I have a ring sling that can be used from newborn to any age really, I use it comfortably now and my son is a large 18 months. It's not very appealing to daddies though!
    A mei tai might be an option either, they range from baby size to pre school size, and can be reversable so a plain side for daddy and a pretty side for mama :)

• Advertisement

I'm actually looking for a sling type carrier for no.2 as I think it would help trying to manage a newborn and a toddler. Plus I intend to ignore all the well intentioned advice of putting the baby down so as not to spoil him. This one will be carried as much as she/he and I want to.

I must get in contact with babywearingireland and see what they'd recommend.

I've got shoulder and back problems so it has to be easy for me to wear. I'll use my ergo too but perhaps a sling would be more comforting for the new born stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I found a stretchy wrap best for the newborn stage as I could just wear it all day like a type of t-shirt and then just slip him in and out of it. I could also feed him in it with both hands free so could feed him in it while making dinner or vacuuming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

I've got shoulder and back problems so it has to be easy for me to wear. I'll use my ergo too but perhaps a sling would be more comforting for the new born stage.

I have a bad back too and have never had any problems with using my slings . I have a ring sling, woven and a olives and applesauce ssc.

There is a Facebook group Babywearing ireland Sling addicts and support - there are regular sling meetings you can go to and talk to other wearers

I borrowed one ring type sling on my son and it really wasn't for me. I could feel it dragging off my shoulder straight away. Yep I'm going to get in contact with baby wearing ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

i found the moby great when he was newborn as it wass so balanced, when you spear out the shoulder pieces, you forget you are carrying him! I never got the hannging of b/feeding in it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

I would love love love to be able breast feed hands free while feeding my 13 month old! That's the dream! I bought the ergo as thought it would be ok for this? Like the ergo for number 1 anyway - so got the baby insert the other day!

dublinlady I never managed the hands free feeding but then again I'm all fingers and thumbs awkward. I never even mastered the scarf draped over as I always seemed to put it the wrong way around and just expose myself.

dublinlady I never managed the hands free feeding but then again I'm all fingers and thumbs awkward. I never even mastered the scarf draped over as I always seemed to put it the wrong way around and just expose myself.

Hehe! I could usually manage to cosy her up at the kitchen table with a breast feeding pillow but it was pretty awkward cos I had to use nipple shields which did make it very tricky! I'm not sure whether id manage with the ergo tho! Will see if my confidence grows once I've tried it normally! Between the carrier and the latch ill need a lot of luck!

Do babies sleep well in the ergo? My 1 yr old would never but I think it's cos her head is kinda unsupported in it and she'd have to be totally wiped out to let it fall on our chests - independent women and all that! I feel if she could rest it against the side we might manage.

Yes, well my son used to doze off in it quite happily. It'd be more of a catnap than a sleep but I found it great going around the shops, in the airport etc. Maybe it depends on the baby too as my son always loved me holding him all the time. He still does which isnt so easy anymore. Other babies, like your little one, may be a bit more independent and would rather their own space.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

I have the caboo/close sling carrier and its one of the best purchases we made. My daughter is now 8 months/18lbs and she still loves it and I have recently put her forward facing.

I could feed her in it and she slept in it for hours, we went to a rugby game when she was 4 months and she slept in it for over 3 hours despite noise! I also found during growth spurts or grumpy days having her on my chest helped her a lot.

I have a bad back since pregnancy but no problems using the sling. We also have the baby bjorn and I find it really uncomfortable.

I don't know anyone else with this carrier but maybe its under another name.

• Advertisement

I can feed Sam in the Ergo now but when he was smaller and I was using the infant insert it didn't work as the instant I put him in it, he'd fall asleep. Literally instantaneously, it was very funny.

iguana wrote: »
    I can feed Sam in the Ergo now but when he was smaller and I was using the infant insert it didn't work as the instant I put him in it, he'd fall asleep. Literally instantaneously, it was very funny.

Finding it tricky to decide if that's a pro or a con... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Yeah, as soon as I put him in the insert he was in sleepy mode.
    I had a love/hate relationship with the insert, I had to place it on the passanger seat of the car, then move baby from the carseat in the backseat, to the insert and then put him in the carrier. Where as with the moby, I'd wear it under my coat and just stick him in.

The longest my daughter slept in the ergo was 3 hrs at the Tall Ships race. I was so worried she was OK, but she loved it and I really did forget I was carrying her! She would have been 10 months. I know I did keep the side sliders quite tight and this kept her head still and on my chest, so she was quite supported. My son hates this and loves looking around and grabbing things. I mostly back carry him now at 14 months.

My friend could feed her little one in the ergo, but it was her third and the baby could use her fist to put the nipple in his mouth at 5 months, honestly! The mum knew instantly if the latch was right. Where as each latch was a menenouver for me! And a nipple shield user!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

I managed to feed a couple of times in the ergo but it was with some serious manoeuvre ing!
    I think if I had a newborn I'd definitely go with a stretchy wrap or jpmbb, and my ring sling.
    How strange, (and anyone else who is interested) there's an informal sling meet in panda play cafe in terenure on Tuesday if you wanted to check out some strechy wraps etc. it's great if its your second bub cos you can bring the bigger kids to play there while checking out slings :D

Lol wmpdd3, maybe it's a 3rd child thing!

liliq what time is that meet up on tomorrow at? The little prince will be in creche so it'll it's be me and the one that's cooking!

liliq wrote: »
    I managed to feed a couple of times in the ergo but it was with some serious manoeuvre ing!
    I think if I had a newborn I'd definitely go with a stretchy wrap or jpmbb, and my ring sling.
    How strange, (and anyone else who is interested) there's an informal sling meet in panda play cafe in terenure on Tuesday if you wanted to check out some strechy wraps etc. it's great if its your second bub cos you can bring the bigger kids to play there while checking out slings :D

That's brill - it's between 11-3? Ill hopefully make it about 12 or 1!
    Love that place anyway - so good to get the little ones interacting when they don't get to see kids otherwise!

Oh, I'm so sad I moved. I used to live a few minutes from there and it would have been great to meet some of you in person. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4 youdneverguess

Another recommendation for the Ergobaby carrier here. They're brilliant, they look nice and the only carrier/ sling of about 7 or 8 that I tried that my son would tolerate. In fact he loves it and sleeps happily in it while I'm food shopping. He's 7 months old and I got it when he was about 4 months old. I don't have the infant insert as he was able to hold his head up himself when I bought it. You need to be careful you buy from an official vendor though as there are a lot of counterfeits around apparently. The only official web site is the ergobaby.com US site. They have a list on it of official suppliers and also a list of places where counterfeit ones have been sold. The ergobaby.ie site is bogus so steer clear. I'm so glad I checked first as I was considering buying online from them. Bought from a shop (Bellababy, via their web site) instead so I know mine is bonafide :).

Husband has also used it and finds it comfortable and not too girly. You can get very plain if you have a particularly fussy OH. Don't get a Babybjorn. They're not good for baby hips, are very expensive considering the fact that the baby grows out of them very quickly. Also they are not very ergonomic. I've heard good things about Beco and Manduca carriers though.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

My issues with the ergo are is that it can be akward to get on on your own and I could not feed him in it, I still love it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭zinzan

We used the Simply good Snugly sling with our little fella, website is here
    Also a video on youtube here.

Found it secure, safe and versatile and comfortable for either of us to carry... definitely recommend it! Makes for very easy travelling, and our fella
    slept well in it too. It is also very easy to use and get the hang of.

It is also not overly padded/fluffy like some others of this type are so the baby whilst being secure and cosy, isn't too enclosed when in it.

Advertisement