Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N or G

Options
  • 27-03-2013 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭

Am with UPC and moved up to 50Mbps and spoke to an engineer and got over 50Mbps on a Macbook with G/N card but on my desktop with a B/G card I get 20Mbps. I have a laptop with a B/G card and it only gets 20Mbps. Why the big difference. Surely G should get near 50Mbps?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

seanoge wrote: »
    Am with UPC and moved up to 50Mbps and spoke to an engineer and got over 50Mbps on a Macbook with G/N card but on my desktop with a B/G card I get 20Mbps. I have a laptop with a B/G card and it only gets 20Mbps. Why the big difference. Surely G should get near 50Mbps?

The actual maximum of "g" is about 28mbit, 20mbit is about right allowing for any local interference and the weak antenna in your laptop (simply 2 thin cables up the back of the screen). The 54mbit speed they quote for wireless "g" is theoretical, ie only achievalble in a lab, in a faraday cage within inches of each other with no interference.

Advertisement