Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All dogs to be chipped.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    Fair point LA. My previous Ridgeback developed a heart condition at the age of 9, he lived until 11 and I had let his insurance lapse. Between medication and visits to the vet and UCD Vetenary Collage my expenses were over €5,000.

Maybe for some insurance would be useful. But I've had pets all my life, and same with my parents.
    We've always managed to get the pets treated. Sure it can be expensive, but from my experience you often won't need insurance. And can likely pull the money together if you do. At worst, I'd get a credit union loan.
    I'd still believe it to be cheaper than paying insurance because something MIGHT happen. It's a lot of wasted money when nothing does. And then with everything they don't pay for..heh, no thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

I suspect we're talking at cross-purposes here, and the person who first mentioned insurance was talking about insurance against your dog biting someone.

As for pet medical insurance, I gave that up when I realised I was paying more for the treatment with it (partly because my vet was offering treatment on the basis that the insurance would pay for it, which they did, at least for 2/3 of it).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

Question about this, I ave an 11 year old ab who is not chipped, should I chip her? She never leaves my side and has her ID tags.

My younger lab is chipped, don't want my older girl to get into trouble :)

Should mention she's not insured, too old and has severe hip dysphasia, younger lad is insured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

I would chip all dogs, doesn't cost much and you never know when your dog will go missing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

chip her, but dont bother with insurance, read all the posts to see why

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

chip her, but dont bother with insurance, read all the posts to see why

Yea I will, need to bring her into the vet anyway, she has lumps under her skin so I get them checked every 1-2 months. Ill get her chipped next time I'm in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

I suspect most responsible dog owners will respect the chip law; but it will have virtually no impact on anything, since responsible dog owners are responsible :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,038 ✭✭✭Hitchens

A tattoo artist and Army veteran from North Carolina drew criticism from all over the country after he had tattooed his 4-month-old puppy, Duchess, and posted the pictures on Facebook.

Ernesto Rodriguez said he inked the American pit bull on his belly for identification purposes. He also claims that his pet was anesthetized and didn´t feel any pain.

"Here is the final results for you haters out there. Animal control came looked at my beautiful dog and left...wow..what a waste of tax payers money, so im still gonna tattoo my dogs when ever i feel like it. Good try haters thanks for all the advertisement," Rodriguez wrote on Facebook.

Advertisement