Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things from Ireland you would like to have

Options
  • 27-03-2013 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys.

So I have this friend who recently emigrated to Oz and for his birthday coming up I decided I'd get him a hamper of stuff from home that maybe he wouldn't be able to buy out there.

So my question is I guess was there anything you missed about home that you wished you had or couldn't get your hands on. I got the usual tayto and chocolate bars but anything else? Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Rubadubchub

kwestfan08 wrote: »
    Hey Guys.

So I have this friend who recently emigrated to Oz and for his birthday coming up I decided I'd get him a hamper of stuff from home that maybe he wouldn't be able to buy out there.

So my question is I guess was there anything you missed about home that you wished you had or couldn't get your hands on. I got the usual tayto and chocolate bars but anything else? Any help would be appreciated.

A decent internet connection...

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Rubadubchub

On a serious note though bar a decent pint of guiness I havent noticed that there are loads of things I miss from home. Food wise i would say its pretty much the same. Soda bread and Potato bread are the only things off the top of my head.

My girlfriend complains about clothes, makeup and not being able to get the fake tan she likes over here but obviously they will be of little use to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

McDonnell's curry sauce, Chef brown sauce, maybe Barrys/Lyons teabags. I haven't bought any myself, but you can buy chef brown sauce online here from that Irish site but I think it's pricey enough. Tbh most Irish food can be got here, but I guess a hamper with a few bits and pieces would be nice.

Boxers and socks from Penneys would be welcome too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭haydar

Bachelors Beans and bisto gravy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Decent bread without paying $5, give me fresh baked from aldi/superquinn over that crap from coles
    The local - my local here is wooden high stools and pokies
    My dog ;)
    Ad free sports on telly (e.g. NRL and tom waterstone - or ad bread during play)
    RTE - seriously, the news, republic of telly, love/hate are all better produced than any of the crap 7,9&10 come up with

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭statina

Banshee bones/ Meanies crisps!
    Mayonnaise
    Chef brown sauce
    Penneys socks/underwear
    Wispa/ Timeout chocolate

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Parents Brothers and Sister.
    Everyone and everything else can go and sh!te !

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭CRenegade

Maybe some local newspapers from where they are from, a couple dating back over recent weeks. Local news wouldnt make it over here!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

The likes of Tayto and chocolate can be bought over here now so the novelty of getting stuff like that sent over is gone imo.

Runners and football boots are the biggies for me, the range over here is brutal and the prices are often double for the styles you can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

McDonnell's curry sauce, Chef brown sauce, maybe Barrys/Lyons teabags. I haven't bought any myself, but you can buy chef brown sauce online here from that Irish site but I think it's pricey enough. Tbh most Irish food can be got here, but I guess a hamper with a few bits and pieces would be nice.

Boxers and socks from Penneys would be welcome too :D

You can buy mcdonnells curry sauce and chef brown sauce in Cole's and/or woolies! If you are in Melbourne there's an internet cafe in st Kilda that sells Barry's tea for some reason as well!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

Bourbon biscuits, Chef brown sauce, any gravy granules, Chef brown sauce and Buffalo Hunky Dorys. p.s. Chef brown sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

Lads ye can buy chef brown sauce in the supermarkets! and Bisto gravy! And most of that other crap!

Does nobody buy groceries or what?! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭statina

I know you can buy the stuff but its overpriced and it's lovely to get a hamper of Irish stuff sent to you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

I had a pack of Tayto when I went back very nice but not worth a huge effort!

I also had a potato waffle

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

God ye do an awful lot of complaining in Oz :pac: There was I thinking its a great place!

Lads ye can buy chef brown sauce in the supermarkets! and Bisto gravy! And most of that other crap!

Does nobody buy groceries or what?! :confused:
    Does anyone know where to get Chef brown sauce in Brisbane ? My stock is getting worryingly low !!!!!!!!!!! :confused:
    I don't really want to start a thread about this, but may have to soon.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

God ye do an awful lot of complaining in Oz :pac: There was I thinking its a great place!

Nah, this is about the normal amount of whinging for such a benign topic,

Hang around a bit, someone might suggest buying a GAA Jersey as a present. :pac:
    That's when it really starts getting rabid.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Zambia wrote: »
    I also had a potato waffle

Biggest let down ever :(

Oh, and a pair of rose tinted glasses. Not to look back to a better time and place, because the sun is splitting the rocks here at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

You can buy mcdonnells curry sauce and chef brown sauce in Cole's and/or woolies! If you are in Melbourne there's an internet cafe in st Kilda that sells Barry's tea for some reason as well!

Haven't seen either of those in any Coles/Woolies here on northside, where did you see them? Could murder some post booze curry chips now :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Chemical Burn

haydar wrote: »
    Bachelors Beans and bisto gravy

Together :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Biggest let down ever :(
    True it was crap

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Gregsor

Does anyone know where to get Chef brown sauce in Brisbane ? My stock is getting worryingly low !!!!!!!!!!! :confused:
    I don't really want to start a thread about this, but may have to soon.:)

Just go with HP,never bothered me at home and it doesn't here either.

Gregsor wrote: »
    Just go with HP,never bothered me at home and it doesn't here either.

BLASPHEMER !!!!

BLASPHEMER !!!!

Maybe :),i think personally it is a better sauce though.
    Nearly choked on a can of Murphy's Stout the other day when i read it was brewed in the Uk,teach me to read the label a bit more carefully in future,now boycotted :pac:

hussey wrote: »
    RTE - seriously, the news, republic of telly, love/hate are all better produced than any of the crap 7,9&10 come up with

The Rte Player not do it for you?
    I watch very little on the box here bar Alan Carr/Graham Norton and mostly ABC stuff with some SBS for a good measure,spend some time on the Rte Player myself and the US shows through the PS3 help keep me away from the mainstream Aussie tv peak time ad blitzed shows.
    Have to agree abut the bread,i never buy the same bread twice in a row,like a vicious circle and i never find the right one :mad:,in the end Coles multigrain does the job for general eatery but when you want Pats or Old Mr Brennans to pig on a chip butty or noodle sambo the game is up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

My auntie was over from Perth recently - Superquinn sausages and batch bread!

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

Bramley apples, clonakilty puddings, twister ice cream

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

Half loaves of Pat The Baker or Brennans bread would be pretty handy out here. I always end up with wastage from having to buy full loaves of bread when I dont really need that much bread!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

The Aussie wrote: »
    Hang around a bit, someone might suggest buying a GAA Jersey as a present. :pac:

Ha I actually wouldnt mind a new GAA jersey, left my old 99 season jersey at home due to oil stains on it from wearing it at work :pac:

Advertisement