Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

200 new jobs for Waterford in Nypro

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

7upfree wrote: »
    The problem is, twistables, that a lot of FG fanboys jump on these types of threads. Always.

Is that any different to the other side sticking the knife in over in the negitive threads?

I miss the days when this forum when this was for discussion of current events or banter and people left political bias in the politics forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

ziedth wrote: »
    Is that any different to the other side sticking the knife in over in the negitive threads?

I miss the days when this forum when this was for discussion of current events or banter and people left political bias in the politics forum.
    So many threads get highjacked by politics. It can be so irritating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭PremierDeise

Bit of a typo on the RTE website :):)
    "The company is investing €60 in the Waterford facility, with the jobs coming on stream over the next two years."
    They've screwed us over :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

Bit of a typo on the RTE website :):)
    "The company is investing €60 in the Waterford facility, with the jobs coming on stream over the next two years."
    They've screwed us over :D:D:D

:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭tankbarry

You need qualifications for all the jobs .. very high end jobs I was hoping that some they could train you up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭hellfireie

Surely there will be some entry level jobs in them 200 not all top level.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭jad2007

The jobs that are being posted are whats needed in early stages to set up manufacturing e.g engineers and managers.

Once the fit out is complete they will need a variety of roles filled.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

jad2007 wrote: »
    The jobs that are being posted are whats needed in early stages to set up manufacturing e.g engineers and managers.

Once the fit out is complete they will need a variety of roles filled.

Theres surely production jobs going, same as the likes of the jobs that are filled in Genzyme and Baush and Lomb, They will hire production operatives that will be trained on the job, I suppose they will be bring production staff with them from wexford or where ever to get them off the ground!

After seeing a BBC1 panorama investigates about theatre operating tools being made at the side of the road in pakistan and india i will be glad to see them being made INDOORS in Waterford, The tricks they get upto to certify the instruments being made in Germany is unreal, they buy metal thats mixed into their own metal at 2 percent say the 2 percent is from germany they stamp the tools made in germany then, the practice is thought to be one of the major reasons for the spread of MRSA, must find a youtube link if im allowed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

I suppose all the employees who were laid off a few years ago will get first preference on the jobs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Excellent news. High quality well paid jobs, plus the local resources they will probably employ for cleaning, landscaping, canteen etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭decies

Where's John Deasy ?? Could we have a find the Deasy competition ???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

decies wrote: »
    Where's John Deasy ?? Could we have a find the Deasy competition ???

That name rings a bell, but I just cant place it.:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Delighted that there is positive news for a change and a significant jobs boost for our great city. Thank You Nypro and the IDA for considering and choosing Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

excellent news, we need more like it, its a good start, hopefully jobs will start kicking in soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

shockwave wrote: »
    I suppose all the employees who were laid off a few years ago will get first preference on the jobs.

Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Anynama141

The problem is, twistables, that a lot of FG fanboys jump on these types of threads. Always.
    FG fanboys? WTF? Why would a fanboy suggest that the current government isn't great due to our crap electorate? The coalition (it's not an FG government, just so you know) got in because people thought they could vote away national bankruptcy. Now that they learn they can't, they are swinging back towards the corrupt fools who bankrupted us in the first place. :confused:

Waterford is just a microcosm of the whole country - we need to stop looking for easy answers, regardless of whether those easy answers are coming from Labour or FG or (more usually) FF.

Anyway, apologies to all for going O/T with this on what should be a positive thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

shockwave wrote: »

The majority of employees were laid off in 2004 (9 years ago), with the rest going the following year. Most (including me) will have moved on to other things by now.

Besides, the jobs announced today are for a completely different product (medical devices vs printer cartridges). Can't imagine there'd be much benefit to them hiring former employees.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭..Brian..

Any guesses as to what the general ops wages will be like? Could we hope for something as high as €11 or €12 per hour?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

..Brian.. wrote: »
    Any guesses as to what the general ops wages will be like? Could we hope for something as high as €11 or €12 per hour?

Pharmaceutical so I'd certainly imagine so. I wonder how skilled the work force Will have to be for the majority of the jobs. With so many former manufacturing staff out of work I'll say they'll put some team together

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 Kellzer

hellfireie wrote: »
    Surely there will be some entry level jobs in them 200 not all top level.

The majority of the jobs will be unskilled minimum wage assembly work I would think. The 14 jobs that are advertised are probably the only 'high end' jobs that require 3rd level qualifications and they are looking to fill these now I would guess. They can fill the rest quickly I'm sure when they need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Anynama141 wrote: »
    I wonder will those who were laying into to coalition for not 'doing anything for Waterford' will be as loud in their praise for their efforts to secure these jobs?

No, I thought not.

Will you stop with that nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Anynama141

lertsnim wrote: »
    Will you stop with that nonsense.
    I did, but you raised it again. Just pointing out some hypocrisy and negativity I've noticed in Waterford.

My own view is that the current government deserves no credit for the new jobs, and no blame for the pre-existing lack of jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Speckydodge

..Brian.. wrote: »

They're a multinational , pharmaceutical company so I'd say a basic of at least 12 , that'll be topped up by a shift rate then which will vary depending on which shift pattern they run. Previous pharmaceutical experience will be a big plus I'd imagine. They'll have lots of extra benefits like health cover to judging by there website. All looks good.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 She bangs She bangs

Pharmaceutical so I'd certainly imagine so. I wonder how skilled the work force Will have to be for the majority of the jobs. With so many former manufacturing staff out of work I'll say they'll put some team together

Very hard to get good manufacturing staff with pharma/medical device experience. Engineers from all departments when it comes to med device/pharma are in short supply at the moment. Just take a look at the engineering jobs advertised on Irish jobs etc.

But I think this is fantastic for the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

I would agree. But this whole forum appears to be populated by several people running FG agendas - with nothing being done about it. You can dress it up any way you like, but.........

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Ok, lets not turn this into another politics thread. If you want to moan about politics in general then take it to the politics forum.

Also worth remembering that just because somebody has a different view then you does not mean they automatically support FG. Thinking this way is as silly as labeling anyone who may currently dislike government policy's as a Workers Party supporter.

This thread is about good news so lets not sh*t on it,

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

this whole forum appears to be populated by several people running FG agendas - with nothing being done about it.

tumblr_lt1gp3XvY91qzozj1.jpg

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Bards

Couldn't find a positive article on the Independet about this, but as usual they did have a negative story to run with

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/cries-of-disgrace-and-shame-greet-taoiseach-29162061.html

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Bards wrote: »
    Couldn't find a positive article on the Independet about this, but as usual they did have a negative story to run with

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/cries-of-disgrace-and-shame-greet-taoiseach-29162061.html

The protest somewhat overshadowed the positive news which is in many respects ironically a shame on the protesters,

It is the Indo so i'd take it with pinch of salt ;)

Two storys on the Irish Times about it
    http://www.irishtimes.com/business/sectors/health-pharma/200-new-jobs-for-waterford-1.1341852
    http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/heritage/taoiseach-takes-to-minting-money-in-waterford-1.1342072

Not as much coverage given to the protesters, come across as alot more positive to Waterford especially the museum which is good.

Advertisement