Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What are the chances of a reply from Enda Kenny?

• 28-03-2013 11:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭

I sent an email to Enda Kenny yesterday asking for help on a matter that I cannot find a solution to on my own.

What are the chances that he will reply or even get to read it for that matter?

Am I naive in thinking that he reads emails sent to him from the public?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,472 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

You will get response from his staff but in general they do work on these requests, not just send out a stardard bullsh1t reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭another question

mickdw wrote: »
    You will get response from his staff but in general they do work on these requests, not just send out a stardard bullsh1t reply.

I'm just short on time, if I sent it yesterday evening when do you I would get a reply or would I be better going to a local TD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭Wildlife Actor

Why not write to a doctor or a dentist or an accountant or a friend if you've got a problem? The Taoiseach should be dealing with national or major regional issues, as should all other TDs. Why should his staff have to spend time even reading letters about individual problems, let alone having to write replies (bullsh!t or not) to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Why not write to a doctor or a dentist or an accountant or a friend if you've got a problem? The Taoiseach should be dealing with national or major regional issues, as should all other TDs. Why should his staff have to spend time even reading letters about individual problems, let alone having to write replies (bullsh!t or not) to them.

Do individuals not vote?
    Are they so far below Enda that he has no time to answer a query?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Do individuals not vote?

Well he won't be the quickest in responding to what may be an urgent, personal problem. For all we know the OP may be attempting to break a record for having a pint in a different country of the world everyday for a year and inconveniently is in Ireland today needing to continue their record-breaking attempt!

Well he won't be the quickest in responding to what may be an urgent, personal problem. For all we know the OP may be attempting to break a record for having a pint in a different country of the world everyday for a year and inconveniently is in Ireland today needing to continue their record-breaking attempt!

I'd hardly think he e-mailed him for that in fairness :rolleyes:

Do individuals not vote?

You've linked the "so far below" thing to the "no time" thing. You know well there's no link. EK is no "higher" nor "lower" than anyone else. In fact he's just an eejit like most of them. But if he has an obligation to read and reply to OP's letter, then he has an obligation to deal with everyone's problems. To use your own mode of argument, is OP so important that somebody must stop doing their v busy job to answer his personal queries?

You've linked the "so far below" thing to the "no time" thing. You know well there's no link. EK is no "higher" nor "lower" than anyone else. In fact he's just an eejit like most of them. But if he has an obligation to read and reply to OP's letter, then he has an obligation to deal with everyone's problems. To use your own mode of argument, is OP so important that somebody must stop doing their v busy job to answer his personal queries?

Would he not have a staff for that purpose?
    Staff member receives e-mail then asks Enda or his nearest assistant and then replies to OP.

You're missing the point. Everybody's got "a problem" of some kind. A sore tooth and you go to the dentist. A pothole and you go to the roads department in the council. A business idea and you go to your bank or whoever. The taoiseach's department isn't the problem fixing department. The state is not your daddy.

Therefore, quite apart form the fact that the staff would have to contain a few thousand people to deal with everybody's problem (assuming of course that OP is not any more important than anyone else), the taoiseach should not have to have staff for that purpose. Half of the staff that are there probably spend their time dealing with letters like this. And yes, Enda probably does "fix" problems in response to such letters: in the proudest tradition of irish political clientelism. Send a letter of recommendation. Get Constituent A ahead of everybody else on the housing list, get constituent B a grant though he doesn't meet the criteria etc etc.

• Advertisement

You're missing the point. Everybody's got "a problem" of some kind. A sore tooth and you go to the dentist. A pothole and you go to the roads department in the council. A business idea and you go to your bank or whoever. The taoiseach's department isn't the problem fixing department. The state is not your daddy.

Therefore, quite apart form the fact that the staff would have to contain a few thousand people to deal with everybody's problem (assuming of course that OP is not any more important than anyone else), the taoiseach should not have to have staff for that purpose. Half of the staff that are there probably spend their time dealing with letters like this. And yes, Enda probably does "fix" problems in response to such letters: in the proudest tradition of irish political clientelism. Send a letter of recommendation. Get Constituent A ahead of everybody else on the housing list, get constituent B a grant though he doesn't meet the criteria etc etc.

But we don't know the OP's problem and have to assume it's a political question he wants answered. I don't suppose Enda gets that many e-mails as I nor any of my family/friends have ever e-mailed him.

OP, tell us your problem! Worried about the impact of the proposed Cyprus bailout terms vs your alternative? Or is one of the ministers doing something naughty behind Enda's back?

Here's the Department's Mission statement:

"To provide the Government Taoiseach and Ministers of State with the support policy advice and information necessary for the effective conduct of Government and for the dynamic leadership co-ordination and strategic direction of Government policy"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

I'd hardly think he e-mailed him for that in fairness :rolleyes:

No but I would hardly expect him to be ready to respond to a query in short time. He has more important things to be doing, I would hope, than responding to fan mail from Joe Soap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Unfortunately, the central government decides all these things because, in Ireland, they make most of the decisions. There's no point writing to the Mayor of Dublin about the Luas or to Limerick Co. Co. about schools, because it's the central govt that controls the purse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

I sent an email to Enda Kenny yesterday asking for help on a matter that I cannot find a solution to on my own.

What are the chances that he will reply or even get to read it for that matter?

Am I naive in thinking that he reads emails sent to him from the public?
    I'm sure his staff read all the email that he receives and will respond with a template reply and forward the mail to the relevant Department.
    You would be naïve to think he doesn't have a filter for his mails and deals with them personally.

On, the query itself, if you are emailing Edna Kenny directly, its an indication that you really haven't made much of an effort to find the solution on your own.

Advertisement