Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In Canada and activating your new IEC?

Options
  • 28-03-2013 12:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭

Just found out that your original SIN number expires with your old work permit. You'll have to go down to your local Service Canada and get a new one.

Not much hassle tho, just bring your passport with your new work permit attached and your old SIN. They'll issue you your new number on the spot (for free) and your card will be in the post.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

And if you're in Ontario you need to do the same at service ontario for your OHIP card renewal

• Registered Users Posts: 11 meehan12345

im going to canada in july using an iec 1 year visa will my sin number be allocated to me when i clear customs when i land there or what is the story with if not how do i go about in getting it?

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Calgary22

No it wont you have to go to your local services Canada a quick Google will give you all the abswes you need;-)

alrite cheers have ya any idea how long it takes to come through,will i have to be paying emergency tax on anything i earn until it has come through?

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Calgary22

You will be giving a number on the spot and a card will be sent to ya in a few days.no you won't have to as you will have your number straight away lol

• Advertisement

alrite sound just wondering what way it works over there,ya have to be on emergency tax when ya first start working over here before your tax credits come through taught it could be something similar over there 2

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭smokeyjoe123

Tonto86 wrote: »
    Just found out that your original SIN number expires with your old work permit. You'll have to go down to your local Service Canada and get a new one.

Not much hassle tho, just bring your passport with your new work permit attached and your old SIN. They'll issue you your new number on the spot (for free) and your card will be in the post.

When the original SIN expires, just head to the Service Canada office and they can just extend the expiry date on the old one, dosen't make a difference what work permit you have. This way you can have the same SIN throughout your stay in Canada, just makes it easier for employers etc. SIN numbers are normally issued to you straight away, on a printout. It's only the number you need, the card isn't of much use.

Advertisement