Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How the exams should be corrected.

• 28-03-2013 1:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭

On the 22nd of June, every teacher in the country should be sat down in halls similar to the exam centres. If every teacher was given a pile of 40 exams, they would be done in one day, and could theoretically "earn" their summer wages.

Pros:
    - Save huge money on corrections
    - Exams corrected extremely quickly

Cons:
    - Higher chance of incompetent correctors.

Opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭kingcobra

Not a bad idea, however I wish you the very best of luck in getting teachers to agree with that :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

Prodigious wrote: »
    Cons:
    - Higher chance of incompetent correctors.

This con out weighs any possible pros.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

This con out weighs any possible pros.

That chance is already there. What tests do teachers have to do to become correctors?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

That chance is already there. What tests do teachers have to do to become correctors?

None afaik

They're given a marking scheme and expected to mark according to it.

But if you force every teacher to correct, a huge amount of them won't want to and this could bring the standards of correcting down significantly lower than incompetent teachers signing up to correct it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

That chance is already there.

The chance is already there and many correctors are below the standard required but forcing teachers to correct as well as rushing them to be finished in one day is just asking for trouble.

The only benefit is the potential of saving money, which isn't even guaranteed. Regardless of that, I don't really care about how much money it would save. I want the exams corrected as efficiently as possible.

• Advertisement

Giving a few hundred to a thousand scripts to one person to correct definitely does not ensure efficiency.

As well as that, correctors should definitely have to correct in a monitored environment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

On the 22nd of June, every teacher in the country should be sat down in halls similar to the exam centres. If every teacher was given a pile of 40 exams, they would be done in one day ....
    This would result in:
    - A huge influx of inexperienced examiners the first year / two
    - Much bigger problems re: consistency across the exams simply by having so many more examiners, even after they had gained experience
    - Much bigger job for the advising examiners / assistant chief in trying to cross-moderate to ensure a consistent standard
    - The original examiners would not be available to remark / adjust if needed under your system

Here's my guess: it would take longer in the end.

- Holding multiple marking conferences for each subject to accommodate the numbers
    - The amount of time involved in cross-moderating between so many examiners

Also remember that the actual period during which examiners correct is only a part of the time between LC and results.

There are a number of stages:

- Sampling of scripts and correcting by assistant chief and advising examiners
    - Finalising marking schemes in the light of the results of the previous stage
    - Holding marking conferences, and distributing scripts to assistant examiners
    - Correction by assistant examiners; ongoing monitoring and feedback from advising examiners; sometimes re- correction or adjustment by assistant examiners in the light of this feedback
    - Return of scripts and marks to the SEC
    - Input of results for all subjects
    - Transmission of results to schools
    - Release of results for all subjects on the same day

Edit: Oh, and it couldn't happen on the 22nd of June anyway; see stages 1-3 above! :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,237 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I'm still at work on 22nd June.

spurious wrote: »
    I'm still at work on 22nd June.

Why?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,237 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Because I have plenty work to do in the school that I can't get done when classes are in. I'm not alone either being in our school during June - and I'm not talking about those involved in the exams. I generally finish first week of July and am back from just before the results come out mid August. I get 6 weeks holidays according to my contract.

Do you think schools are empty in June? You should visit one and see.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

My business teacher who we thought was one of the chief examiners told us this strict steps for being a Lc examiner. You must have corrected junior cert for years and be constant and a good quality marker before they even consider you for the Lc.

Even than the senior examiners are constantly asking for a sample of your exam papers to see how you are correcting them. Plus if you force people to correct papers moral will be **** and therefore the standard of correcting will be ****

Advertisement