Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone find Dunphy and co. completely boring?

• 28-03-2013 1:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭

'RTE Panel is best thing about the match' I used to think like this but after about 2 years of watching them they just become so boring. You wouldn't believe how much they believe in their own hype as well. I was at a thing at the end of the Euros last year and Dunphy gave a speach about how 'they were ahead of the competition' and that 'they tell it like it is'. Just really nausuating and cringey to listen to. I don't think they realise why people actually watch them.

First time I really remember them was like Champions League 2004, in the 9 years since its the same stuff every time with them. They do have their moments of good tv but they have become rarer and rarer.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,127 ✭✭✭G1032

Yep. Used to like them myself. Can't and don't listen to them anymore, Dunphy and Giles in particular.
    I heard about the 'Bayern aren't a top team in a European sense' comment after the Bayern v Arsenal match. Comments like that are why I don't listen to them anymore. Idiotic nonsensical comments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Still find them entertaining. They're there purely to troll. Always take them with a pinch of salt and love when people bite on their outlandish statements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

Yeah I hate the standards they hold players to. Like you mention about Bayern, they were going through the team and Dunphy was just like 'he's rubbish' 'nothing footballer'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Personally if you want a good laugh then yes they are good. Sadlier talked a lot of sense but doesn't seem to be around much anymore. Enjoyed his views.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

I wish they would do a bit more research on the teams that they are meant to be analyzing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,648 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

The best thing is when Giles and Dunphy go off topic and fight amongst themselves and Brady sits between them sheepishly:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Personally if you want a good laugh then yes they are good. Sadlier talked a lot of sense but doesn't seem to be around much anymore. Enjoyed his views.

Replace the 'but' with a 'so' in your second sentence.

And therein lies the crux of the problem with RTE's analysis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

I think they're just going through the motions nowadays. Back in the 90's and prior I could imagine they were still actually interested in watching games in their own time and acquiring extra knowledge about what was going on.

However it seems to me nowadays that Giles and Dunphy (maybe not Brady) just turn up to RTE, review whatever segments the researchers have assembled, spend 15 seconds learning player names and then just play whatever 'good guy / bad guy' role the director wants them to play. It's like the blind leading the blind.

maybe we should have this thread for some of their most outrageous opinions over the years. love the way ronaldo is so much better than rooney just for the fact the panel absolutely adored rooney, they probably seen themselves in him and just couldn't relate to ronaldo.

one of my favorites was 'Ireland has better players than Inter Milan' from Dunphy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Mongarra

I wouldn't find them completely boring as they have their moments but some of the comments are predictable. After every game now we have the "Should Trap go?" discussion and there is no way Liam Brady is going to say he should. Eamonn Dunphy will keep at it until he does go and then feel vindicated as he has done with all managers as far as I can recall, and John Giles will probably want to wait and see how the next match goes.

As far as their analysis of games and play goes, I think they are a good combination although Eamonn tries to bring a bit of humour into matters and the other two, especially Liam, are rather limited in that department.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,580 ✭✭✭✭CSF

The way I look at it, if I want to hear that kinda analysis, there's loads of oul lads in any Irish bar who will talk the same drunken ****e

It's funny the first time like most jokes, but the novelty wears off really quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

The one problem I have is the "well we don't know much about them" line Giles seems to constantly use.

A bit of research wouldn't go amiss from time to time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

They're better then everything else out there which is, of course, more to do with the turgid level of general football analysis than it is to do with how good they are. At least they're entertaining after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

I'll take them over Linekar, Hanson and Shearer et al. They might not always be the most articulate bunch but at least there isn't the sycophantic, disingenuous crap you get on most of the English coverage.

I think the panel could do with the inclusion of a younger pundit, someone more aware of modern tactics etc. and who has a better knowledge of football outside the English leagues.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I think the main problem is that RTE probably view it as cheap TV and so try to extract the maximum value out of them. Is it really necessary to have an hour of analysis both before and after a match? There's only so much you can talk about and after that it's all just waffle.

The most knowledgble analyst is Brian Kerr from what I have seen. I like Roy Keane as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

I think they are a good watch, more entertaining than any of the rest of them anyway. Personally I find John Giles a bit boring, and his views are certainly antiquated by now but he does hold a certain respect from people which can needed to reign in Dunphy every now and again. The only thing that bothers me about Dunphy is he lets on to more know than he actually does. Other than that he is fairly on the money but does it in such an abrasive and inflammatory way... which I find hilarious. Brady is grand, when it's not an Ireland match :p

And of course I have grown to love Bill O' over the years, I used to think he was a spoofer but he has a very specific role there and plays it to perfection! He seems to purposely wind up the lads more and more as time has gone on too! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,127 ✭✭✭G1032

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    They're better then everything else out there which is, of course, more to do with the turgid level of general football analysis than it is to do with how good they are. At least they're entertaining after all.

