Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving down to Cork need some advice !!

Options
  • 27-03-2013 11:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hello there guys,

Luckily I got job offered and almost will go ahead for it .Job will be based in Hollyhill Ind, Est. Cork.

I now need some advice on moving down to Cork house and for my 4 years old son`s starting school next year.He now attending pre-school Montessori. I have already registered him here in our town for next year but If we move to Cork,that makes me worrying about him.

Also for renting house or apt, for total of 4 of us,I can only afford to pay rent up to €550-600, so that I need place to rent must be close to school or work.One of other.

There is more to be arrange for other things,..
    any advice will be appreciated.Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

I would caution you about living in the area in which you have found that job, well done on that by the way.

If you have your own transport I would suggest you look for a house in Ballincollig, Bishopstown or Blarney. Also if your 4 year old is starting school next September you would really want to have his/ her name on a school list asap.

Ps welcome to Cork

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

Wow that's a tight budget !
    For that kind of money (not sharing) you won't be living in Bishopstown or ballincollig anyway.
    No idea what prices are like in blarney. You really need to come up by 200-300 and even at that it'll be tight with 4 people.

Edit : 800 would get a decent place towards Wilton/sarsfield rd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭buzz_E

@horgan_p : which area will i choose from Daft.ie for searching house in Wilton/sarsfield rd??

i am on search of school and house but it is not a luck time for house.It s so expensive,.. most important is school for my child.. 2-bed will be enough for myself and wife and kids (4 and 1years old) ..I have transport but will my working hours match with school hours. I am a bit curious now on everything.

I would like to get the house/apt in nice and safe & quite area as because I am now happy with some people(neighbour) around me now where live in small Estate.. My kerosene tank was emptied twice when i was away for holiday..

but again school enrollment is very important for kid.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

In Daft you can search by selecting Cork City and then selecting Wilton.
    Sarsfield road can be a bit hit and miss , there are good and bad estates.
    The hassle is its so close to the hospital that it attracts nurses and doctors , hence high rent.
    Also Bishopstown is traditionally a student suburb (close to CIT), again hence high rent.

Apple is mostly shift work so I doubt your hours will match with the school run.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Hey, welcome to Cork. You really are going to struggle with that budget. Here are a couple of options for you. Near loads of schools, nice area's and since you have transport you can get to work from either of these places. They are going to be small though, good luck.

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1314991

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1323574

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Cork City's rental prices aren't too different from Dublin, so to be honest your budget is not really going to get you much.

You'd really need to stretch to €800+ before you'd even be reaching the bottom end of the market in the city anyway.

If you can commute from somewhere a good bit outside the city however, you might be able to get something.

Maybe look at some of the smaller towns that are outlying around Cork e.g. Riverstick (bus/car, on way to Kinsale), maybe Carrigtowhil (linked by train and bus and major 120km/h road) etc etc...

Your budget's not realistic for anywhere in the city or suburbs.

I know a few people renting and even at €800 you're often looking at quite low quality places (older apartments etc). If you've kids, you'll probably need something fairly good, so I'd say you'd be definitely looking at outer commuter belt stuff.

That being said, if you are working on the side of the city that's near where you're living you could find that you have a nice lifestyle with a decent house in a semi-rural spot and not too bad a commute (relative to Dublin).

Best of luck with your move and sorry to be so blunt about the budget.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Grand Moff Tarkin

Was there not a thread about this last week when a chap got a job in Apple?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

maybe try ballincollig or ovens, they aren't too far from apple if you're driving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Try Ballyvolane, OP. It's only a 10 minute drive from Apple (if that's where you'll be working) and is lovely and quiet. Not too sure about the schools there, but can ask the neighbours if you wish.

Gurranabraher is also close and is very settled, as is Faranree. DO NOT rent in Mayfield, Hollyhill or Knocknaheeny. Not nice! :(. Another good option would be Glanmire.

If you're coming in from the west of the city (Wilton, Ovens, Ballincollig), traffic can be very busy at peak times. Personally, I think Ovens/Ballincollig is too far especially when you're on a schedule to pick up your kid.

The rent budget is too small as others have said. To get anywhere decent, you need to start talking at 800-850 pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

Finding a nice place for €550-600 may be difficult alright.
    But around €700 should be ok. No need to be spending €800+

Glanmire (€680, 2 bed apt)
    Grand location, 15-20 mins drive from Hollyhill. Other apartments like this on daft for €700.
    http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1263174

Ballincollig (€700, 2 bed bungalow)
    Looks ok. Nice size garden.
    http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1315606

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

a big concern for the OP should be having a son with a cork accent

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭blindsider

OP - this is a bit out of town, in a small village on the right side of the city for you. if you're absolutely determined to stick to budget, it might do.

Maybe it's a long shot, but worth a look...?

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1315178

Use Google Maps etc to look around the area etc.

Was there not a thread about this last week when a chap got a job in Apple?

