Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking into purchasing a firearm for the first time, questions

Options
  • 28-03-2013 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hey, this is my first post on these boards, which I came across while doing some research into firearm acquisition.

I'm fully aware that the legislation for firearms is posted in a sticky here. I've still got some very basic questions, however, and I hope you'll humour me.

Now, just to make things clear, I'm 18 years of age(And an Irish Citizen). I'm not a member of any gun clubs yet, this is just an initial interest and some queries before I actually decide whether or not I'll put down the financial(And legal) investment of owning a firearm. And yes, I know being a member of a gun club is a precursor to things like gaining permits, and so on.
    I did have a read through the firearm legislation, and I didn't understand some aspects of it, so;

In order to acquire a firearm permit, one of the requirements, I'm assuming, is that I must be trained is use of a firearm. Is this assumption correct?

I was lead to believe from www.gunpolicy.org that the largest caliber I am legally allowed is a .22(Are all variants legal or specifically just rimfire?), yet, upon reading through threads on this board I'm seeing people report having permits for a 9mm(.355), am I to believe that the source I read was incorrect, or are actual implementation of gun restrictions more relaxed? Or would these, in all likelihood, be considered as a "Restricted Firearm"?

As far as "Sufficient Reason" to own a firearm when filling out the application, is personal defense sufficient, or is this generally taken on a case by case basis?

If any of these questions have been answered elsewhere and I've missed it, I apologise. I did some searches through Boards and I've been researching on the internet for a while now so I just thought I'd ask.

Please & Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭viper123

You can legally own any caliber that your firearms officer deems you are allowed to have.
    However if you mention 'personal defence' as a reason for firearms ownership you can forget ever having a firearm in your posession in Ireland.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Cyridius wrote: »
    Hey, this is my first post on these boards, which I came across while doing some research into firearm acquisition.
    Welcome.
    And yes, I know being a member of a gun club is a precursor to things like gaining permits, and so on.
    Not necessarily.

Gun club, and range membership are two aspects, but you may also gain a firearm through having personal permission from individual land owners/farmers. A letter/note form these people would suffice to show you have reason for wanting the firearm.
    In order to acquire a firearm permit, one of the requirements, I'm assuming, is that I must be trained is use of a firearm. Is this assumption correct?
    While technically correct the term competent would be better suited than trained. The application process requires the applicant to be competent in the safe use of a firearm. THis can take the form of previous experience with other firearm owners that you have accompanied, and would be willing to "vouch" to this fact or as is more common a firearms competency course which can be done on most ranges, and through most organisations.

But yes, some form of experience/competence is necessary.
    I was lead to believe from www.gunpolicy.org that the largest caliber I am legally allowed is a .22(Are all variants legal or specifically just rimfire?),
    That is wrong.

The largest legal caliber is whatever your firearms officer/Superintendent/Chief Superintendent deem sufficient to your needs. So if you need a .22 you may get it, if you need a .308 you may get it, and if you need a .50cal you may get it. It is completely down to the need for the firearm, and whether the use of said firearm can be done safely or in an appropriate setting (range, etc).
    yet, upon reading through threads on this board I'm seeing people report having permits for a 9mm(.355), am I to believe that the source I read was incorrect, or are actual implementation of gun restrictions more relaxed? Or would these, in all likelihood, be considered as a "Restricted Firearm"?
    There are three "categories" of firearm.
    • Restricted - Can be licensed, but requires more "good reason" than an unrestrocted firearm. IOW why would an unrestricted firearm not fulfill your purposes. All applications must go through your Chief Super ONLY.
    • Unrestricted - Covers most firearm. These are .22 rimfire, fullbore rifles (bolt action only) shotguns (with 3 or less shot capacity). These applications are the norm, and are processed by your Superintendent.
    • Prohibited. - Refers to fully automatic firearms, grenade launchers, etc. In general military type firearms whcih cannot be licensed at all.

With regard to pistols. No restricted licenses for small arm (pistols) will be issued after November 2008 unless you held a license for that firearm before that date. You may license a .22 pistol but only if it has a capacity of 5 or less rounds, and fires .22lr ammunition only (as opposed to other rimfire cartridges)

For fulbore rifle (centrefire rifle) unrestricted are bolt action and restricted would be any semi auto. Semi auto meaning will only fire one shot per pull of the trigger.
    As far as "Sufficient Reason" to own a firearm when filling out the application, is personal defense sufficient, or is this generally taken on a case by case basis?
    The right to keep and bear arms (RTKBA) is prohibited on the forum as it's completely illegal. You cannot own a firearm for home defense. Applying for a firearm for such a reason will be met with a swift refusal.

The only reason(s) for owning a firearm are:
    • Hunting
    • Target shooting
    • Sports purposes.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Cyridius

Right, thanks for the information. I'll keep all that in mind moving forward. I've always been interested in the sport but always passively. I think I'll look into that.

Edit; Also sorry for missing the RTKBA rule

Advertisement