Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which HIM to choose..

Options
  • 28-03-2013 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭

Race season is fast approaching again and I am ever so glad, its been a long winter slog of indoor training and sh1te weather. I've decided to commit to another HIM this summer which will mark my second attempt at the distance after Galway 70.3 last year. Unfortunately Galway is a no go this year which leaves me searching for a new race destination, Alas I know very little, or nothing about the other 70.3 races in terms of cost, value for money, race atmosphere, ect..

As im living west, Ive decided to rule out doing a race in the north and south east as there just to far to travel which leaves me looking at:

Humbert Challange Mayo
    Shadow Man Tri Athlone
    The lost sheep Kerry
    Athy Double Olympic

I have a few concerns and beliefs about these races, which hopefully are not all true and somebody can set me straight but automatically I am thinking, I cant see a great race atmosphere at either the Humbert or the lost sheep as they have a very rural setting. I just cant see them bringing the crowds.. Tri Athlone mid distance I have heard nothing about and it is also in its first year this year, so I dont even know if it will take off, numbers wise. I have heard no hype surrounding it nor I have I seen them marketing the race any great form or fashion.. Athy looks attractive and I always read good accounts from boardsies who have raced there but as silly as it sounds, its not the standard 70.3 distance (1.9k, 90k, 21k) which bugs me a little as I wanted to gauge my improvements from last year in galway.. Now that being said, it might not necessarily put me off choosing it as my mid distance event for this year.

Anyway would love to hear some comments, suggestions or feedback from other individuals that have tackled these mid distance races in the past and what they thought in terms of race atmosphere, cost,value for money, or pro`s and con`s of any particular race you may have done...

cheers... :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

I am in for Humbert myself mainly due to the race reports and positive feedback on here.

A race where organisers did a preview write up shows the passion and builds the atmosphere in my opinion.

Ill be travelling down from Dublin so not exactly convenient, but one I want to do as its a 70.3, has a great reputation, seems to be organised well and anyone who I spoke to had only positives to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭ChickenBalls

Good thread to open, doing a HIM myself - Humbert looks good but I do see a big climb in both the cycle and run but probably to be expected and unavoidable in Mayo! I'm living in Wicklow and I'm more than likely going to do the Skerries HIM - anyone know much about this one regards what they think of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

As my mother says when she goes to the odd local race - its not the best spectator sport I have ever seen, I only see you briefly 3 times if I am lucky. Unless the triathlon has a big participation where you will get family showing up it can be pretty much a dead spot. Not one of my mates went and looked at the Galway 70.3 even though it was outside their doorstep, Killorans/Lonergans and the odd ciggie outside was their only viewing of the race......Liverpool was on the tv :rolleyes:

Can only comment on the Humbert.

Pros
    • Good atmosphere around transition with participants , approx 200 or so. Parking available right beside it
    • registration allowed on morning of race which is handy and cheaper on the pocket.
    • 80 euros so compared to the 200 + of Galway its good value
    • Organisation is excellent, they will forget nothing
    • Good course - swim section is lovely you wont have done a nicer one - with it being a sheltered lake it is always pancake flat - good viewing platform for supporters
    • Bike is overall fast except for one monster hill in the middle - good surface - Great scenery
    • Local kids man many of the aid stations - their enthusiasm for the task is a nice touch
    • One wave which I like, I cant stand waves
    • Free Meal after is pretty decent fare
    • Money goes back into community - I think in funding for a running track last year
    • Not greedy - they will only take around 250 entrants as they don't have the capacity to handle any more
    Cons

• Run is rolling and point to point which can be lonely - I think they should double back or two loops and finish in transition but I assume they try and finish in Swinford town for logistics, parking, supporters. They have a bus running between finish and transititon
    • There is a section of the run course on the main road, its safe as there is a cordoned off hard shoulder while you will get some cars beeping in support - some stretches of this section will be as far as the eye can see, tough if you are reduced to a walk, not so bad if you are going well and can see a line of hopefully fading rivals ahead of you
    • Support - while there seems to be more support every year, you are not going to be running through throngs of cheering fans like you would at an Ironman event
    I have done Athy but not the Double Olympic - the opposite in many ways to the Humbert, huge numbers and a massive logistical challenge I would think for the organisers.