Gary Neville?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Giles comes across as a simpleton, just a head with no neck. Always has this smarmy smile, like his not wearing any trousers whilst playing with his todger. The only know about players from 20 years ago, everyone else is rubbish bar Messi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I wish they would do a bit more research on the teams that they are meant to be analyzing.

This.

Giles has some decent insights but I've lost count of the times I've heard him say 'well I don't know very much about them'.

Dunphy is simply just a parody of himself.

The English caricature is to have 'yes men' talking about what great blokes the players are. The Irish is to have a miserable begrudger.

But it's football for the masses, the lowest common denominator. If you follow the game in any in depth way, then you'll know that there not saying a whole lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

I always watch em, better then motd and itv thats for sure. Neville is the best around for sure but i rather watch the rte lads for the laugh and the fact they are controversial weather its simply for controversys sake or not im not sure. I especially like when they have didi around the studio and really liked sadlier over the summer aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

G1032 wrote: »

Gary Neville?
    Neville on his own is fine actually. He's usually paired with cardboard cutouts and locked up. He'd be brilliant on RTE (like Souness was) where he could say what he liked!

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭woof im a dog

roy keane on the rte panel would be gas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

they are passed it IMO, especially Giles. Dunphy is like a broken record, he has his agends and keeps saying the same thing every time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Anytime I've seen Sadler, hes been a decent alternative to what usually makes the T.V.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Because the football world is largely populated by thickos the standard of punditry is utter pants.

They're the best (or close to it) of a bad bunch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Guys I have time for: Didi Hamann, Gary Neville, Sadlier, Gab Marcotti amongst a select few others which I can't currently think of.

Souness isn't too bad either, in that I find that I don't often disagree with what he has to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Used to enjoy them for their more frank approach. They probably peaked around WC 2006 when Souness was there and he couldnt believe what was going on around him. Been in decline since to the point where I watch Sky over them where possible as they still seem to like football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Sadler and Souness in same panel and we have at least some common sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I respect their opinions on the national team because I can safely assume they watch the same Ireland games I do and are familiar with Irish players in the EPL. I also respect the differing opinions between them on the manager etc.

When it comes to club football then they clearly seem to have less knowledge than the average fan on here and it all seems a bit ..."waffley".

noodler wrote: »
    I respect their opinions on the national team because I can safely assume they watch the same Ireland games I do and are familiar with Irish players in the EPL. I also respect the differing opinions between them on the manager etc.

When it comes to club football then they clearly seem to have less knowledge than the average fan on here and it all seems a bit ..."waffley".

Dunphy calls every player from top teams rubbish but when it comes to Ireland they are 'great lads' I hate Trap, think the man is a clown but their redicilous high standards for players go out the windown when talking about Irish players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

<Dunphyism>Boring? If you want to be entertained go to the pictures.</Dunphyism>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Some of the guys they get on the ESPN FC Press Pass show are good. Some of their opinions are wrong but they seem to watch a lot more football than the normal fare. While the majority of them are, they are not all former footballers so there is a bit more scope for a critical review of the action.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

No. Is till think they are class. Giles is a rock of sense. Brady moans. Eamo provides the humour and dynamic between the three. And Bill just winds them up. Tried a tested recipe that is by far the best on tv.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

RTÉ will become watchable now that the English sides are out. I will be looking out especially for the generic "we know how German/Italian/Spanish etc. sides play" line.
    Fizman wrote: »
    Guys I have time for: Didi Hamann, Gary Neville, Sadlier, Gab Marcotti amongst a select few others which I can't currently think of.

He's slightly better on ESPN's Press Pass, but he's paired with the Steve Nicols and Robbie Earles of 'analysts'. He does do well when he's talking with (rather than down to) other European journalists about other leagues. But he does like his opinion far too much. And he comes across as an apologist for Mancini and previously Capello.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

You need to think about what your average football fan is like. Now you know why we get the panel we do, and for that matter, why the English get what they have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

EdenHazard wrote: »
    Yeah I hate the standards they hold players to. Like you mention about Bayern, they were going through the team and Dunphy was just like 'he's rubbish' 'nothing footballer'

Some players are rubbish. RTE is quite refreshing in the fact that you have guys who will say as much,

If you want boring check out the BBC / ITV everything is rosy in the garden over there.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Anytime I've seen Sadler, hes been a decent alternative to what usually makes the T.V.

