Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not Getting Paid

Options
  • 28-03-2013 5:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I started with a guy last week scaffolding work on ABN , done a full weeks work he was to pay me last fri but still hasn't paid us ! Iv heard nothing from him since last fri and it now looks like he's bunked me ! I don't know where he lives and I don't know his surname , anyone know what my options are ? Cheers

* this is in Perth by the way

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Go back to site. demand payment

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Go back to site. demand payment

-Inform site formeman as to the situation (most will deem this as most uncool, as it also reflects poorly on their judgement of using this spanner in the first place).
    -Ask for his full name and also if business or postal address is known.
    -Use the Internet to your full advantage, use sites sites, blogs what ever.

Here is a starter for you
    http://www.jackcola.org/blog/209-how-to-stalk-find-people-in-australia-how-to-find-someones-name-address-and-phone-number

• Registered Users Posts: 36 JohnC83

If you are on ABN surely you should have some sort of a contract if this guy has asked you to do a job for him. I dont mean to have a go at you but if you are operating as a business (which you should be if your on ABN) you should have more information than just his first name. Hopefully you will get it sorted but maybe next time get something down on paper before you agree to work for a stranger

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Depending on who the work was for... the following may apply.(definite on govt. projects)

He as a subcontractor may have to fill out a stat dec. stating that he has paid all his creditors/subcontractors before he is entitled to payment.

If this is the case and he fills out a false stat. dec then you have recourse. but it may take ages going back through the head contractor on site.
    alternative is ABN lookup, which may help you track him down.

As a Subcontractor, you would most likely be on 30 day trading terms in any case (aside from the verbal Friday payment agreed)

I hate to be negative, but you really need to do your homework when going ABN, or you will get burned like this from time to time.

Particularly where you are signing off on scaffolding etc. You'd better have your bases covered indemnity wise etc. or you could very easily end up behind bars.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Same thing happened to me, i got onto FWO to help me but they couldn't do much cos of the ABN, they only have authority to help employees!!
    I'm still not giving up, going down media route and even debating of setting a debt collector on the guy who ripped me off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭IrishLad2012

This happened a mate of mine,he was working as a brickie,didn't get paid for 5 weeks,had no address or name.Luckily about 6 weeks later,he seen the same guy advertising for Brickwork wanted in the Western Australian,so we rang him on a different number and priced the job for him,the day we were due to start,my mate and about 6 others arrived demanding he pay what was owed to my mate,strangely he drove to a bank and paid my mate in full.

So my advice is watch gumtree and the papers for similiar adverts.Also an Aussie guy told us before,construction in Perth is so tight knit,you will always meet someone who knows someone,hope this helps.Don't lose hope.

Advertisement