Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super and Tax Back Claim Confusion

Options
  • 28-03-2013 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,

So I've returned home now to the homeland and have begun the process of claiming my super and tax back, but my god I'm confused. I have read over some previous threads about it but have yet to see a similar stance as mine.

Basically, my Visa has now expired so I didnt need to contact Hobart to cancel it. Now I have looked at Taxb%ck.com's website but they seem extortionate! I applied online via eTax last year and was a piece of cake. But it seems it is not as handy when applying from outside the country and before the July time.

Anyone any experience of doing it or any advice?

I am also looking at my Super but don't even know where to start with that one. Taxb%ck.com were charging 20% plus handling fee..... :(

I know I could get the forms filled out for the company above, but sure I have to go off and get everything certified myself anyway, so I can' see what I pay them for!

Any views or advice much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Do a search for leave early tax, plenty of info. Essentially just fill out a tax form like last year print it out - cross off 2012 and put down 2013, fill out a cover letter and get presto done.

As for super - never done it but others have.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

You should try these guys:

http://www.taxbackaustralia.com.au//content_common/pg-superrefunds.seo

I used them last year for my tax return. Very quick to get back to me with any queries I had, I thought they were very professional. They only charge a flat rate as well, not a % of your return. Think it cost something like $100 - which they then claim off your tax refund.

I know I could done it myself but when your looking at paperwork that could net you thousands of dollars (I received over 4K when they did my tax return) I prefer to just let the pro's do it and have that piece of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Gregsor

I tried to cash in on my super on the last return home and was told i needed to surrender my Visa first which still had a year left on it,lucky i didn't do that as i decided to come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭master-t

Thanks for the advice folks! Much appreciated.

Aye, I did a search but people seemed to be still there or no one had done their super yet.

I will enquire with that company Mark and see what they are about. Still a lump in throat paying someone to do something I could do myself :)

Anyone any experience with super refunds after they left Oz?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭richiee

I'm in Australia ATM. I would suggest getting an accountant here to look into getting you your tax back. You can do that via email. Regarding the super refund, you do know that the Aussie government will hold over half of it in tax. If you have to pay a further 20% to someone to actually get it back you will loose a fortune.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 lavelle72

richiee wrote: »
    Regarding the super refund, you do know that the Aussie government will hold over half of it in tax.

Half? I thought it was 30%?

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Legend100

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭richiee

lavelle72 wrote: »
    Half? I thought it was 30%?

I'm with SunSuper. I rang them about a month ago regarding this. The guy I spoke to told me that I'd be taxed on on the amount in the super at the same rate as I pay tax on my wages, which works out at around 27% plus another tax because I'm taking the money out earlier than usual. I forget the rate but I know it worked out that if i had 10k in it I would come away with around 4750. Thats what they told me so if its nt true then I was advised wrongly.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Carlosd

You lose effectively 50pc of your super to the tax office and in exit fees to the super fund

richiee wrote: »
    I'm with SunSuper. I rang them about a month ago regarding this. The guy I spoke to told me that I'd be taxed on on the amount in the super at the same rate as I pay tax on my wages, which works out at around 27% plus another tax because I'm taking the money out earlier than usual. I forget the rate but I know it worked out that if i had 10k in it I would come away with around 4750. Thats what they told me so if its nt true then I was advised wrongly.

Advertisement