God no.

I was delighted for Sadlier when he found work in the media when his career ended but I can't stand listening to him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

There to troll but coming up with the same old tripe all the time now but then again I guess all football pundits say the same old crap every time.

Bill is starting to lose it too, he looks as old as the hills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Agreed. re saddlier
    He is painful to listen to. i think his column in the indo is perfect for him.

I would be a massive fan of Kenny Cunningham. Very insightful.
    He could be in line to topple one of "the big 3". Chippy would need to be careful to avoid the drop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

They dont understand the irony of slagging off other channels for hyping things up when all they do at RTE is hype themselves up.

Love them.

Will be a sad day when they leave.

Also, why would people watch them when they don't like them? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Replace the 'but' with a 'so' in your second sentence.

And therein lies the crux of the problem with RTE's analysis.

Replace the word 'problem' with the word 'good' in your second sentence.

Look, I know about players from teams who play in latter stages in the champions league, I know what I've seen in a 45 minute/90 minute period. I don't need to be spoon fed replays or analysis of it by company yes men where everything and everybody is brilliant, much rather hear Dunphy go off on one about Trap/Ronaldo/Roy Keane etc.

I admit its not as amusing listening to the lads as it once was, but they're still infinitely better than the alternatives, bar Gary Neville.

This probably makes me 'lowest common denominator' to some on here, and to you's I say, fair enough, enjoy your fancy schmancy college educated pundits on ESPN, the guardian and the likes, I'll stick to RTE for the lulz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

T-K-O wrote: »
    Some players are rubbish. RTE is quite refreshing in the fact that you have guys who will say as much,

If you want boring check out the BBC / ITV everything is rosy in the garden over there.

I highly doubt anyone playing for Bayern Munich is in fact in any way "rubbish"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

I would be a massive fan of Kenny Cunningham. Very insightful.
    He could be in line to topple one of "the big 3". Chippy would need to be careful to avoid the drop.
    Kenny's a tad too earnest in his talking of 'the football' for my liking. Seems to only have the one default setting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

gustavo wrote: »

Even if you are or were one of the best players in one of the best teams in the world, it doesn't make you a good manager...or pundit, imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Some of what they say is a desire to be provocative, but a lot of what they say is just down to sheer laziness and ignorance.

I've no problem with pundits being outspoken - in fact, I prefer it - but back up your outspoken views with research, please.

A few years ago you got the feeling they at least watched a few DVDs of teams and opposition players. Nowadays you get the feeling their research consists of looking at Youtube clips between songs at Lillies Bordello.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Jarrod

Let's face it, a huge amount of the time they have no idea what they're talking about, and even when they do, they talk absolute nonsense.

As someone pointed out, Giles often comes out with 'well we don't know much about them, Bill'. Would it be that hard to watch a game or two before going on the program? The game has changed a lot since he played and yet he still analyses it as though it were the same. He offers nothing.

Brady seems to be the only half sensible one, discounting his ridiculous stance on any Trap decision. He seems to have some sort of grasp on how modern football is played and coached though, which stands to reason given his recent involvement.

Dunphy either has no idea what he's talking about or else is a complete wind up merchant. I suspect it's actually a bit of both. He comes out with the same sensationalist nonsense, 'Ronaldo's a nothing player', '(Irish player who isn't starting) is a great player' etc. all the time, and frankly it's boring.

There coverage of the Champions League is farcical. They 'analyse' what ever British team is playing by dividing players into two categories. There's those with 'honesty of effort' and 'nothing players'. If it's a group stage game, they don't bother analyzing the opposition as they're probably aren't a 'real Champions League team', as Dunphy said of Porto in '04 (I forget who won the CL that year). If it's a knock out game then we either see why Barcelona are a great side or else we see why Milan, Real, Bayern etc. aren't. These two options involve clips of Messi destroying a side or of Ronaldo or Ibrahimovic or somebody being 'petulant' and not offering John's beloved 'honesty of effort'. It's boring.

For the record, I like Sadler and Souness and I can't believe I'm going to say this but when Niall Quinn first started doing co-commentary on Sky I thought he was good. Haven't seen much of him recently so I don't know what he's like now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭larchielads

sadlier souness and keano for the world cup please and if we could get gary neville for a game or 2 would be great

gustavo wrote: »

I dont know the squad inside out but some players are rubbish

• Advertisement
Advertisement