Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC connection issues - Vista and encryption

• 27-03-2013 11:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭

Hi hoping someone can help me! I've had upc for nearly 2 years now and up until I got an IPAD I've had no complaints!
    Essentially the connection consistently dropping at least once every 2-5mins on my ipad but working on my iPhone and my laptop. I was reading online this issue was linked to My encryption settings on my router. I contacted upc and they changed the encryption settings so my connection wouldn't continuously drop however they said they don't fully support IPAD broadband delivery and that changing my encryption method could impact my laptop connection...my laptop now can't connect anymore after the encryption method was changed!!! I was reading this could be to do with my laptop having a Vista operating system. Is what I'm noting above a correct assumption and if I upgrade my laptop to windows 7 would the issue with my laptop not connecting be resolved?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,340 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I can't understand how up can change your encryption settings. I didn't think they have remote access to the non cable side of your router a that would be a significant invasion of your privacy.

You need to actually manage the encryption settings yourself. Do you know how to log in directly to the management interface of your router?

Change the encryption to basic we first and make sure that it is working properly before improving by moving to wpa or wpa2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭HattieMcDoogal

ste2010 wrote: »
    Hi hoping someone can help me! I've had upc for nearly 2 years now and up until I got an IPAD I've had no complaints!
    Essentially the connection consistently dropping at least once every 2-5mins on my ipad but working on my iPhone and my laptop. I was reading online this issue was linked to My encryption settings on my router. I contacted upc and they changed the encryption settings so my connection wouldn't continuously drop however they said they don't fully support IPAD broadband delivery and that changing my encryption method could impact my laptop connection...my laptop now can't connect anymore after the encryption method was changed!!! I was reading this could be to do with my laptop having a Vista operating system. Is what I'm noting above a correct assumption and if I upgrade my laptop to windows 7 would the issue with my laptop not connecting be resolved?

What encryption method was it changed to? Have you tried manually adding the SSID/Password in Network & Sharing --> Manage Wireless Networks? This works sometimes for connections issues with WEP.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

There have been lots of complaints about the performance of wifi on some iPads - have you tried it with other wifi networks?

https://www.google.ie/search?q=ipad+wifi+issues&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-gb&client=safari

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

What encryption method was it changed to? Have you tried manually adding the SSID/Password in Network & Sharing --> Manage Wireless Networks? This works sometimes for connections issues with WEP.

There shouldn't be any reason to use wep.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭mstester

Hey there!

I'm not sure this will help but I'll share my experience with you. I've been with UPC for over 3 years now. I never had a problem at all with any of their services (TV, Phone or Broadband). One day I came home and switched on the laptop and had the same issue you are describing i.e. connection to the internet (not router) dropped every 2-5 mins.

This problem plagued me for around 3-5 months. My laptop was Windows 7 and also a Windows XP (I also had a Ubuntu box, all suffered from the problem). I tried fixing it myself (I'm a principle software Engineer in Telcoms) but couldn't get anywhere with it. I tried using different DNS servers, I spent countless hours on the Phone with UPC and had call outs and nothing worked.

Eventually I found what the issue was for me....it was the WPA Key I had used. I had changed from the default to my own. The one I had used contained a plus and a minus character in the phrase. I happened to remove these chars and the problem went away. I never updated any of the laptops over these few months so I know it wasn't a software configuration on my end.

I rang UPC to explain what I had done and how it fixed the problem and what the guy said shocked me.....he said "Oh yeah we've heard people say that before"! I wanted to jump down the phone at the guy if he would have mentioned it to me the first time I would have been able to use my BB for the last 5 months.

One thing looking back that I kicked myself about was this. I had reset the laptop countless times but the only thing I ever changed straight away was the encryption and phrase.....I never once thought to leave the KEY as its default.

Good luck

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭HattieMcDoogal

dub45 wrote: »

There shouldn't be any reason to use wep.

I was just saying that if the OP was using WEP that adding the network manually may help. I'd use WPA2 myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭ste2010

When the connection was dropping I was using wep.
    When I rang to report the issue they asked me to log onto the router but I didn't know my username and password.
    So they created a new connection for me as changed the settings to wpa.
    They said that it would resolve the connection dropping with the iPad but may impact my laptop l

When the connection was dropping I was using wep.
    When I rang to report the issue they asked me to log onto the router but I didn't know my username and password.
    So they created a new connection for me as changed the settings to wpa.
    They said that it would resolve the connection dropping with the iPad but may impact my laptop connecting. Now my laptop can't connect at all

Thanks everyone for your help. Sorted this out today. UpC changed me back to WeP and set me up so when the connection drops it picks up another available connection which is invisible to me and will continue as a constant connection. Laptop is connected also which is great. They said vista doesn't work on wpa

Thanks everyone for your help. Sorted this out today. UpC changed me back to WeP and set me up so when the connection drops it picks up another available connection which is invisible to me and will continue as a constant connection. Laptop is connected also which is great. They said vista doesn't work on wpa

Not true, Vista SP0 has problems with WPA but SP1 and SP2 are fine. WEP is barely better than having nothing at all, it's a massive security risk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Sodman

mstester wrote: »
    Eventually I found what the issue was for me....it was the WPA Key I had used. I had changed from the default to my own. The one I had used contained a plus and a minus character in the phrase. I happened to remove these chars and the problem went away.

Thank you so, so much. This has plagued my house for the last year! My wireless password had a minus in it. There were no problems connecting from laptops but all iPads and smartphones in the house would drop the connection constantly! I took out the minus so here's hoping this fixes it!

Advertisement