Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things from Ireland you would like to have

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

Black Pudding & a proper pint of Guinness.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 swazzie

To the poster who asked about chef sauce, you can get it in Britianonthebayside in Birkdale, Brisbane.
    They stock pretty much everything from home
    I miss penny's :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

On the bread front, I do miss McCambridges brown bread.

I always buy that Lawsons bread in the brown paper wrapper, its as good a loaf as Ive found here. A biteen pricey though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Campbell's curry sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

ripples-banner.png

really hate the bags of crap out here.. that and the guinness is sorely missed too. Decent fruit scones are harder to come by than ham scones in some parts. The biscuits are pretty lame. Most other things you can buy in the shops, or at least online at taste ireland. The clothes and shoes are not great here at all either. Does anyone know where i can find a normal milky way any more? they're all bloody 'chocolate whip' now..

on the flip side, love the farmers union ice coffee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭haydar

I think there are some pretty decent Biscuits here!

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭The Pheasant

Kerrygold butter, Mccambridges brown bread, Lyons tea bags, clonakilty black pudding and ballymaloe tomato relish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

Box of lucky charms cereal, Boston Celtics top and a big black bag full of shamrocks.

For anyone in Brisbane, food works in Morningside have a little Irish section . The best bit is they stock Irish sausage, rashers , Black/white pudding and SODA BREAD!!! Tastes like my granny used to make.
    Sad to get this excited over brown bread I know:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

decent black/white pudding. a decent pint of guinness. the sunday game, i know i can get it but i'd like it on sunday evening.

for all the people who mentioned soda bread, plenty of recipes on the odlums website. its very easy to make, one of the easiest breads.

• Advertisement

Th black pudding was a bit chalky , sausage nice and soda bread lovely from that place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭GalwayKiefer

I went in there for a look yesterday Swazzie but they were sold out of bread and the staff had no idea when more was coming in. Bought sausages, taytos and biscuits though. I guess I'm just going to have to quit being so lazy and just bake some bread myself.

I went in there for a look yesterday Swazzie but there were sold out of bread and the staff had no idea when more was coming in. Bought sausages, taytos and biscuits though. I guess I'm just going to have to quit being so lazy and just bake some bread myself.

There was an Irish girl working at the counter when I went and she said that the lady who makes the soda bread, delivers each day.
    I bought buttermilk once to make some, it sat in the fridge for a few weeks and then I ended up chucking it out.
    I near a supplier of soda bread :-)

sure buttermilk lasts for ages, it would have been grand!

Ha ha yeah would've been a bit chunky but sure that'd help the flavor ..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

I've bought the odlums mix where you just add milk, really easy. Was a bit dry the first time but just added a bit more milk the last time & it was grand. You can get it on the tasteireland site I think, I got it in a nightowl that had a little Irish section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭Will Heffernan

A pint of Guinness that didn't disappoint me terribly would be high on my list...and probably some huge, fat, red faced bouncer or barman to walk around any pub that I am in after my bed time shouting 'Have you got no homes to go to?'. Those are two things I definitely would like to have from Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Popinjay

This thread made me look for these two during the week.

http://www.bordbia.ie/aboutfood/recipes/desserts/pages/traditionalbrownsodabread.aspx

http://farmette.ie/2012/04/06/irish-brown-bread/

I'm going to try making one of them soon (it's a pain in the arse finding coase whoelmeal flour over here, it's all fine ground). There's a shop about 15/20mins away that sells it but I might not be able to get there this weekend.

I might start with the farmette one purely because I read that recipe first. If it's any use I'll let yis know. Fair warning, the last thing I baked was rice krispie buns in second class.

don't get too bogged down with the flours, the wholemeal in Coles works fine. i'd flip the ratios, more plain flour than wholemeal tastes better i find.

it takes a few attempts to tweak the recipe to suit how you like it, but once you have a recipe down-pat, its very easy. i wouldn't bother with those premix concoctions.
    http://www.odlums.ie/recipes/odlums-recipes/breads/quick-brown-bread/

Advertisement