Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird & Wonderful Omelette

Options
  • 28-03-2013 1:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

So I eat a lot of omelettes and I'm looking for new ideas to change up the omelettes...

My normal omelette will contain eggs(of course), cheese and then a combination of mushrooms, spinach, tomatoes...

So as you can see, a fairly boring omelette so what other combinations have ye tried, also not a vegetarian, just I have omelettes from breakfast and don't have time to coke meat(and I don't really like cold cuts)

Cheers in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Omelette with fried bacon bits and cheese and onion and mushroom and oh you get the idea! the Omelette should be treated as infrastructure upon which any number items can be laid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Me loves smoked salmon omelette, with a bit of chives.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Don't the Spanish have a thing about putting slices of Potato in their Omelettes? I have found that nice, with either pesto or basil included.

Potato omelette is indeed Spanish, I've done it once or twice. Good way of using up the odd left over spud.

This combo is my favourite for savoury pancakes, and I've done them for omelettes which turned out phenomenal: feta, red pesto, sunblush tomato, bell peppers & rocket/spinach.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I like a the frittata type. I fry chopped bacon with sliced mushrooms and onion, and sometimes chopped tomato too. I throw the beaten eggs on, some grated cheese and black pepper on top, and when the bottom is cooked I put it under a hot grill to cook the top.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Dodd

Don't the Spanish have a thing about putting slices of Potato in their Omelettes? I have found that nice, with either pesto or basil included.

Like this.:)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=82054499&postcount=578

imj6dj.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I would actually kill someone for a spanish omelette right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

If I'm making an omlette sometimes I'll start cooking two eggs as normal and then beat one with soft goat cheese, add that in after.

I bloody love sliced banana in an omlette too, dressed with a little butter. I'd love one now actually, damn it, I have no bananas!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Catphish

Reading all the spanish omlette talk has given me a hankering for one now :)
    tfak85 wrote: »
    If I'm making an omlette sometimes I'll start cooking two eggs as normal and then beat one with soft goat cheese, add that in after.

I bloody love sliced banana in an omlette too, dressed with a little butter. I'd love one now actually, damn it, I have no bananas!
    Wouldn't you be turning it into more of a sweet rather than savoury dish adding banana? I just can't imagine it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

I like adding a chopped chilli pepper.

My usual omlette is 3 eggs, splash of milk, shake of black pepper, 2 or 3 chopped scallions, 2 chopped mushrooms, 1 small chopped sweet pepper, 1 chopped chilli pepper, some grated cheddar. Into the small cast iron pan, onto the hob, drip some good quality pesto on top, then under the grill to cook the top.

Yum. That was this mornings brunch after a run.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Dodd wrote: »

That one actually could have done with another egg or two in it to be honest, was a fierce amount of spuds in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Catphish

Seaneh wrote: »
    That one actually could have done with another egg or two in it to be honest, was a fierce amount of spuds in it.
    I agree, it doesn't seem moist enough or something. I made spanish omelette after reading this thread earlier, it was the business :D

Catphish wrote: »
    I agree, it doesn't seem moist enough or something.

That would be because I left it alone while I answered the door and it over cooked, to be honest.

I've been making tortilla de patatas for years and that was probably the only time I fecked it up. Was still nice with piquillo sauce all over it.

That would be because I left it alone while I answered the door and it over cooked, to be honest.

I've been making tortilla de patatas for years and that was probably the only time I fecked it up. Was still nice with piquillo sauce all over it.

Wouldn't have thought that was one fecked up tortilla. Looks delicious to me:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I usually go for fried onions and roasted peppers. Also, I tend to cheat a little as I'm rubbish at folding or turning over omelettes, I simply fry it until I'm sure it's nearly all cooked, then sprinkle grated cheese on top and place it under the grill for a minute or so.

Very satisfying. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭detoxkid

my staple dinner these days is omlette with chirizo and goats cheese. Fry off the chirizo, then add the eggs and goats cheese. Mmm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

I usually do Potato, Chorizo, chopped pepper and some cheese in my Omelette.

I also somethings use some cottage cheese in my omelette (yum!).

Have bought eggs and potatoes for this today!

and here it is :)

o9oj5x.jpg

os4op2.jpg

Redemption, you are mine.

Tortilla de Patatas con Cebolla, Chorizo y ajo.

63479_10151547593606294_6772751_n.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

The last two look unreal...has anyone every blended avocado and egg's together for an omelette, or even a tin of chopped tomatoes with eggs for an omelette

I wouldn't bother blending the avacado but i have added chunks of avacado to spanish omelettes, it's nice.

I wouldn't bother blending the avacado but i have added chunks of avacado to spanish omelettes, it's nice.

Not a huge fan of avocado, I find the texture a little off putting, but would like to eat more of it, cause its pretty good for you

Not a huge fan of avocado, I find the texture a little off putting, but would like to eat more of it, cause its pretty good for you

Spread Guac on to sambos, it's lovely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 jackbrad

How about adding some chorizo or salami type meat to it ....

Spread Guac on to sambos, it's lovely.

I try to avoid bread :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,412 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I try to avoid bread :-)

Spread it on something else :D

mike65 wrote: »
    Potato omelette is indeed Spanish, I've done it once or twice. Good way of using up the odd left over spud.

Do you use cooked or uncooked spud in it?

I slice the spuds and part boil for 10 mins then fry them for a few mins with the bacon while pepping the rest of the ingredients.

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »
    I slice the spuds and part boil for 10 mins then fry them for a few mins with the bacon while pepping the rest of the ingredients.

Thanks for the prompt reply. I'm off to make a creation now, will be adding cous cous to fill her out a bit, pic to follow....

Advertisement