Shadowman seems to be very low key - perhaps they reckon once the Triathlone machine kicks into action they will drum up interest

I would imagine the Lost Sheep would be similar to the Humbert in many ways, seems to be always hugely popular

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭onimpulse

Humbert definitely gets my vote after doing it last year.

The swim is fantastic... a hands down winner on every other option you mentioned, in fact after 5 years of triathlon this has to be my favourite swim course bar none. Its in a lake and is out around an island in the middle and back again. Doesn't get too crowded and spectators can get a great view of the whole swim from the hill beside transition.

If you are worried about a hilly cycle the hill in the Humbert isn't a patch on the hills in the lost sheep. There is really only one hill to speak of in Humbert and it's not so bad. The rest of the course is pretty fast with good surfaces as has been said.

The run is fine... there are plenty of aid stations with very enthuastic kids at them and you won't be on your own on the road. The way the local community get involved and support this race is unlike anything I've seen anywhere else. You have locals out in the middle of nowhere on the bike course manning junctions, kids on aid stations great support in the town - it really does feel like the town stops for the weekend of the race and they all get behind it.

I did Athy once and wouldnt' go back - maybe just a personal thing but that river is horrendous to swim in, the bike course is boring and not great surfaces and the run was on a terrible surface that you'd be lucky no to break an ankle on. That was my experience of it anyway.

The Lost Sheep - I wouldn't be so keen on the swim there given stories I've heard from previous years and the bike is very hilly if you're worried about hills.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

catweazle wrote: »
    [*]There is a section of the run course on the main road, its safe as there is a cordoned off hard shoulder while you will get some cars beeping in support - some stretches of this section will be as far as the eye can see, tough if you are reduced to a walk, not so bad if you are going well and can see a fading Catweazle ahead of you.

FYP.

There seems to be a few boardsies heading up to Humbert this year too.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I've only done Athy Double Oly, I liked it, the river has a few shallows but no worse than any other river I've been in, last year it had a lot of weed that people got snagged in, which was distracting more than a real problem. Bike course can be congested and has a few 180 degree turns. The run is along the river path, and this can get very congested when the Oly race hits it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Humbert Challange Mayo : only heard good things
    Shadow Man Tri Athlone : Athlone....... not a great reputation
    The lost sheep Kerry : great race, bad registration (when race located in back ar$e nowhere cutting registration at 2100 on the Friday is a sh1t idea)
    Athy Double Olympic : I liked it

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭wideball

I've registered for Humbert Half based on reports here and beyond. Looks like a good course.

I've done Lost Sheep 3 times and love that race even with the previous swim issues. Great course and town for a race.

I've did the 1st Galway 70.3 but I prefer Lost Sheep race. Not a fan of Athy, swim, congestion, etc although it was the Olympic race I did twice. I was part of a relay for the Tri an Mhi race in its 1st year, and was well organised. Transition is perfect for it.

Good well organised club halves are more than a match for Ironman halves, not to mention the difference in cost.

Most important thing about Lost Sheep - JAM!

Jam?

• Advertisement

Oryx wrote: »
    Jam?

Go to Bakery shop in the town and one of the sponsors the race. Honourable mention for Prego as well for food.. mmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

I loved the Lost Sheep, a great cycle but the run is soul destroying.

Athy i won't comment on;)

Humbert i'm in for and this thread is bringing a smile to my face !

I have yet to do a HIM where the run wasn't soul destroying.

Run course is tough, lumpy in parts especially when you are tired. But fair overall. First year I did it was a very warm day. On the return part of the run, an ambulance was fishing a few lads off the road who succumbed to the heat/effort. Bit unnerving at the time..

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭subscriber

Wow, overwhelming support for Humbert this year..

As regards choosing a race with a tough course or hilly cycle, this doesn't bother me. Obviously a PB would be nice on the day, but not essential .As long as its an enjoyable day with a good atmosphere and half decent organisation I would be content in myself.

Athlone - I agree with tunney when he says bed reputation. I have had bad experiences here in the past myself and would not be jumping at the chance to go back.

The lost sheep - A lot of people have mentioned problems with the swim in previous years but have not mentioned what the problems have been?