NO, That was not me. this is new and genuine thread for pre-search of moving.

Thanks for every one who did / will respond to this thread for helping me out...

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Totally Tropical

a big concern for the OP should be having a son with a cork accent

Cork people speak normal.As far as im concerned everyone else has weird accents.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

Hi OP, Shanakiel and Sundays well are very settled areas and are close to Apple. Gurranabraher/Churchfield I might avoid as they have one of the highest crime rates in the city.

omahaid wrote: »
    Hi OP, Shanakiel and Sundays well are very settled areas and are close to Apple. Gurranabraher/Churchfield I might avoid as they have one of the highest crime rates in the city.

Gurranabraher has no more crime than Douglas! Churchfield, I agree isn't brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 butbut

Traditionally the North side of the city has had a bad rep in Cork but I have to say of the areas if stay away from it has to be Douglas Carrigaline And Sarsfield Rd. but your budget is very low for anywhere invthe city I'm currently renting a three bed house in a very quiet estate in turners cross for 800 a month but we really had to search for this place but schools are walking distance

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

OP,a place here for ye in Mayfield for €620.Only about a 10 min drive away from your new job.All the best.

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1288553

Iona Road's not too bad for Mayfield. Still too close to the Cotton Ball for comfort though...

• Advertisement

Iona Road's not too bad for Mayfield. Still too close to the Cotton Ball for comfort though...

what do you mean with Cotton Ball? is it a name of area/place?

Do you guys think that Glanmire village or Iona Rd for rent and school(junior infant) ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Grand Moff Tarkin

buzz_E wrote: »
    NO, That was not me. this is new and genuine thread for pre-search of moving.
    Knocka is a great spot to rent in. Locals very friendly and the number 202 bus route will take you into the city center. The local school is top class as well.

Knocka is a great spot to rent in. Locals very friendly and the number 202 bus route will take you into the city center. The local school is top class as well.
    DO NOT rent in Mayfield, Hollyhill or Knocknaheeny. Not nice! :(. Another good option would be Glanmire..

ABajaninCork said above about Knocknaheeny. I made a list of apt in Sundays Well and Ioana Rd!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

Just rsmember that if you move further out of the city to save money on rent it will add upto 20-30 miles to a round trip to work. Petrol is expensive and you might end up paying the same on rent+fuel at the end of each month if you are living near by or a fair bit out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,484 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

If your son has to wait an extra year to get into a decent school don't worry about it. In fact he will be at an advantage if he starts next year when he's 5.

Good luck to you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

ABajaninCork said above about Knocknaheeny. I made a list of apt in Sundays Well and Ioana Rd!

Ioana Road while on the same side of the city as Apple is a fair commute. Sundays Well, is close to work and depending on where exactly can be very nice. But to be honest Apartment living in Cork is by and large rubbish. Small, badly designed and no sound protection.

If school is most important, then areas to look at are Ballinlough, Douglas, Blackrock. While they are a distance from Apple the 202 bus runs close or through the areas and gives a direct service to Apple.

Are you defo going to be in the Hollyhill building and not the City Centre call centre. A good few apple employees are living city centre and a few are lining in the Elysian, about the only apartment building where at a push you could raise children.

Also I know a number who rent in Jacobs Island in Mahon, again good bus link school is ok and rents for houses reasonable.

Also if I was you I would contact HR and ask if they could put you in touch with anyone who made the move a year or two ago with 2 kids, so they can give you the real info.

what do you mean with Cotton Ball? is it a name of area/place?

The Cotton Ball is a pub. And not a nice one at that. It's in the roughest part of Mayfield. If you ever drive through the Old Youghal Road, you'll see what I mean...

Ioana Road while on the same side of the city as Apple is a fair commute. Sundays Well, is close to work and depending on where exactly can be very nice. But to be honest Apartment living in Cork is by and large rubbish. Small, badly designed and no sound protection.

If school is most important, then areas to look at are Ballinlough, Douglas, Blackrock. While they are a distance from Apple the 202 bus runs close or through the areas and gives a direct service to Apple.

Are you defo going to be in the Hollyhill building and not the City Centre call centre. A good few apple employees are living city centre and a few are lining in the Elysian, about the only apartment building where at a push you could raise children.

Also I know a number who rent in Jacobs Island in Mahon, again good bus link school is ok and rents for houses reasonable.

Also if I was you I would contact HR and ask if they could put you in touch with anyone who made the move a year or two ago with 2 kids, so they can give you the real info.

What are you talking about? Iona Road's a 10 minute drive to Apple!! What route are you taking???? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

What are you talking about? Iona Road's a 10 minute drive to Apple!! What route are you taking???? :eek:

It's approx a 7 KM drive, maybe if you can average a 100kph you can do it in 7-10 mins knowing the traffic and roads in that area I would say it would be good to do it in 20 mins.

Advertisement