Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rental of Mains Power Analyser

Options
  • 27-03-2013 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,503 ✭✭✭

I am looking to rent a Mains analyser to test single phase 230V power over a period of a month and log it.

My customer is going through electronic boards on 3 systems (all different) at a rate of knots and I want to put a data logger on for a month to see if there are dips or spikes in the supply. Ideally, I would like to just plug it in to 3 pin socket and leave it there for a while.

I think they need a UPS system to filter any spikes but they need to justify it's cost and this would help.

They are not cheap to buy and I would likely never use one again.

Has anyone here any company contacts that would be able to supply this.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

What about the ESB Networks? Have you reported possible issues to them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭liveandnetural

• Registered Users Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭ted1

You could make one fairly handy. You can get sensors that will close a relay if a the voltage goes above or below set limits, use the relay to trigger a counter.

This will tell you how many dips or surges you get. Or fed it in to a g text unit and let it text you ever time and event occurs.

Demense electrical in Tallaght sell the sensors.
    Here they are http://www.demesne.ie/technicalfunctionsmonitoringrelays.html

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

ted1 wrote: »
    You could make one fairly handy. You can get sensors that will close a relay if a the voltage goes above or below set limits, use the relay to trigger a counter.

This will tell you how many dips or surges you get. Or fed it in to a g text unit and let it text you ever time and event occurs.

Demense electrical in Tallaght sell the sensors.
    Here they are http://www.demesne.ie/technicalfunctionsmonitoringrelays.html

This will not tell you the magnitude of the overvoltage or undervoltage. It will give no indication of the rate of change either.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭ted1

You can set the limits, so it'll tell you if the limit is exceeded and how often the event happens. A lot of times that's enough information.
    We've used them a few times and its enough to get the ESB to act.

• Advertisement

The sensors sound interesting. Have you any details on them?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,503 ✭✭✭Damien360

I rang a few companies on the list given and it is €900 to €1000 to fit, test and report. No rental of this equipment.

I rang ESB and they said our customer must initiate query.

Looks like it will be up to our customer which reflects badly on us.

Prepare a document for your customer to sign. Then technically they have initiated it and you remain in the driving seat maintaining your integrity.

Advertisement