Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seeking printer recommendations

Options
  • 28-03-2013 1:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭

Couldn't find any specific printer forum, mods please move if there is one.

I'm looking for a new printer. I was down in Tesco yesterday and was pretty confused by all the varying ones as the descriptions on them weren't great. Basically the features I am after as follows

Wi-fi printing
    Copy, Scan, Print, both colour & black & white
    I have a preference for a laser jet, something where I am not changing cartridges too often.

I do not need photo printing capability. My budget is circa €80 up to €120. Reliabilty is very important as I had a cheap HP before and it gave no end of trouble. I am looking for something well built and that will last me at least 3/4 years if not longer, I don't mind paying more for a quality brand that will last the distance.

Finally I suppose the price of the laser toners are a consideration too. I am not sure how much these typically cost but I remember being annoyed at the HP price of ink, best part of €35 to re-stock it. I don't want one of these printers that they sell cheap and then shaft you on the cost of ink/tones further down the road. I don't mind paying average fair prices for toners, just don't want to get ripped up everytime I got to restock.

Also if anyone knows of any offers online or in bricks and mortar on good reliable printers please do let me know. I suppose it is better to buy a printer in a brick and mortar? (in case you have to bring it back, pstage costs could be huge I guess if it breaks under warranty?)

Thanks for any help :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

With that budget you can forget about colour Laser printers let alone a colour laser with a scanner and wifi !! I've always used Canon and found them reliable and easy to set up. Ink is expensive whatever printer you choose, though I have no experience of Kodak printers and their claim of cheaper printing.

Ken

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Ok right, I thought that colour had come down in price but obviously not.

So leaving colour aside can you recommend a Canon laserjet? And what do the replacement toner cartridges tend to cost ? Also how many B&W pages could you expect these things to print before they need replacing ?

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Rgb.ie

Currys have plenty of decent laserjets in and around the €100-150 mark, might be worth popping in for a look?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭whizbang

All new lasers, inkjets come with a "demonstration " cartridge., so factor that in first.

I have had great results with Brother lasers, Canon still tops if you can pay the price. Samsung are cheap but I dont know about reliability.

check ebay etc for the cheap cartridges, it will give you an idea about how easy they are to get.
    -Also if nobody is selling the ones you are thinking of, there is a reason:eek:

PS - epson inkjet=$39, 10 x (setof4) cartridges=€36. that will last a while.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Thanks for the replies lads, I have a good handle on the costs and running costs of them now.

I think I'll up my budget and go for a Canon from a bricks and mortar shop this weekend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Don't mean to jump your thread but am looking for a new printer myself, but need to be able to print directly onto discs, was also hoping to find one that I can get a CISS for.

Have had an Epson R300 for many years now but it has decided not to work anymore (but in fairness it owes me nothing!!).

Any suggestions welcomed.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Jocelynel

don't mean to jump in either. i'm off to buy a printer at the weekend, just needed for printing tickets, odd email

there are quite a few for €49, which will suit me grand.
    http://www.pcworld.ie/Product/CANON-MG3150-Wireless-AllInOne-Inkjet-Printer/311859/314

i'm factoring in ink costs, found this on-line website, www.inkmaestro.ie

my ink will be half the cost going by the inkjet printer i'm thinking of buying

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

RATM wrote: »
    ... can you recommend a Canon laserjet? ...
    Just to avoid confusion when out shopping or searching the interweb, HP make LaserJets, Canon and other manufacturers don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭whizbang

Just saw this one: €100

WIFI, and Print from ipad/android is fantastic..

https://www.inkmaestro.ie/Brother-HL-2135W-Black-Laser-Printer-with-WiFi-HL-2135W-i20084-t12525.html

Advertisement