Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Driving a classic home from the Uk

• 28-03-2013 1:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭

I may be buying a classic that is just gone 31 years old, has anyone ever drove one back to Ireland from England, how did yee fair with an irish insurance company providing insurance? Would the fact that is on an english plate stop me getting insurance for the trip? The car will be motd and taxed.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭The Gride

kermitpwee wrote: »
    I may be buying a classic that is just gone 31 years old, has anyone ever drove one back to Ireland from England, how did yee fair with an irish insurance company providing insurance? Would the fact that is on an english plate stop me getting insurance for the trip? The car will be motd and taxed.

Thanks

Just make sure you have your documentation with you especially an original insurance certificate( not a photocopy or e mail ). The uk police can easily detect that the car is not insured on the uk database. It might well work out cheaper to get someone to collect it for you with the price of the ferry and all. I can pm you a few numbers if you need them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭The Gride

Sorry, forgot to say the Uk plates are not a problem for an Irish insurance company. They will give you cover on a temporary basis to allow you collect in Uk and go through the registration process. They usually allow a month or so to do this.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Yeah. Just flew over and drove home.. Most Irish insurers will cover you for 30 days on UK plates.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

No problem getting Irish insurance sorted.
    No problem being 33 years old.
    No problem it being on UK plates.
    No problem sailrailing over to collect then driving Slough - Dover - Calais - Paris - Nevers - Brussels - Eindhoven - Bonn - Hook of Holland - Harwich - Abingdon - Holyhead - Dublin and home.

Insurers can add it as long as they wish. If insured on foreign plates in excess of 42 days they are obliged to grass you up to the Revenue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Mot & tax are required as well, make sure the seller gives you the full V5, he should advise DVLA by letter that the car has been exported.

• Advertisement

V5C. The V5 was discontinued with the EU model Vehicle Registration Certificate.

The front page (sections 1 to 8) has all the details you need if the seller is getting silly about it. The rear page is just tear-off notification slips for different things.

(What causes confusion is the seller is meant to keep and send off 1-8 for a domestic sale and to discharge their responsibility as registered keeper.)

You might want to print off the relevant page of the DVLA booklet INS160 which details what the buyer/seller do in the case of an export sale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Take it handy on the A55. ;):D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Leave yourself plenty of time. I broke a few landspeed records (and an alternator belt) trying to catch a sailing time when bringing home my car.

An accident just after the Britannia Bridge scuppered us and we had to spend an evening in Holyhead. You don't want to spend an evening in Holyhead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Dades wrote: »
    You don't want to spend an evening in Holyhead.

+1 on that and if you go via Fishguard that's even worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Most Insurance companies will allow a temp transfer to a UK reg car....Quinn (now liberty) will not insure anything over 20 years old, and consequently will not let you do a temp transfer onto a classic.
    Myself and my son drove an MG back from Torquay about 5 years ago.Great craic chancing it with an unseen Ebay €1,200 purchase:).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭kermitpwee

Thanks lads, great advice here. Now to win the feckin auction, oh yeah Baby!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭w124man

Ill second the 'take it handy on A55' in Flintshire.

w124man wrote: »
    Ill second the 'take it handy on A55' in Flintshire.

What I will be driving back won't have a problem with speeding!! Old skool diesel!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

W123? :)

unkel wrote: »
    W123? :)

Nope but Germanic:D

A glof [sic] diesel would be pretty wheezy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭Testacalda

be sure to post a photo when you get it

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Well, did you win the auction?!

No! I went 2650 sterling on a mk1 golf diesel 3 door, auction was one at 2700. Just the way the cookie crumbles. Gutted:( Bid over what I had planned as well:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭PyeContinental

I hope you feel better about losing the auction now, considering that you would have over extended yourself and paid more than you wanted to. Someone else saved you, if you think about it. Something else better will turn up if you have patience.

Controversial paragraph here: I don't think there's anything inherently special or deserving of such a price for a diesel Golf, and even more controversially, I personaly think the Golf GTi (both classic and modern MKs) are overrated :eek: . I think there are and were cars that were just as good if not better, but did not/do not catch the zeitgeist for whatever reasons.

• Advertisement

I hope you feel better about losing the auction now, considering that you would have over extended yourself and paid more than you wanted to. Someone else saved you, if you think about it. Something else better will turn up if you have patience.

Controversial paragraph here: I don't think there's anything inherently special or deserving of such a price for a diesel Golf, and even more controversially, I personaly think the Golf GTi (both classic and modern MKs) are overrated :eek: . I think there are and were cars that were just as good if not better, but did not/do not catch the zeitgeist for whatever reasons.

I guess that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I am crazy about old diesels, I love their simplicity, the noise, the reliability, the frugality. The mk1 I bid on was a very good one and I should have bid more tbh. It will only rise in value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭oceanman

the 1.5 diesel in some of the mk1s was not a great engine. heads used to go quite often on them.

oceanman wrote: »
    the 1.5 diesel in some of the mk1s was not a great engine. heads used to go quite often on them.

Ya the 1.5 was in the early golfs alrite, now anyone have an early 1.5 diesel to sell me!!

I guess that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I am crazy about old diesels, I love their simplicity, the noise, the reliability, the frugality. The mk1 I bid on was a very good one and I should have bid more tbh. It will only rise in value.
    Ah yeah, I didn't mean to denigrate the choice of car you love. I suppose I just slightly resent the huge following that Golfs have and the almost unanimous reverence that VWs seem to have. The money that anything dubber related seems to command is always very strong, and apparently there's nothing in even very poor condition that doesn't seem to go for a surprising amount of money.

I know the Golf GTi defined its segment, and can even be credited with creating the segment, but maybe I'm also aggrieved that other worthy cars such as the Kadette/Astra GTE & GSi, Renault 19 16V, Peugeot 205 and 309 GTi, Honda CRX and others don't seem to get the plaudits they deserve in equal measure.

I'd consider an Alfa 33 Cloverleaf or Alfasud, or a Fiat Ritmo Abarth much more special than a Golf GTi and I wish I could see these kinds old hot hatches more often.

Anyway, sorry for the off-topic near-rant :) I hope something better turns up for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭oceanman

I'd consider an Alfa 33 Cloverleaf or Alfasud, or a Fiat Ritmo Abarth much more special than a Golf GTi and I wish I could see these kinds old hot hatches more often.
    dont think too many would agree with you!

oceanman wrote: »

dont think too many would agree with you!
    Hence the reason for my resentment and frustration :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭w124man

No! I went 2650 sterling on a mk1 golf diesel 3 door, auction was one at 2700. Just the way the cookie crumbles. Gutted:( Bid over what I had planned as well:D

I would love a Mk1 Diesel Jetta ........ :D

I understand!

w124man wrote: »
    I would love a Mk1 Diesel Jetta ........ :D

I understand!

I actually have a mk1 Jetta diesel 4 speed. Never sell it.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭piston

Haven't seen a MK1 Jetta in at least ten years. Shame really. I also have a fondness for the 1.5/1.6D Golf family.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

An elderly neighbour of mine has one of the very first golf diesels from new.
    She has only owned 3 cars in over 60 years, an Austin 7, and a 50's Morris Oxford which was her dads.
    She's currently off the road on docters orders but is hoping to get back driving again.
    She's a gas old lady, when she was a child her dad taught her to drive, any time she saw anything with the keys in the ignition, she'd hop in and take it for a little spin.

Advertisement