Athy double - Starting to shy away from it based on comments here and the added fact that I would like to compare performance from last year over the proper 70.3 distance.

Humbert - Hearing nothing but good things so far which I think is swaying me in that direction. Would anyone have Garmin date from Humbert from previous years that I could have a look at??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

subscriber wrote: »
    Wow, overwhelming support for Humbert this year..

As regards choosing a race with a tough course or hilly cycle, this doesn't bother me. Obviously a PB would be nice on the day, but not essential .As long as its an enjoyable day with a good atmosphere and half decent organisation I would be content in myself.

Athlone - I agree with tunney when he says bed reputation. I have had bad experiences here in the past myself and would not be jumping at the chance to go back.

The lost sheep - A lot of people have mentioned problems with the swim in previous years but have not mentioned what the problems have been?

Athy double - Starting to shy away from it based on comments here and the added fact that I would like to compare performance from last year over the proper 70.3 distance.

Humbert - Hearing nothing but good things so far which I think is swaying me in that direction. Would anyone have Garmin date from Humbert from previous years that I could have a look at??

No race is ever a "proper" 70.30 distance.

Lost sheep swim - cold and strong current

If you have illusions/delusions of ironman the Athy swim is telling

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭subscriber

tunney wrote: »
    No race is ever a "proper" 70.30 distance.

Lost sheep swim - cold and strong current

If you have illusions/delusions of ironman the Athy swim is telling

I knew someone would pull me up on this ha! Of course I can appreciate it`s not going to be the exact 70.3 distance nor would any race be the exact distance, but it is at least close enough in length compared with last year to allow me to measure performance improvement in some respects.

subscriber wrote: »
    I knew someone would pull me up on this ha! Of course I can appreciate it`s not going to be the exact 70.3 distance nor would any race be the exact distance, but it is at least close enough in length compared with last year to allow me to measure performance improvement in some respects.

And the temperature changes?

Wind changes?

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

Anyone know if entries for Humbert half iron are still available? Am potentially looking at a new mid distance race given the date change for the Lost Sheep but the link on the Swinford site doesn't work (bad gateway?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Anyone know if entries for Humbert half iron are still available? Am potentially looking at a new mid distance race given the date change for the Lost Sheep but the link on the Swinford site doesn't work (bad gateway?)

From the Humbert Challenge facebook page:
    Entries to both Humbert Challenges are temporarily suspended due to technical fault with hosting company. It is expected that matter will be rectified today Wednesday 5/6/13. Swinford Tri regret any inconvenience caused.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

Nice one, cheers for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭The Davestator

BUMP

Was asking the same question of myself and had decided on the Humbert. However, I checked their site and they're only running a standard Tri this year.

Whats the next best?!
    Tri an Mhi, Double Athy, Shadowman?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Skerries HIM gone this year too. Are there any new ones to fill the void or are we losing races?

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭rodneyr1981

BUMP

Was asking the same question of myself and had decided on the Humbert. However, I checked their site and they're only running a standard Tri this year.

Whats the next best?!
    Tri an Mhi, Double Athy, Shadowman?

Thanks

Did the shadowman last year and couldn't fault it. Well organised. Swim in lake was nice. Bike and run flat and fast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

I'm going for Shadowman, i did want to do Humbert but its gone and time of Lost Sheep doesn't suit with my little lad starting school.

Did the shadowman last year and couldn't fault it. Well organised. Swim in lake was nice. Bike and run flat and fast.

How many did it and was the standard higher than a 'normal race'? I looked at it last year and got the feeling it was at the more elite end of the HIM?

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭rodneyr1981

How many did it and was the standard higher than a 'normal race'? I looked at it last year and got the feeling it was the more elite end of the HIM?

Did swinford last year too and didn't notice any difference regarding elite etc. There was a full IM being run on same day alright. At the end of the day im only racing my watch! Would need to dig results but think there was about 200. Prob be more this year with swinford changing to olyp.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

feedback from Shadowman last year
    Overall good, some twicks required

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056971434&page=4

• Advertisement

Abhainn wrote: »
    feedback from Shadowman last year
    Overall good, some twicks required

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056971434&page=4

Excellent - thanks for the link. I'm hoping that the feedback here will be put in place as I think its the one for me.

Advertisement