Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for broken/fake radio for movie prop

Options
  • 28-03-2013 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,

I'm looking for a broken radio, or an old radio, or the shell of a radio, or anything that remotely looks something along these lines:

SINCGARSRadio.jpg

2008_drive_thru_mod_cb_radio.gif

It essentially needs to look like a generic/cliché old radio :) Doesn't need to be functioning at all, as it's only going to be used as a prop, and then most likely discarded, so the cheaper the better.

Any idea where I could source something like this? Tried ebay and the like, but they were all functioning and expensive.

Appreciate any help :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Top is maybe Military
    Bottom is CB (very generic for a CB as many makes use same chassis for nearly 30 years with little change)

Both are vehicle /Mobile types.

There is really no such thing as totally generic.

There are four main appearances:
    Hand held
    Back pack
    vehicle
    Base (i.e. on a desk).

Also there are five common main styles very different in appearance:
    CB
    Amateur
    Commercial (i.e. Fleet Mobile, Security guards, Police/Ambulance etc)
    Marine
    Military.

There are also short range Licence Free Walkie Talkies
    "Toy" 27MHz and 49MHz
    PMR 433 MHz (some are commercially styled and sold at x10 price, but the same radio!)
    SDR 864 MHz

Different eras are very different style and size too.
    1920s, 1930s, WWII, 1950s, 1960s, 1970s & 1980s, 1990s to now.

see www.radiomuseum.org

It's important that a "prop" should blend in and not stick out and detract from the story.

You'd be amazed how much even ordinary people not Radio Enthusiasts recognise.

P.S. I'd be surprised if all the expensive stuff on ebay actually works. Plenty cheap stuff too. How much is "expensive"?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

contact your local ham radio club. hams never throw ANYTHING away, and I'm betting a bunch of them coul;d lend you a carcase o even a working radio for a few days.... especially if you offered a "Radio technical support" credit!!

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭brownmini

hams never throw ANYTHING away,

So true...so true :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭KonFusion

contact your local ham radio club. hams never throw ANYTHING away, and I'm betting a bunch of them coul;d lend you a carcase o even a working radio for a few days.... especially if you offered a "Radio technical support" credit!!

I'm in Dublin. Where would I go about finding out where my local ham radio club is.

Ignorantly, I didn't even know there was such a thing :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

lets try googling amateur radio club dublin.......

1st hit....

http://www.irts.ie/cgi/affiliat.cgi

take your pick!

• Advertisement
Advertisement