Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Real Spirit Visitations or Hallucinations following a death.

Options
  • 27-03-2013 10:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭

I have friends, 3 of them, all a good bit older than me, in their 60s+. and all very spiritual, clean living and sound of mind.

Each of them can relate to me an experience where either a recently passed relative or friend has appeared to them shortly, if not immediately after their death.

Each has been very genuine and moved when telling me about their experience.

I cant figure out why, if such occurrences are real , why there are not more of them reported? Do people not talk about them? Are they rare, or are these experiences really hallucinations brought about by grief?

I feel a bit awkward even questioning these reports, as each person relayed their experience to me with such sincerity. Comments welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Does not happen:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

What does not happen? Hallucinations or visitations? Or both?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

please share your research on this

I only know of one person who had a very clear sight of her brother after he died. The mind though is a mad thing, so its hard to tell whats going on.

In her case, she was upstairs in her room at her brothers wake. He walked in out of nowhere, had a bit of a chat and then told her he had to go as their mother was on the way up to the room.

After about 5 mins her mother came upstairs to check on her. Now that could have been her mind thinking 'someone is bound to check on me soon' .. I dont know.
    Kettleson wrote: »
    I have friends, 3 of them, all a good bit older than me, in their 60s+. and all very spiritual, clean living and sound of mind.

Each of them can relate to me an experience where either a recently passed relative or friend has appeared to them shortly, if not immediately after their death.

Each has been very genuine and moved when telling me about their experience.

I cant figure out why, if such occurrences are real , why there are not more of them reported? Do people not talk about them? Are they rare, or are these experiences really hallucinations brought about by grief?

I feel a bit awkward even questioning these reports, as each person relayed their experience to me with such sincerity. Comments welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭StompToWork

As a paranormal skeptic, I believe it is "mind-tricks". When someone if grieving, they are usually tired, not getting enough sleep, have probably been that way for days or months (if they were giving long term care of the deceased). Add to the the actualy physical stress of having so many people around and the at the actual loss of a loved one, and it is prime conditions for the brain to start filling in blanks or giving the person what they desire more than anything - to interact with the person again.

That, plus I have yet to see any data or evidence that after-life interactions or "ghosts" are true disembodiements of dead people. Or, in order words - Pics, or it didn''t happen!!

• Advertisement

i think that if theres a time when you could conceivably hear and see things (ie hallucinate), then times of shock and grieving is a strong contender

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Every experience like this is unique and personal to the person who experienced it. As such it cannot be replicated, or tested. Which leaves us in a limbo, where the skeptics say 'no such thing' and the person it happened to says 'it felt so real'.

Absolutely the mind can play very realistic tricks (ask anyone whose taken an acid trip). But this kind of story is so widespread and has such commonality, it does make you wonder wtf is going on.
    But, as I've said, it cannot be tested, and I think the skeptics/believers will have to stay on opposing sides on this one, we simply don't know what the cause is.

But in the majority of cases where this happens, its helpful to the bereaved person. So why analyse it at all? Let them take their peace and comfort from it, regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭StompToWork

I don't think anyone here would suggest analysing these occurances with the person who experienced them. Personally, if someone shared such a story with me about it happening to them, I would be interested, and take what they said at face vaule.

It would not, however, stop me from analysing it myself or with like-minded people at a later stage. Like most, I would have loved to have been in the presence of recently passed loved ones, hallucination or not. I'd take it however it came.

That said, if I did expereince such a happening, my nature and beliefs would result in me making an appointment with my GP, not my PP!!

very true, and something thats usually overlooked.
    Oryx wrote: »
    But in the majority of cases where this happens, its helpful to the bereaved person. So why analyse it at all? Let them take their peace and comfort from it, regardless.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Pics, or it didn''t happen!!

Any pic can be forged, I don't see how that proves anything.

Just a word about quantum physics here; one electron can be in two places at the same time: this is weirder than the idea of ghosts - truth is stranger than fiction!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Forever Hopeful

A long time ago, my maternal grandmother passed away. She lived to a great age and we all loved her. My mum was devastated as you can imagine. I was in my 20s so I remember this vividly.
    After the funeral and things had died down, I remember how sad my mum was and wondering how long her grief would last. My Dad wasn't sure how to handle it all.
    One evening, I was sitting in the kitchen with her and she told me that granny had visited her in her sleep. Mum was adamant that it wasn't a dream but that granny spoke to her.
    I listened to mum describe the vision and that granny told her she would give her 3 gifts over the next few months that would help mum realise that granny was still with her. I specifically recall that night and thinking God my mum is cracking up.
    I didn't know what to think. This was the first time I had experienced a close loss thank God and seein my mum like this was horrible as nothing I said or did made it better.
    It must have been 2 weeks later when my mum found out she won a car. A month after that she won a shopping voucher... I don't recall a third item but it brought mum so much comfort, that she was back to herself in no time.
    Was it just a dream, was it a coincidence? Maybe but I will never forget that night in the kitchen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭jessabell88

My friend swears that she was awoken in the middle of night to see her deceased grandmother standing at the end of her bed wearing one of favourite dresses that she used to wear before she got sick. She says she just bolted straight up in the bed as you would if someone tried to wake you up quickly. She said that she was smiling at her and half turned and just vanished. Who knows. -- plus this was over a year after she had passed away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 captainzero

narcolepsy and other conditions can cause these things

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭mrmorgan

The night my grandmother died, my uncle was in bed and he heard knocking on his window and my grandfathers voice calling his name who had died about 10 years previously

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭leroythelegend

I've never seen anything but a few months after my Dad died I was walking down the hall to my bedroom and in one particular place in the hall I could smell my Dads after shave. It took me by complete surprise, I walked through it about 20 times and could really smell it. I went and called my Mam but it had gone when I returned. There was no obvious reason for the smell, no one else was in the house, there was no flowers or air freshners around. There may be a logical explanation but I couldn't find one. Maybe it was my mind playing tricks on me but it was actually a pleasent experience. My take from it is that it was just my Dad letting me know he's looking out for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

My brother dies when I was 12 and the night after the funeral I was going to bed whilst other family members were downstairs with visitors. I shared a room with my brother before he died and when I tried opening the door it wouldn't open. I barged my shoulder up against it a couple of times but still couldn't open it. It wasn't one of those doors that got stiff when thenweather changed and it didn't have a key to lock it. I then heard heavy breathing from the other side of the door and I was terrified. I went back downstairs and was told not to be so stupid. My sisters boyfriend brought me back up and he couldn't open the door either. We didn't hear the breathing but we both went back down stairs and when we entered the sitting room, the other people all stared at us both and everyone in the room could then hear a loud breathing sound that you could neatly feel as much as hear; it was like it was coming down on top of us and from all directions. Every single person was terrified, there was about 8 of us and we all left the house.
    Nobody stayed in the house that night or the next few nights.
    I'm usually a sceptic but that night just made no sense whatsoever. I still can't explain it. We never spoke about for years and I've probably spoken about it once to each of my siblings on different occasions and each time I spoke about it I would tingle and get glassy eyed. Even typing this is weird.
    If it was my brother and if I ever do meet him in any type of after life, I will be giving him a piece of my mind and I would encourage anyone who dies not to do this as it was far from comforting:-)

Advertisement