Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving from O2 to Three... some questions

Options
  • 28-03-2013 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭

Morning all.

Looking at moving my O2 contract to Three... currently paying O2 nearly 50 a month, getting 500mb of internet (not enough), no tethering and calls and texts, which i dont use all that often (second phone... dont ask). Anyway, looking at Three, and seen both the Galaxy Note II and the HTC One (the new one. got an X already). Also seen the Galaxy S3 (like the notes bigger screen) but have a couple of questions...

1: Anyone used a Note on Three? Do you have the exact model number? is it 4G Capable?
    2: Will the unlimited internet work with Tethering, or is it just phone data?
    3: is there a mid term upgrade on three? like, can i go and get an upgrade after 12 months, or do i need to wait for the full 18/24?
    4: is Skype on the Note or S3 the Three version of Skype which allows calls though their network, or just internet skype?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

lotas wrote: »
    Morning all.

Looking at moving my O2 contract to Three... currently paying O2 nearly 50 a month, getting 500mb of internet (not enough), no tethering and calls and texts, which i dont use all that often (second phone... dont ask). Anyway, looking at Three, and seen both the Galaxy Note II and the HTC One (the new one. got an X already). Also seen the Galaxy S3 (like the notes bigger screen) but have a couple of questions...

1: Anyone used a Note on Three? Do you have the exact model number? is it 4G Capable?
    3: is there a mid term upgrade on three? like, can i go and get an upgrade after 12 months, or do i need to wait for the full 18/24?
    4: is Skype on the Note or S3 the Three version of Skype which allows calls though their network, or just internet skype?

Thanks.

1. No
    2. Yes
    3. No
    4. No (but the APK can be found with a quick google search) It is not on the S2 or S3. I have it running on S2, works no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭lotas

Mylow wrote: »
    1. No
    2. Yes
    3. No
    4. No (but the APK can be found with a quick google search) It is not on the S2 or S3. I have it running on S2, works no problem.

1 is a no, but there was 3 questions... which one is the no to? or is it all three?
    also, is 2 a yes to tethering, or yea to only phone data...

ended up ordering the HTC One... should arrive tomorrow... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭chillin_penguin

1. The 3 model should not be too different minor spec changes. 3 currently do not have a 4G network in place but are working on this due to be out at the end of year.

2. No as per 3s terms and conditions the unlimited data is for mobile use only and Tetheringis not allowed HOWEVER i use it sometimes to with no issue. I guess just dont be data hungry and they wont investigate ur usage.

3. No upgrade till you are out of contract

4. I honestly dont know. Skype calls are allowed for free on the network and u can use the data for the app no bother, but i have a iphone so cant help

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

1. N7100 is the high speed 3G version. I am writing this on it now. N7105 is the 4G version, as seen in the UK. It is very expensive SIM free.

2. Tethering is included. It is 'not allowed' on 3Pay, but is commonplace, also.

3. There are no midterm upgrades.

4. Skype is either via the actual application (from the Play Store), or via the Three app, which is not readily available, but still working. All calls are routed through a free number, like a normal call. It works without data. I have posted the app in the forum many times.

I was in the same position as you, but I have bought the phone outright and I have remained with prepay. It is far better value, even after buying the phone. Even though 4G is great, and on the way, H+ (which the network supports) is fairly fantastic for your needs, as is mine, and I'm a power user.

I believe that you should just buy the phone outright and use the €20 top up each month. I bought the phone from Amazon over €100 cheaper. Unless you really have your heart set on 4G, and will wait, take up my recommendation. If you like, PM me and I will give you more details.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭lotas

thanks for the info lads. I have an iPhone with just a data sim, which i mainly use for tethering, but was hoping to get a device i could use for both, as backup... dont plan on using it all that often. The Skype thing looks interesting though... used it on an old Skype Phone years ago... would like it back...

@StaticNoise will go looking for that APK and see if i can find it... if not, i will probably drop you a PM...

The phone i just odered, the HTC One, is an LTE phone, so when three light up their LTE network, it should, in theory, just work... When 4G comes out, i will also be looking at a MiFi type device...

Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

Yeah, drop me a line.

However, you may have to buy into a special 4G plan. SIM only may not exist for you.

Best of luck, regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Morning all.

Thanks.

Now I'll give you the correct answers:
    1 No it's the 3G/H version
    2 Not permitted on bill or prepay as per their T's & C's but I have done it on many occasions and not been charged
    3 Your upgrade is available 3 months before the end of your contract
    4 On the Note is the version you get from the play store but the 3 version is available if you search this forum

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Morning all.

Thanks.

Now I'll give you the correct answers:
    1 No it's the 3G/H version
    2 Not permitted on bill or prepay as per their T's & C's but I have done it on many occasions and not been charged
    3 Your upgrade is available 3 months before the end of your contract
    4 On the Note is the version you get from the play store but the 3 version is available if you search this forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Morning all.

Thanks.

1-Nocurrently using Samsung Galaxy S3
    2-Yes I tether all the time
    3-Not as far as I'm aware
    4-Not sure

The only good thing about 3 is unlimited Internet does appear to be truly unlimited, i tether all the time and nothing has ever been said to me, the customer service who are in India are an absolute nightmare, seriously frustrating dealing with these clowns who you can barely understand at the best of times, asides from that not the worst, certainly nowhere near as bad as Meteor!!

Advertisement